Experiences getting Russian visa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experiences getting Russian visa

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2003, 9:29 am

Programs: AAPLT, SK/G, A3/G
As a Canadian, we probably enjoy more visa-free entries than most other countries

As off April 2001, the government of Czech Republic placed a visa requirement for Canadians who want to enter the Czech Republic for pleasure.

At first I was confused as to why this requirement was placed, but after doing some research, I found out that Czech Republic became an origin point for European Gypsies who seeks to enter Canada and stay illegally. In order to stop the flow of these 'visitors' who are likely to become illegan residents, Canada started requiring Czechs to apply for a visa

And in response, Czech Republic starts to require visa for Canadian visitors. The requirement by the Czech government is nothing more than to maintain equal status, so to speak. From my internation relation studies, this seems to be a very typical thing for governments to do

Now, someone used the US-Mexico example. For obvious reasons, US requires visa for Mexican nationals. It would stand to reason that would do the same to the US. However, the economic benefit of having American tourists travel to mexico and spend hard currency as a tourists far outweigh whatever benifit Mexico will have by putting up a visa requirement to maintain the status quo.

I'm sure the amount of money American college kids contribute to the Mexican alcohol industry during spring break is quite noticable
Old Sep 13, 2003, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
I just wanted to relate my experience on this. After reading the posts here on the subject, I decided to try and apply for Russian visas without using a professional service. Our hotel (Radisson in St. Petersburg) provided the necessary invitation and voucher and I followed all the directions on the Consulate site. There were a lot of them, but they were very thorough. Our passports came back 2 weeks later with all the visas and the entry documents.

Yes, it's a pain and it's unfortunate that the regulations and the expense discourage people from visiting a country that badly needs tourist dollars- but at least the process worked. Compare that to my rant on Brazil (see the thread on Brazilian visas) where the Consulate was no help at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.