Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Cheapest & most effective way from LAX-SAN?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2003, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Hi,

I'm considering doing a mileage run out of SAN, unfortunately I'm unsure of how to get down there from LAX. Do any FT'ers have any tips on the cheapest, most effective way of getting down there and back? I need to somehow get from the Airport at LAX to the Airport at SAN...

I have considered hiring a car, but somehow I need to drop it off at SAN... perhaps I could bid for a car on priceline with a pickup in LAX and drop off in SAN.. is this possible? any other ideas??
Old Apr 1, 2003, 6:35 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
Well, Amtrak from Union Station LA (Downtown) to San Diego is $24. You need to get to and from the trains tations (easier in SAN than LAX) but it may be a relatively cheap option if drop-off fees come into play with a rental car.

The train trip takes just under three hours...
Old Apr 1, 2003, 6:54 am
Community Director Emerita

We often rent a car to drive home from LAX. It costs roughly $50 for a oneway rental south; a oneway rental north is usually $30.

We host a lot of foreign students, and have investigated every form of transportation south from LAX - bus, train, commuter jets, shuttle van. I haven't found anything that beats renting a car one way in terms of minimizing cost and time.
Old Apr 1, 2003, 9:11 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Hitchhiking, jogging, bicycling all strike me as being fairly cheap.
Old Apr 1, 2003, 9:22 am

Programs: AA CK, DL GM, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH DIA
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Spiff:
Hitchhiking, jogging, bicycling all strike me as being fairly cheap.</font>

Bicycling is quite pleasant and healthy as well. : )

Old Apr 1, 2003, 9:31 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Don't forget Swimming...... They are both close enough to the sea
Old Apr 2, 2003, 5:28 pm
R&R

Are there any Greyhound buses making the run around?

Old Apr 2, 2003, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The "most effective way" in your thread subject -- I guess they are all effective if you get there

Old Apr 3, 2003, 12:28 am

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, HH-Gold, MR - Gold, HY-Explorist
I went ahead and punched in a random saturday for a LAX-SAN rental in Avis using NO coupons or discount codes.
for May 3, it is 21.99 + 1.81 tax = 23.80 for a subcompact. There is no surcharge for the one way trip. I'm sure you could do better is you look around.
Can't imagine that anything short of getting a ride from a friend is going to be cheaper and more convenient than that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.