Reload this Page >

Mauritius & Seychelles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mauritius & Seychelles

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2003, 6:54 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by curt:
If you ask travel people in Europe, most will rank the Seychelles way above Mauritius in terms of beauty, unspoiled waters, superior beaches etc.</font>
I would not argue with that assessment, but still Mauritius is a very beautiful, interesting place and well worth a visit.

Old Mar 28, 2003, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum; Marriott Platinum; SPG Gold
This decision was too hard for me. I wanted to visit Mauritius but spend enough time in Seychelles... so my fiancee and I are extending our time. We're now spending the entire month of November there: 1 week in Mauritius (with a couple of days in Rodrigues), 5 days in Praslin, 5 days in La Digue, 7 days in Alphonse/Desroches (scuba package) and 3 days in Mahe. To be able to afford this, we had to downgrade from business to coach. OUCH. Oh well... Thanks for the input everyone! I'll give you an update when I get back. =)
Old Mar 29, 2003, 7:00 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Wow...I hope you will have a wonderful time and am looking forward to hearing about your trip...I would love to go there myself. Are you going to use that Indian Ocean airpass? That one seems to offer a pretty good value.
Old Mar 29, 2003, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

What Indian Ocean airpass?!!! I didn't hear anything about that...
Old Mar 29, 2003, 9:39 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by curt:
Skip Mauritius? I thought Mauritius is a higher ranked island than Seychelles... I wish I had more time. I guess I can stretch my vacation but I'll have to stay in more budget hotels.</font>
When I was still working in the travel industry, we had the saying that Mauritius is a 2 star destination with 5 star hotels, while Seychelles is a 5 star destination with 2 star hotels (well, the quality of the Seychelles hotels have changed a lot, but the rest should still be valid!). If you ask travel people in Europe, most will rank the Seychelles way above Mauritius in terms of beauty, unspoiled waters, superior beaches etc.

While on our vacation in Seychelles 2 years ago, the same phrase was used by the locals as well. We heard this from a young visitor from the UK who had been living in Mauritius and went on vacation to Seychelles for a month ... now that says something!
Old Mar 30, 2003, 12:16 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by californiagrl:
What Indian Ocean airpass?!!! I didn't hear anything about that...</font>
I saw it on this webpage:

http://www.skyways.de/ap/indian_ocean.html

It's all in German, but you can get an idea about the prices there. Seems rather cheap to me. Hope it helps.

Old Mar 30, 2003, 12:27 pm

Some more info on it:

http://www.airseychelles.net/news/IOP.html

http://www.tulipstravel.com/airpass/seychelles.htm
Old Mar 31, 2003, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Looks like I can't use the Indian Ocean airpass since I didn't buy my ticket from either Air Seychelles, Air Mauritius or Air Austral. I'm using my AA miles. What a bummer! A small price for going to heaven on earth... =)

[This message has been edited by californiagrl (edited 03-31-2003).]
Old Mar 31, 2003, 10:28 pm

When I was researching my trip to Mauritius and the Seychelles about 3 years ago, I also looked into the Indian Ocean Airpass. Considering the price, the restrictions involved and the distances covered, it didn't seem like any great bargain to me.
Old Apr 1, 2003, 8:02 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Looks like I will be the only negative comment on Mauritius!

I went in September 2001 for our honeymoon and hated it. I found the hotel to be very nice but just didn't like the resort feel to the island. The hotels are great but outside of that I didn't find that much we enjoyed.

We were booked for 14 night but after 2 we got back on a BA to LHR then went on to NYC instead and had a much better time.

I/We maybe odd. EVERYBODY else I know who has been loves it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.