Wiki Posts
Search

Las Vegas airport tries souped-up check-in kiosks

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2003, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS , AA CK
Las Vegas airport tries souped-up check-in kiosks

The Las Vegas airport is set to unveil a new type of self-service kiosk that some industry insiders say will do for airport lines what ATMs did for the bank teller queues — shorten them.

The machines making their debut next month will be the first at any airport in the world to issue passenger boarding passes for multiple airlines.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/biztra...19-kiosk_x.htm
Old May 20, 2003, 10:11 am

LAS has been known for its "1st's". For example, it was the first airport to have complete control over its gates (as opposed to the airlines themselves). In this way, an airline that needs an extra gate need only request one from the airport.

Now if they can just get the security line situation under control.....

BTW, I encourage everyone to visit the Las Vegas forum as well. I'm the moderator.

------------------
Michael Steinberg
Editor
BizTrip
www.biztrip.com
A site for travelers by a traveler with 20+ years experience
Please visit my site and let me know what you think.

[This message has been edited by businesstraveler (edited 05-20-2003).]
Old May 20, 2003, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS , AA CK
I agree, TSA sucks at LAS. Took me 40 minutes to clear security into AA's terminal last time I was there.
Old May 21, 2003, 12:43 am
Original Member

They have common security lines that do not permit elite or First-Class flyers to bypass the line.

They have common arrival/departure screens that never show accurate delay information.

I do not have high hopes for the common check-in kiosks.

QL
Old May 21, 2003, 3:22 am

42 total kiosks for 28 airlines? Hmmmm.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
The Transportation Security Administration will soon require Las Vegas travelers to obtain their boarding passes before passing through security, a mandate already in place at many airports.
</font>
Huh????

-David
Old May 21, 2003, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Unfortunately the new kiosks will do NOTHING to eliminate the ridiculous 1+ hour lines at TSA checkpoints. I will be avoiding LAS until they reconfigure the security system.
Old May 21, 2003, 9:15 pm

Programs: UAL IK;Marriott Plat Elite;Hyatt Diamond;Hilton Gold;Hertz Presidents Circle
I fly out of LAS D gates each week and the last few months I have not seen a line at security. I have waited no longer than 5 minutes...
Old May 21, 2003, 9:57 pm

As of this morning, you can go through security with only a "security document". I observed someone in front of me with just a home computer print of their flight purchase & itinerary. I went ahead and got my boarding pass at the SW kiosks downstairs.

I think the Shopping Center convention was ending & folks were heading out, but lines were already building at security at 10:00 AM this morning (Wednesday). I also observed that with the latest Orange thingy, random gate checks seem poised to make a comeback.

JP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.