Middle seat diaper change

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Middle seat diaper change

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2003, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DeirdreTours:
As a mother of three-- the youngest currently 5 months old (and a former flight attendant)--I can tell you that there are many times when the baby can't wait and many times when no better changing place is available.

Despite the wonders of disposables-- they will leak when overfilled. If you think watching the baby being changed is gross, I doubt you will much appove of loose stool running down the babies legs onto the airplane seat.
</font>
Bingo! Diapers sometimes leak. Delaying changing them only invites a disaster.

When my kids were in diapers, I changed them wherever, whenever I thought it best.

On the floor in front of my seat if the lav had a line or the seatbelt sign was on or if we were in a holding pattern prior to landing. Nobody ever questioned me or caused me grief (and I pity the fool who might have tried to cause me any grief over this issue.)

Besides, if you think the seats and tray tables are clean and free of fecal matter (even without diaper changing), think again.
Old Jul 30, 2003, 11:20 am

Location: PDX, AMS, MSN, ORD. Dedicated to finding a cure for Republicanism in our time. "Won't you please help"? "For the children's sake"?
Programs: ! "Ya can't tell da' playahs wit'out a program!" NW silver, DIRT everywhere else.
Yuck!!! Don't the airlines have rules against this? I know I would expect compensation if the airline allowed this to happen next to me. A crying child is one thing but when a parent endangers the health of other passengers to releive a childs minor discomfort, they have definitely crossed the line. Kids crap, kids cry, get over it. If there is an 'emergency', either the parent chose to wait too long, or their child is probably too sick to fly, in which case bringing them onto the plane is irresponsible and negligent parenting. Either way, there is NO excuse for exposing other passengers to fecal matter (food service excluded ). And before you ask, yes I do have kids.

[This message has been edited by HigherFlyer (edited 07-30-2003).]
Old Jul 30, 2003, 12:19 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FWAAA:
When my kids were in diapers, I changed them wherever, whenever I thought it best. </font>
Are you aware of the bacteria and other hazmats in human feces?

There's a good reason why people can survive drinking urine, but not by eating their own stool.

Your attitude is not only incredibly selfish, it is also deeply irresponsible with regards to the heath of the public at large.

Regards,
Alex

Old Jul 30, 2003, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by alexwuk:
Are you aware of the bacteria and other hazmats in human feces?</font>
Yes, completely aware. That's why I didn't smear the poop on the seats or other pax. It's easy to change a diaper neatly.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Your attitude is not only incredibly selfish, it is also deeply irresponsible with regards to the heath of the public at large.</font>
Selfish and irresponsible? Hardly. I made an informed choice and did what I considered best at the time. Neatly changing the diaper prevented an even messier situation from possibly developing.

And if the time arises, I'll do it again with my grandchildren someday.

Our mileage on this issue varies. Substantially.
Old Jul 30, 2003, 12:44 pm

Location: PDX, AMS, MSN, ORD. Dedicated to finding a cure for Republicanism in our time. "Won't you please help"? "For the children's sake"?
Programs: ! "Ya can't tell da' playahs wit'out a program!" NW silver, DIRT everywhere else.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FWAAA:
Selfish and irresponsible?</font>
Yes, as alexwuk stated, it was INCREDIBLY selfish, and DEEPLY irresponsible. You would NOT have gotten away with it if you were sitting next to me. I'm sorry, but as one parent to another, if you actually believe this is ok, you need to seriously re-evaluate your family's hygiene.
Old Jul 30, 2003, 12:52 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
So, an overflowing poopy diaper would be preferable to a changing at the seat?
Old Jul 30, 2003, 1:08 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JS:
So, an overflowing poopy diaper would be preferable to a changing at the seat?</font>
If it's overflowing than at least it's dropping on the person with the baby and not getting splashed on other passengers.

Old Jul 30, 2003, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JS:
So, an overflowing poopy diaper would be preferable to a changing at the seat?</font>
I guess.

The world is so full of intolerant individuals - who think they know best (or at least more than me).
Old Jul 30, 2003, 1:10 pm
JS
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by beergut:
If it's overflowing than at least it's dropping on the person with the baby and not getting splashed on other passengers.

</font>
It's the same with changing the diaper but more messy.
Old Jul 30, 2003, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM, AA EXP MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Avis First (oh boy)
The world is so full of intolerant individuals

And selfish ones, who think that they, their car, their kids, whatever are the only important thing in the universe.

If the diaper is in danger of exploding, I find it hard to believe that you can neatly and efficiently clean it without making a mess...

While I'm at it - what the heck ever happened to pacifiers?!?!?! Why do parents with wailing children think the rest of us find it amusing? Put a sock in it (the child) if you don't have a pacifier!

Of course, this is the same country where adults take babies into rated R movies so they can cry and ruin my movie watching experience. Can't find a sitter or afford one? WAIT FOR VIDEO.

&lt;/rant&gt;
Old Jul 30, 2003, 2:17 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, , AA Gold, Bonvoy Titaniu
Believe it or not, parents are not encouraging their children to cry for the pleasure of annoying you. Some infants are easily soothed with a pacifier, some are not (one of mine loved her "paci", the other two weren't impressed with them). Parents w/ children are on the plane for the exact same reason you are--That is-- to get to the destination. No one, least of all the parent, likes to listen to a baby's cries. Unfortunately, all babies cry at some time. Get over it.

As an FYI on the diaper issue: The normal infant stool (especially a breastfed infant) is very loose. This is not an indication of illness. If left unattended, it stands a good chance of dribbling out of the diaper. If the mother lays a blanket on the seat, changes the baby and disposes of the wipes and diaper in the air sick bag (which should then be given to the FA)--Your health isn't being "endangered" by the diaper change.

I was a flight attendant for 5 years and saw many on board diaper changes. When I flew, only the A310 had changing tables (and only in one lav). We allowed the changes anywhere on board with the exception of the galley. Sometimes parents attempted it on the aisle floor, but this isn't usually workable as it stops all traffic for the duration. In all the time I flew, not one passenger EVER complained to me because a baby was being changed next to them. And, if they had, I would have advised them to step into the galley until the change was over if they were offended by the sight.
Old Jul 30, 2003, 2:30 pm
Original Member

Not disagreeing with corbetti or anyone else here, and I acknowledge I'm going a little off-topic, but sometimes during descent, the babies are crying because the air pressure differential is hurting them.

I've heard that some things can alleviate this (like sucking on a pacifier), but sometimes there is nothing to be done until they're old enough to equalize the pressure themselves.
Old Jul 30, 2003, 2:39 pm

I'll say it again. If the diaper is too full, it is the parents fault for not getting up off their seat and changing it sooner, or using a brand of diaper with a larger capacity. To change a diaper ANYWHERE on a plane just before landing as in the original post is simply unnecessary. The parent should have waited until they were in the terminal bathroom where there is enough room to do so without endangering other passengers. If a parent is unable (as opposed to unwilling) to leave the seat, they should ask for assistance from the FA's to get to the WC.
I'll ask again, don't the airlines have rules against this?

[This message has been edited by HigherFlyer (edited 07-30-2003).]
Old Jul 30, 2003, 3:01 pm
JS
Suspended

It's the parent's fault for not changing the baby before he poops when the seat belt sign was off? Babies don't care what miniature lights are on or off in the cabin. They go when they feel like it.

Is it safe to assume you don't have kids? There is no such thing as a diaper with "more capacity". A bigger diaper won't stay on the baby's butt, and then you're guaranteed to have a mess on your hands, pun intended.

I have three kids, and never did my wife or I have to change the baby on the plane (all flights &lt;= 3.5 hours). It's not a very common occurrence that this is necessary, but when it does happen, it's gotta be done or it just gets worse real fast.

[This message has been edited by JS (edited 07-30-2003).]
Old Jul 30, 2003, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by HigherFlyer: Yes, as alexwuk stated, it was INCREDIBLY selfish, and DEEPLY irresponsible. You would NOT have gotten away with it if you were sitting next to me.</font>
Would you have tried to stop me?

Is there anything else I shouldn't do while seated next to you for fear that it will deeply offend your sensibilities?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.