Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

what's the closest you've come to an upgrade, but failed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2003, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN Platinum

Flying out of east coast today, extremely packed flight. I'm 1st on the list for upgrade, been waitlisted for a week, and UA still has not cleared me.

Anyway, at the gate, I'm eagerly waiting, as I'm 1st on the list, and it's 15 minutes before flight departure time. The CSR at the counter is pressing keys to get me upgraded to 1st class. Just as she's about to press the final button, up walks the final First Class passenger. She got her first class seat by a hair.

Two more seconds, and that 1st class seat would have been mine...

But exit aisle seat made the trip more tolerable than would have been expected...
Old Apr 18, 2003, 5:22 am

I've actually had a boarding pass for the upgraded seat but was relegated to coach because someone else had claimed the seat first and the crew were in a hurry to get going. Mid-flight, the purser finally checked the other guy's pass (which turned out to be for a coach seat) but allowed him to continue up front while I fumed in steerage.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 5:52 am

I had arrived very late for my SR flight from NRT to ZRH, ~30 minutes before departure. I get to the counter and after much heming and hawing, was able to to convince them to check me in. A few minutes after I got to the counter, another passenger shows up. I was feeling all chuffed for having gotten them to let me on the plane holding my very freshly printed boarding card when I hear his agent say, "It looks like the last Business Class seat was just taken, would you mind sitting in F?"

Grrrr

Sometimes things go your way, sometimes not.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I was flying LAX-SFO & just as the agent was giving me my upgraded boarding pass, the other agent said wait, we have someone w/ higher (can't remember if it was revenue or status-I was PremEx at the time, not current 1K) who walked up at the last second & they gave said boarding pass to that individual instead, so he got to sit next to Robin Williams (the comedian) instead of me. (:

------------------
Sharon

[This message has been edited by SkiAdcock (edited 04-18-2003).]
Old Apr 19, 2003, 4:09 am

I was gifted a HK-49 for UA JFK-SFO, and given top priority even though I was only a 2P at the time. Once I got to the airport though, the plane filled up, and I was relegated to 9th on the upgrade list, with only 4 seats available.

goodo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.