Search

"Now you're beginning to understand. I WANT the poor children to starve."

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2003, 8:05 am
ATC
Original Poster

Location: Boston, Freefall: Chairman's Preferred -->Steerage Status
"Now you're beginning to understand. I WANT the poor children to starve."

I debated posting this in the Hilton forum, but I have had a similar recent experiences in a restaurant, and even a dry cleaner. Is this a trend?

I recently returned from a delightful weekend at the Caribe Hilton in San Juan. Upon checkout, I noticed that the hotel automatically adds a $1 per night charge called K.I.D.S. This apparently stands for Kindness In Donation and Services, which is directed to "local non-profit organizations which devote to children's needs." You can ask to have this removed, however you will get a look like you are certified baby-killer or child molester.

Dunno if it's me or not, but isn't this crossing some sort of line? If the hotel wants to donate to a charity, that's fine. So is a jar at the check-out counter. But an automatic charge? Now I appreciate their civic-mindedness, but this isn't with their money, it's with mine. This also effectively precludes instant check-out if you object to "donating" to the charity of their choice.

Yeah, it's only a buck. But...
Old May 24, 2003, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Many concerts add a $1 charitable donation to the cost of your tickets (above the ticket cost, ticketmaster service fee, facility fee, s&h fee).

It's unfortunate to hear this trend spreading. Nothing against charity, but the person who is doing the giving should be able to decide how much and who gets it.
Old May 24, 2003, 9:35 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
I don't have a problem with the automatic charge, but the hotel in return shouldn't cop the least bit of an attitude when someone wants the charge removed.

In fact, I think there should be a notice saying "this is charity, and we will gladly remove (or increase, as the case may be) the charge upon customer request."
Old May 24, 2003, 9:37 am
RS

Programs: American Airlines Platinum Pro
I think it's not a good idea for a profit making business to tack on this charge as opposed to the business making this donation from ordinary revenues.

Old May 24, 2003, 9:46 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
I dislike the policy. The money they raise is not theirs but will gadly donated in their name. What is even more frustating is that they will get a tax credit for the donation. So for them it is a great win - you donate the money, they give it to charity, they get the tax credit. They actually can make money in the process!

If given the choice I never give money through a third party (not even the "penny" box at different stores), always give (generously I may add) directly to the charities of my choice.
Old May 24, 2003, 10:14 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fromYXU:
they will get a tax credit for the donation. </font>
I doubt they are entitled to receive a tax deduction (much less a tax credit)for these third party donations--I think the taxpayer has to bear the economic burden of the contribution before it is deductible.

[This message has been edited by Babu (edited 05-24-2003).]
Old May 24, 2003, 10:34 am

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RS:
I think it's not a good idea for a profit making business to tack on this charge as opposed to the business making this donation from ordinary revenues.

</font>
Thanks for the headsup on this.

How Tacky. I can decide where my charity contributions go, thanks.

And what about charities which one may object to or in whom one may have little faith?

(United Way's support of the Boy Scouts of America comes to mind, as does the mis-managed American Red Cross)

What if the hotel starts "donating" to Planned Parenthood or Zero Population Growth or the ACLU?
Old May 24, 2003, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree with you...if the hotel wants to donate that is their business.

But donating your money with the "negative option" -- forcing you to put your foot down if you don't want to donate -- is very poor business because it makes you feel awkward.

A customer shouldn't be put in this position.
Old May 24, 2003, 11:20 am

I too brave the look of disgust that I want poor children to starve. I now ask for a statement of accountability before asking for the charge to be removed. "What percentage goes to the children? What percentage goes to administrative costs? You don't know? Then I'll need to have it removed until I have this information."

For all I know it's a Hilton office skimming off funds for the CEO's limo.
Old May 24, 2003, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I also give to charities of my choice and always ask for this charge to be taken off, for two reasons.

1. all the reasons stated above
2. if travelling on business, I can't include this $1 charge on my expense account and it is a major pain in the patooty to do an expense report on a corporate credit card removing this charge and then paying the $1 myself (via check) to that same corporate card.

------------------
http://www.benjaminwagner.com
Great music!
Old May 24, 2003, 2:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I think it's outrageous to charge you for a charitable donation without your consent. I have not experienced this though if I were to find this on my hotel receipt, I would first ask for a brochure describing this charity. If they had one, I'd take it and then demand that they remove the charges from the hotel bill. I would tell them that I'll decide how much to give, not the hotel and that it will be my gift, not the hotel's. If they don't have a brochure or any literature, I'd demand that the charge be removed because it smells of a scam.

[This message has been edited by Analise (edited 05-24-2003).]
Old May 24, 2003, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by richard:
But donating your money with the "negative option" -- forcing you to put your foot down if you don't want to donate -- is very poor business because it makes you feel awkward.

A customer shouldn't be put in this position.
</font>
Amen to that. I also dislike grocery stores hitting you up at the register to "round up" the bill to the next dollar to donate to this or that.

But what makes these practices especially annoying is how, on the other end, companies will try to claim the full public-relations credit for the contributions for themselves -- the same as if they had made a corporate contribution from profits.

Apparently the "new" mentality is that charitable contributions should no longer come out of profits. Rather, they should be extracted separately from customers, but credit claimed should be the same.

It definitely merits complaining to the company, too, IMO.
Old May 24, 2003, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Too, it might make for a good comeback to tell them that you only donate to charities directly, not through third parties.

Or mention the separating-of-expenses, if it applies. Good posts.
Old May 24, 2003, 4:35 pm
ATC
Original Poster

Location: Boston, Freefall: Chairman's Preferred -->Steerage Status
Perhaps I am making too much of this.

If I had the presence of mind, I would have given the desk clerk six one hundred dollar bills for the $650 tab. When questioned, I would have responded that I was going to donate the remaining $50 to the homeless woman who hangs out by the entrance to the lagoon. I would let them know that I would make the donation in Hilton's name.

Certainly, they would have obliged.
Old May 24, 2003, 5:12 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA GLD
When I send hotels fax confirmations for my hotel stays, I always have a written comment included: "Kindly remove all 'charitable donations' from my bill." With the exception of the first time I saw this occur, I have not seen it again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.