Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How is the drive from San Jose to Tahoe/Incline Village?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How is the drive from San Jose to Tahoe/Incline Village?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2002, 12:58 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cblaisd:
Isn't it actually I-580 east and then I-205 east (follow signs for Tracy, just after coming down the Altamont Pass where the windmills are) to I-5?
</font>
Yup.
Old Dec 18, 2002, 9:19 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by number_6:
Of course Auburn is of Reno (and east of Sacramento). If you go 100 miles east of Reno you are in for a different kind of surprise (the bleakest country you'd ever want to see in December). </font>
Ack. I'm blushing.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
While Auburn is quite nice, much of the gold country is nicer (albeit a bit further from the highway), however during an El Nino winter you must be prepared if you go on the back roads (it can be rugged and even life threathening). It is possible for 3 feet of snow to fall in a few hours and most people aren't prepared to deal with that while driving around.
</font>
I agree on all counts; I was once near Foresthill (east -- really -- of Auburn about 20 miles and only at 4000 feet and had a sudden snowstorm of almost 6 inches in an hour.

Old Dec 18, 2002, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
{{{{Rudi, GoodKarmaGuy, tom911, moondog, letoile, terenz, beachfan, cblaisd, number-6, RichardinSF, and blair, of course...}}}}

Thank you for providing such helpful advice, y'all are the bestest!!!

beachfan is right, I am a Southern Belle living in Taratown, absolutely unable to drive in the snow or slippery crooked winding narrow mountain roads!

Mom will be with me, that does not help much either.

Okay, mother and daughter shall fly from SJC to RNO and then take a shuttle to Incline.

Big Hugs,
belle
Old Dec 18, 2002, 2:24 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RichardInSF:

Donner Summit gets an average of 15m (50 ft) of snow each winter. So anyone taking this route should know how to drive in stormy, snowy conditions.
</font>
Keep in mind as well that we just had a HUGE storm pass through the Bay Area, dumping tons of snow on the Sierra. Up at Donner they have been without power for days. There is going to be a lot of snow out there, so make sure you know how to drive in it. Also, keep in mind that another storm (with forecasted blizzard-like conditions for Tahoe) is rolling in tomorrow.
When are you planning this trip for?
Old Dec 19, 2002, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by wannabe:
When are you planning this trip for?</font>
Thanks, wannabe, tentatively we plan to go Dec. 28th and return Jan. 4th, are both peak 'driving' days?

Old Dec 20, 2002, 9:11 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

A webcam from Lake Tahoe:

http://www.ceres.ca.gov/sierradsp/index.html
Old Dec 20, 2002, 6:11 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
belle, you've made the right choice.

Have the driver honk as you pass my trailer.
Old Dec 20, 2002, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by terenz:
Thanks, I had forgotten about that. About 6 years ago, Tahoe was shut off for a few days due to snow and mud slides. Due to the poor traffic outflow at Truckee, the backup stretched from Truckee to just about South Lake Tahoe (about 30 miles!)</font>
1996- took me 3 days from LA to the South Shore - but did see lots of snow and got a RC upgrade at the Hyatt on the North Shore - after a night in a motel g-d knows where

Old Dec 21, 2002, 2:00 am

Location: PPSP. Yeah, I'm the bartender at that fancy 5-Star that forgot you said no salt on your freakin' frozen margarita. Listen up people! NO FROZEN DRINKS!
First, have fun Belle.. you are truly traveling to one of the most beautiful spots on the planet....

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tom911:
the mountains.

California road conditions (you'd be going over I80):

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/

</font>
BTW (hope this is syill on topic) for all you Bay Area FT's: you can now dial 511 from your cell (dunno if it works from a landline) and it wtell you up to date traffic info. So far (I have used it 2/3 times) the info was updatyed it FAST. I was on 280 and the traffic was stopped. 511 had the info on there before the tow trucks arrived! NOT *511... just 511.

(Hey, and is this for all of Cal? )

------------------
"Waiter? May I have another latt, please?"
Old Dec 21, 2002, 11:18 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jan_az:
...in a motel g-d knows where </font>
I think that's somewhere near Bishop

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.