Wiki Posts
Search

paris dining/ EATING

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2003, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UAmillion1K
paris dining/ EATING

I will be going to Paris next week and I am going casual this time. No suits or slacks, just jeans.
The problem I always run into is where to eat good food and be casual.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Old Nov 7, 2003, 8:21 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
There are lots of little places that are casual but why not just take a pair of dockers and give yourself some more dining options?
Old Nov 7, 2003, 11:23 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: Seattle, WA;HH Diamond, Avis PS, DL PM & 1MM ... back to travelling the globe consulting aerospace engineering
Definitely worth the 10 minute commute across the river to Suresnes ...

Look for Les Gallopines in Suresnes. Bruno, the owner, speaks fluent German, Italian, English, and (according to him, when he's quite drunk) French. The lamb is the absolute best you'll have in Paris. He has a great selection of wines, many from small producers he knows personally. And he also has Lutece beer on tap!

I believe he opens for dinner around 7:30P. If you need, I can get you a street address and/or phone number over the weekend. There's a city park up river of Suresnes town center, and close to Dassault Systemes (not Dassault Avaition) headquarters. This place is triangle shaped where two streets join.

When I'm in town on business, this is my hang 3 or 4 nights per week. And you'll be equally at home in a 3-piece suit or jeans/polo-shirt.

Bruno's also a collector of beer pint glasses and coasters ... just in case you want to make an instant 'in'

GMF
Old Nov 7, 2003, 1:09 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Get the Metro to Mabillon or St Sulpice. Walk around to rue des Cannettes. Around here, there's 3-4 streets packed full of friendly, informal small restaurants and brasseries (with very good prices, too - you're looking at set menus around €15). Almost all are excellent. Particularly recommended is the Séraphin, at 5 rue Mabillon (www.seraphin.fr). Book ahead.
Old Nov 7, 2003, 10:18 pm
RS

Programs: American Airlines Platinum Pro
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jetseter:
I will be going to Paris next week and I am going casual this time. No suits or slacks, just jeans.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
</font>
A jetsetter with just jeans? For some food in Paris it's worth renting a tuxedo or ball gown.
Old Nov 7, 2003, 10:31 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Why not scroll down to the Paris Forum and check topics for the past 90 days or so. Many good suggestions there (FT Travel (Paris). You can also take a look at FT Dining (Paris).

[This message has been edited by obscure2k (edited 11-07-2003).]
Old Nov 9, 2003, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jetseter:
Any suggestions?
Thanks
</font>

In Paris, jeans is not casual.

Old Nov 9, 2003, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Brassarie Lipp on St. Germaine. Make a reservation. Finding someone who acknowledges speaking English is sometime a problem, but worth it for the food. Hearty food, especially things like the charcutte and steak/frites. Always packed from my experience.
Old Nov 9, 2003, 12:21 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GadgetFreak:
Brassarie Lipp on St. Germaine. Make a reservation. Finding someone who acknowledges speaking English is sometime a problem, but worth it for the food. Hearty food, especially things like the charcutte and steak/frites. Always packed from my experience.</font>
Be sure to request a table downstairs, not upstairs. The food is Alsatian, so if you like herring you will be in heaven.
Old Nov 9, 2003, 2:23 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">The food is Alsatian...</font>
And I thought that was a trend reserved for UK kebab shops...
Old Nov 9, 2003, 4:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by stut:
And I thought that was a trend reserved for UK kebab shops...</font>
Im guessing it isnt exactly the same. And Lipp has been there for some time. I agree about trying to get a table downstairs, it is much nicer. I have only been upstairs once. The food and service is fine up there but not nearly as good for people watching. It is a very bustling place downstairs. Mainly Alsation but other things as well, the charcutte and sausage are Alsation and some other things. An altogether outstanding "every day" restaurant in my book. Someone told me that Mitterand used to take his mistress there for dinner. Never knew if that was true. It isnt a 3 star restaurant but then again dinner for 2 wont cost a grand and it is informal

Another place to consider I dont know the name of, it just opened. You can probably find on the web. Joel Robuchon, considered by many to be the top chef in Paris some years back left and opened a place in Tokyo. He is back in Paris with an informal restaurant that has the cooking in the center of the tables so the customers can watch. He cooks there sometimes himself. It is informal and no reservations. Try doing a search on Robuchon, it will turn up something (if I spelled it correctly )
Old Nov 11, 2003, 4:19 am

I had a great meal just off the Champs Elysees the other weekend. I have placed a review at http://www.aardvarktravel.net/chat/viewtopic.php?t=2062 if you would like to have a read.

------------------
Travel Search Engine
Travel Directory
Travel Forums

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.