Wiki Posts
Search

Has This Ever Happened to You?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2003, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Exxon Mobil Supertanker, WN Double Peanut, Accor Golden Cockroach
Has This Ever Happened to You?

I was booking a flight on AA.com, and after I selected the flight for purchase, a window popped up that said "The purchase price of your flight has been changed to $xxx.xx. Do you want to continue or select another flight?"

The price of the flight was lowered, so I purchased it. This has been the first time it has happened to me (and I book online all the time). Has this happened to anybody else?
Old Apr 18, 2003, 5:28 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Wow... interesting. Never happened to me.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 5:49 pm

I wish...interesting.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 6:43 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by boilermaker:
The price of the flight was lowered, so I purchased it. This has been the first time it has happened to me (and I book online all the time). Has this happened to anybody else?</font>
Nope.

Old Apr 18, 2003, 7:52 pm

Yes, it has happened to me. But the new price in the pop-up window was higher.
Old Apr 19, 2003, 11:02 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bamboola:
Yes, it has happened to me. But the new price in the pop-up window was higher.</font>
Me too. But on Expedia.
Old Apr 19, 2003, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes. The reason is a technical one.

Browsing for fares is different from booking in these systems.

When you browse, rather than check the computerized inventory from the airlines, which is slow and costly, these online systems use a cache that stores the most recently updated inventory figures.

When you book, they actually go out and get the "real" figures. Sometimes the inventory that the cache listed is now unavailable, so the system retrieves the "real" inventory, and figures out the "real" pricing at that time. Occasionally it will be different from the browsed figures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.