Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Variance between domestic and international airline sites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2003, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

I was wondering what sort of discrepencies people have noticed for an international airline offering different fares/specials based on the individual countries websites.

For example, on one occasion I needed a ticket from Hong Kong - Delhi - Hong Kong (I received a free ticket from YVR-HKG-YVR) and was searching for the lowest fare on CX. Local travel agent quoted about $1100.00 CAD. Cathay's website quoted about $900.00. THE CATHAY SITE BASED OUT OF HKG showed a fare of about $650.00 CAD and allowed me to book it even though it was in the HKG site.

What other variations have you seen with international vs. domestic sites?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Mike
Old May 21, 2003, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Even right now I checked the same routing and the Hong Kong site shows a fare of 4867HKD and the Canadian site shows a fare of 7830HKD. A whopping difference of 2963HKD. Let me know if you find other major fare differences.
Old May 21, 2003, 5:05 pm

Programs: AAPLT, SK/G, A3/G
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mikeinseattle:
I was wondering what sort of discrepencies people have noticed for an international airline offering different fares/specials based on the individual countries websites.

For example, on one occasion I needed a ticket from Hong Kong - Delhi - Hong Kong (I received a free ticket from YVR-HKG-YVR) and was searching for the lowest fare on CX. Local travel agent quoted about $1100.00 CAD. Cathay's website quoted about $900.00. THE CATHAY SITE BASED OUT OF HKG showed a fare of about $650.00 CAD and allowed me to book it even though it was in the HKG site.

What other variations have you seen with international vs. domestic sites?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Mike
</font>
my mom flies TPE-SFO regularly. buying TPE-SFO-TPE in taiwan costs twice as much as buying SFO-TPE-SFO here in the US. one time she had enough, ditched her return flight, and start buying SFO-TPE-SFO tickets and leaving the return leg open until for a few months...
Old May 21, 2003, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I am correct, it has something to do with where the ticket gets issued. I have noticed very similar discrepencies.

For example, some of BD's W fares can only be ticketed in Western Europe. If I were to ticket from Canada, I would have to pay for V class.

I'm noticing the samething right now trying to book LHR-SYD on SQ. Canadian travel agency is quoting me &gt;2000CAD while here in the UK, it's quoting me 1275CAD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.