Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refund of Canada GST (tax) on lodging/tours

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2003, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Refund of Canada GST (tax) on lodging/tours

Any recent experience on getting the Canadian GST (goods and services tax) refunded on lodging and/or tours?

I was just in Canada (vacation, not business) and was pleasantly surprised to learn that lodging and tours that include lodging are eligible for the refund.

Of course, I have already printed out the official Canadian government brochure and form at:

CCRA Tax Refund for Visitors to Canada

(I know better than to use the rip-off agencies that take a cut for themselves.)

Post your tips here. (The deadline is a year away, so there's plenty of time for me to send in the form.) Thanks!

Kathy
Old Jun 8, 2003, 3:58 pm

I always forget to send mine in

My friend was in Vancouver a few months ago and turned hers in. I think she got her refund very quickly -- a couple of weeks.
Old Jun 8, 2003, 7:36 pm

I live here but would love to get my GST back

Hope you enjoyed your trip
Old Jun 8, 2003, 7:54 pm

Programs: Recovering long-time AC SE100K (currently E50K), Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
I've submitted several over the past couple of years and they are always processed quickly. Keep in mind that if your travel destination is the province of Ontario, you may also be eligible for a refund of provincial retail sales tax on all goods purchased, provided you spent at last $50 on each item and took the item with you when you left the country. Photocopies of receipts are acceptable for the provincial submission, but possibly not the federal GST refund application, as I recall.
Old Jun 8, 2003, 7:56 pm

Programs: Recovering long-time AC SE100K (currently E50K), Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
The link to the form:

http://www.trd.fin.gov.on.ca/userfil...Rsie_f0298.pdf

BTW, the only time I filed for a refund of the Ontario provincial tax, I had to follow up with a reminder that I hadn't been paid after several months. After the reminder, the payment came within a week or two.
Old Jun 8, 2003, 11:51 pm

GST refunds are quick and painless. Just fill out the form, enclose copies of the receipts and shoot it off to the given address.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CanuckFlyer:
I've submitted several over the past couple of years and they are always processed quickly. Keep in mind that if your travel destination is the province of Ontario, you may also be eligible for a refund of provincial retail sales tax on all goods purchased, provided you spent at last $50 on each item and took the item with you when you left the country. Photocopies of receipts are acceptable for the provincial submission, but possibly not the federal GST refund application, as I recall.</font>
I didn't purchase much in the way of goods, and no single purchase even close to $50 CAN.

But the refund on lodging GST will be nice.

One question: can I get a refund of the provincial (Ontario) tax on lodging as well?

Kathy
Old Jun 9, 2003, 8:10 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
I live in a province with no sales tax, so I can't comment on the Ontario refund, but I believe that the minimum price in order to qualify for the GST rebate is $125 / night...
Old Jun 9, 2003, 8:24 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by YYCOllie:
I believe that the minimum price in order to qualify for the GST rebate is $125 / night...</font>
Absolutely not. I have obtained GST rebates on rates as low as C$65/night.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 8:38 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by KathyWdrf:

One question: can I get a refund of the provincial (Ontario) tax on lodging as well?

Kathy
</font>

Sadly no. The provincial tax reimbursement only covers goods, not accommodations.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 12:18 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
having donehtis many a time

the rules are

you have to have spent total of $200 CDN AT LEAST on accomodations to be eligible - there is no per night requirement.

you have to sned in the ORIGINAL receipts, not copies, but keep copies. As thjis makes it probematic if it's lost, I always send my forms in global priority mail. It's * or so but it's been worth it,

Takes about 2 months, but after that time you can call and the summerside tax office will usually have you in their system. The good thing is one you're in the system subsequent trips take much less time.

if you do buy goods you want to request a rebate for, you;re supposed to havew them inspected at the airport before you leave. We haven't and have not (to this point) had a problem.

Old Jun 9, 2003, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yes, the requirement for a minimum expenditure of CDN $200 on lodging is clearly stated on the "do you qualify for a tax refund" page.

Also, I find the requirement for "original" receipts somewhat laughable. The original receipt from the hotel is always computer-printed. A photocopy looks identical to the original. So how do they tell what's an "original" and what isn't? (This requirement must date back a few decades!)

Kathy
Old Jun 9, 2003, 1:53 pm

I've never sent in originals and I've always had my check processed within 3 weeks.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 2:29 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by squeakr:

if you do buy goods you want to request a rebate for, you;re supposed to havew them inspected at the airport before you leave. We haven't and have not (to this point) had a problem.

</font>
I have always had my goods stamped by Canada customs before I leave the country. Technically they can refuse to refund you the tax if you do not take this step. Depending on your departure time, it can be difficult to get your receipts stamped. Canada Customs offices are located in Canadian airports that have flights to US destinations, but sometimes they don't open early enough for very early departing flights. In that case, I've sometimes had my receipts stamped the day before, but only if I'm staying at an airport hotel anyway. I've never tried submitting non-stamped receipts for goods. (Hotel receipts definitely do not need stamping by customs.)
Old Jun 9, 2003, 3:51 pm

First time I bothered to claim it back it took about 6 months, just remembered coming up to 12 months for the last lot. !

Never did get mine back from Cyprus despite putting it in the box at customs.

Nigel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.