Reload this Page >

"My cello was upgraded and I wasn't"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"My cello was upgraded and I wasn't"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2003, 8:16 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
The airline never has to worry about the cello getting violant
Old Feb 3, 2003, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
My dog has flown UA and DL multiple times and has never flown coach.

Didn't get his own seat like the USAirways pig, so no miles.
Old Feb 3, 2003, 9:20 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold

Well as long as the poor cello didn't get stuck in a middle c-t....

-- Dambus
Old Feb 3, 2003, 9:24 am
RS

Programs: American Airlines Platinum Pro
I think a cello with a lot of miles is an unanticipated consequence of the frequent flyer program. No?

Are the miles accruing to that particular cello only or to any cello at the address of record?
Old Feb 3, 2003, 10:04 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Silver
I suppose the cello only listens to the classical channel of the inflight entertainment....
Old Feb 3, 2003, 10:52 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Yo-Yo Ma (famous cellist) travels with his Cello in a separate seat because it is like his baby. In my hotel days I met him a couple of times. Very nice man, but don't try and touch his cello! He won't let anyone touch it. No bellhops, no skycaps, nobody.

So here's my question: If I was a bigshot famous skier and I wanted to buy an extra seat for my skis, could I do that?
just curious

------------------
"I just wanna wish you good luck, we're all counting on you"
-Dr. Rumack
Old Feb 3, 2003, 11:51 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I guess if your skis could meet section 121.285 of the FARs they could go in the cabin. http://www.risingup.com/fars/info/part121-285-FAR.shtml

Kind of a foggy memory, but didn't Yo Yo Ma have to take legal action to get a frequent flier account for his cello?

[This message has been edited by letiole (edited 02-03-2003).]
Old Feb 3, 2003, 12:05 pm

Doesn't this open up the possibility of getting double miles on a mileage run by paying for 2 tickets, with one for a cello?

Scenario: buy a cheap cello, establish an account for it, pay for an extra ticket for it on any mileage run. Since frequent flyer accounts are inheritable, axe or burn the cello upon reaching the desired mileage goal, and claim the survivor miles.
Old Feb 3, 2003, 12:33 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by g_leyser:
Yo-Yo Ma (famous cellist) travels with his Cello in a separate seat because it is like his baby. In my hotel days I met him a couple of times. Very nice man, but don't try and touch his cello! He won't let anyone touch it. No bellhops, no skycaps, nobody.

So here's my question: If I was a bigshot famous skier and I wanted to buy an extra seat for my skis, could I do that?
just curious

</font>
I was actually on a flight to europe with Yo-Yo Ma (and his "baby"). Very nice guy.

In answer to your question, if the skier can prove the skis are as valuable as Yo-Yo's cello, then he can probably by them a seat. I believe his cello is a Stradivarius and is considered priceless.

------------------
Michael Steinberg
Editor
BizTrip
www.biztrip.com
Old Feb 4, 2003, 2:41 am

Long story, but I was bumped out of an upgrade by a dog one time on United.

This was a couple of years ago, and I was waiting for my upgrade to clear. I was on the top of the list, and there were two open seats. They were just waiting for the 10 minute mark to give me the seat. Right at the 10 minute mark, a woman shows up at the gate counter with a dog in a harness, like it's a dog for a handicapped person, but the woman was not handicapped in any way, and proceeds to purchase two 1st class seats for miles on the spot.

-David
Old Feb 4, 2003, 6:31 am

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
The professional golfer Greg Norman, aka the white shark, used to purchase the first class seat next to him for his golf clubs until he got his own personalized Boeing 737.
There he probably has a bedroom for his golf clubs.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by siliconengineer:
Scenario: buy a cheap cello, establish an account for it, pay for an extra ticket for it on any mileage run. Since frequent flyer accounts are inheritable, axe or burn the cello upon reaching the desired mileage goal, and claim the survivor miles. </font>
bump!

An old thread but anyone else out there buy a seat for their musical companion, I can't see the point in splashing out another seat for my Minidisc player

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.