Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Relocation

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2003, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Relocation

My relocation has begun. Four different people called me from the relocation firm...the 'project manager', the real estate person, the mortgage person, and the temporary housing person. I now have 'people' as in "have your people call my people." Oh, and a fifth person call regarding my home inspection. Five calls in under 24 hours. I am running out of cell minutes!

The major drag is that the company issues you a relocation credit card for the airfare, hotels and car rentals. All those credit card purchases and no credit card airmiles. Argh!

------------------
Help! I've fallen in status and I can't get up.
Old Nov 4, 2003, 8:42 pm

Programs: Exxon Mobil Supertanker, WN Double Peanut, Accor Golden Cockroach
You have it easy! My relocations have been "do it and charge it on a budget."

Good luck on the move (where are you going?)!
Old Nov 4, 2003, 9:06 pm

Programs: (Ż`'•.¸Hyatt Globalist * AA Gold * Delta Silver * Marriott Platinum * Hilton Gold¸.•'´Ż)
I didn't think it would matter who paid, as long as the ticket, hotel & car reservations are in your name...so you still get the miles & points.
That's how it was for me when I relocated, company made all the booking for me, I simply presented my miles & points card # at check-in.
Old Nov 4, 2003, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

I wrote that I will not be getting miles for the credit card transactions. The 'seat in the seat' miles are a different story.

And I am headed to MSP.

------------------
Old Nov 4, 2003, 10:13 pm

Programs: (Ż`'•.¸Hyatt Globalist * AA Gold * Delta Silver * Marriott Platinum * Hilton Gold¸.•'´Ż)
My apologies, I misunderstood.
Old Nov 4, 2003, 10:19 pm

Sounds like you have it tough. In February, when I finished grad school and started a postdoc, my new employer (UC Berkeley) handled relocation by suggesting that I rent a U-Haul at my own expense. :-)
Old Nov 5, 2003, 5:12 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
comicwoman- good luck, and may The Force be with you. Just finished a NJ-KS move in July. Even with the company picking up the cost, the actual move was wrenching. It took us months to find our collection of refrigerator magnets from Rio, Budapest, Rome, etc.

My company issues a credit card to be used for ALL business expenses and it doesn't provide miles. Of course, I get the usual points and miles for flights and hotel nights, but I miss being able to use my own credit cards to rack up more points.
Old Nov 5, 2003, 8:08 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
My first "good" company relocation was when I was 24. Any and all moving expenses, 6 months of temporary housing in New York, paid accomodations in DC for 4 months, $10,000 relocation cash bonus for miscellaneous expenditures, housing assistance including any real estate or closing-related costs for 2 residences. All this was grossed-up along with a gross-up to help offset the tax liabilities; and I got tax filing assistance too. I think that my employer got its money's worth out of me while I was there and afterwards as I still refer my clients to route business over there.

The only sad thing is that I did not know much about the airline and hotel programs back then, or I would be sitting on a few more miles. The only comment I got from the HR people or my relocation team was "How are your flight costs so low?" [I booked everything using youth fares or the student travel agency.]
Old Nov 5, 2003, 8:20 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Comicwoman:
My relocation has begun. Four different people called me from the relocation firm...the 'project manager', the real estate person, the mortgage person, and the temporary housing person. I now have 'people' as in "have your people call my people." Oh, and a fifth person call regarding my home inspection. Five calls in under 24 hours. I am running out of cell minutes!

The major drag is that the company issues you a relocation credit card for the airfare, hotels and car rentals. All those credit card purchases and no credit card airmiles. Argh!

</font>
Count your blessings. I have paid for two interstate moves, one that reimbursed me $1200, and the other ZERO.

------------------
"Yippie-kay-yay, Mr. Falcon!" -- John McClane, Die Hard II As Seen on TV
Old Nov 5, 2003, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JS:
Count your blessings. I have paid for two interstate moves, one that reimbursed me $1200, and the other ZERO.

</font>
If they were not doing the full relo package, then I was not moving. While I am excited about the job and the opportunity (been years since I had those feelings), I was not going to pay tens of thousands of my own money.

BTW, I would like to thank all of you that have offered advice here and on the GLBT forum.

------------------
Old Nov 6, 2003, 12:40 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
SO when's the housewarming party?
Old Nov 6, 2003, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I relo'd to France and had the same menagerie of support people. But they were French and of course no help.

My package included 6 weeks in a hotel for me and the missus. So I found a house on the 2nd day and exchanged the money for the 6 weeks in the hotel for money for cool furniture and some kitchen supplies. At the end of my term in France, they moved all the stuff back that I bought and I got to keep it.
Old Nov 6, 2003, 1:44 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Comicwoman:
And I am headed to MSP.
</font>
Perfect timing (and congratulations)! I booked 4 mileage runs on UA into MSP on just about every Saturday morning in January, so maybe we can catch up on one of them. I'll e-mail as it gets closer.

Old Nov 6, 2003, 1:52 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by HomelessScientist:
my new employer (UC Berkeley) handled relocation by suggesting that I rent a U-Haul at my own expense.</font>
I was down at Cal a few hours ago, helping my friend Natalie, who swims there (everyone knows Natalie), move into her new condo a few miles off campus. Were you able to get anyone to help you with the move and do it yourself, or did you hire a moving company?
Old Nov 6, 2003, 9:06 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
congrats CW!!! What's the new job???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.