Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Things to do and see in Tulsa

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2003, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Things to do and see in Tulsa

posted on another thread in response to a question, but maybe others will find useful:

If you are into art, Tulsa's has not one but two world-class museums: The Philbrook and the Gilcrease. The Philbrook's collection is amazing, but the building is equally cool. It was the home (mansion) of the Phillips family that founded Phillips Petroleum (there's a brook on the grounds, so Mr. Phillips named the place Philbrook). A great collection of European art.

The Gilcrease is top-notch when it comes to western art. It's also in a beautiful setting and, if you go, you must see the half-cirle room with a huge picture windows overlooking the Gilcrease Hills.

If the weather is nice, I recommend a visit to RiverParks and maybe the Rivers Edge bistro and cafe (on the river just south of 21st Street and Riverside Drive). No signs, but you'll see all the people at tables outside. They usually have some music in the evenings if it's a weekend). RiverParks has an extensive trail system for bikes, walking and jogging.

If you are downtown, there are some good lunch spots on the Main Mall, mainly around Bartlett Square (Fifth and Main). The Main Mall is easy walking distance from any of the downtown hotels like the Adam's Mark. The Downtown Doubletree is a bit farther, but still a fairly easy walk.

Pomodori's is an expensive place for good Italian food. Bravo's, in the Adams Mark Hotel, is an even more expensive place for dinner.

My favorite place downtown is Arnie's Bar, 318 E. 2nd St. near 2nd and Elgin: A cheap, very casual Irish pub. Good music on the weekends, and it's right downtown. I'm not sure how much food they serve (if any) but it's the best bar downtown.

just north of downtownThere are a few restaurants and nightspots in the Brady Arts District (the Bowery and Caz's are the best bars here). Mexicali restaurant has good Mexican food at reasonable prices. Also a Spaghetti Warehouse on the east edge of Brady District. Those are about the only highlights in this area, which is near the intersection of Brady Street and Main Street.

Other than the above, there's not much to do in downtown Tulsa and even less after 5 p.m. There are a few nightclubs on First Street, just east of the Williams complex of office buildings. Those are for the young crowd (18-25)

The nearby Cherry Street district (a short drive to 15th Street & Peoria Ave.) is a bit more restaurants and nightlife. Best pizza in town can be had in this area, at Hideaway Pizza, 1503 E. 15th St. (Cherry Street is the local name for 15th Street)

Bourbon Street restaurant is also here, as is the Full Moon Cafe (a fun little bar with a light food menu like hamburgers and such). And the nearby Brookside area (33rd and Peoria) probably has even more restaurants than Cherry Street. There are some good restaurants and bars in Brookside, but I don't go there much so I'm not familiar with what's there now.

If you are near U.S. Highway 169 and 71st Street then you are right in the center of Tulsa's new growth area. Much suburban sprawl here. Tulsa's biggest mall, Woodland Hills, is in this area at 71st and Memorial. Many, many restaurants to choose from all along 71st Street between Memorial and Garnett. But this area doesn't have the character of Cherry Street or Brookside.

If you are in the University of Tulsa area, the Hardwood is a fun little sports bar across the street from the Reynolds Center. Lots of students hang out there on the weekends, so it's kind of a young crowd. I go there to watch TU basketball games. Just don't go in the biker bar next-door unless you are a biker.

If you are (for some reason) in the Catoosa area, east of Tulsa then Molly's Landing is a great restaurant. One of the best in the area. But it's a fairly long drive from downtown Tulsa - a good 35-40 minutes away.

If you have kids with you, the Tulsa Zoo is a great place for families. It's a bit out of the way on the north side of town though (15 min. drive from downtown, 30 minute drive from 71st Street). Brand new Oklahoma Aquarium does not open until July, but I would recommend that as well (if it was open yet)

Here's a good site for things to see and do in Tulsa: http://www.visittulsa.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.