Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR to LGW

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2003, 10:40 am
Original Poster

LHR to LGW

My flight from Boston to London was changed from arriving in LGW to arriving LHR. Unfortunately, I had already booked a flight from LGW to Inverness. My question is, has anyone had experience trying to get from LHR to LGW on a Saturday morning in July? Best way? Will 3 1/2 hours be enough time to clear customs, get on a bus, and get through security at LGW? Very frustrating.
Old May 8, 2003, 11:18 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
The search function is located in the upper right hand corner of the page.

A search in Travelbuzz forum yields info below:

http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/002959.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/008407.html

A search in the London Travel forum yields info below:

http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/000161.html
Old May 8, 2003, 11:28 am

I didn't think that any airline operated BOS-LGW since Delta dropped the route a couple years ago. What airline were you booked on?
Old May 8, 2003, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B747-437B:
I didn't think that any airline operated BOS-LGW since Delta dropped the route a couple years ago. What airline were you booked on?</font>
I am booked on Virgin Atlantic on a FF ticket from Delta. Originally it was scheduled for LGW.

Old May 8, 2003, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi scotlass,

I have done the reverse ( LGW-LHR)( from VS) in just over 2 hours ( via central london) and it should not be a problem.

The best way is probably the Speedlink coach ( about 1 and a quarter hours) .Get off at the North Terminal and head to the domestic check in zone.

An alternative but more costly would be the Heathrow Express to Paddington ( 15 mins) Taxi/Underground to Victoria then Gatwick Express to Gatwick ( 30 mins) then the tram to the North Terminal.

Regards

TBS
Old May 8, 2003, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by The _Banking_Scot:

The best way is probably the Speedlink coach ( about 1 and a quarter hours) .Get off at the North Terminal and head to the domestic check in zone.
</font>
Thanks. Do you know if EasyJet is at North Terminal?
Old May 8, 2003, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi,

Sorry I thought you were travelling British Airways (BA) ( North Terminal)

Easyjet is South terminal ( so get off the bus at the South Terminal)

Regards
TBS
Old May 8, 2003, 3:07 pm

Programs: KL, BD, BA, CO
Hi Scotlass,

if time is tight and you still want to transfer airports, you might be better taking a taxi from one to other, but not the black cabs (thieves!). you can book a local radio taxi to do the flit around london... more expensive than the bus but you'll know you'll get there faster.

Websearch on "airport taxi's london" will provide a goodly number of options.

good luck!
G
Old May 8, 2003, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by scotlass:
I am booked on Virgin Atlantic on a FF ticket from Delta. Originally it was scheduled for LGW.</font>
As B747-437B implies, you might want to check with Virgin directly as to whether they ever flew BOS-LGW. I don't remember it. I have an October 2001 timetable showing it as BOS-LHR.

You may have been given duff information by DL - and therefore have reason to shout at them. Metaphorically speaking.
Old May 8, 2003, 5:44 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
If you happen to have Upper Class tickets on VS you may qualify for the limobike transfer from LHR to LGW (if VS is still operating this service -- quite an experience I have heard, though no personal experience with it). You get to be passenger on a BMW that weaves through traffic and gets between airports at 1/3 the time of the bus. One of those Branson-esque experiences that only VS offers ....
Old May 9, 2003, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi,

VS did originally operate from LGW-BOS before moving to LHR a few years ago as I flew LGW-BOS in 1999.( 2000 I think)

Orignally,this summer, VS was due to start a five times weekly flight LGW-BOS to complement the daily LHR-BOS flight.
However this was before Iraq and SARS and as a consequence of the reduced travel demand it has been suspended with no indication of when it would return.

I personnally doubt it will be this year as we will probably be into the Autumn/Winter season before the service can be set up again and it would be the worng time of year for a new service. ( Next summer if demand picks up, it might return)

Old May 11, 2003, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
The great thing about FT is you an always rely on someone to have exactly the right info, however obscure!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.