Wiki Posts
Search

What do you wear for Business Class?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2002, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

What do you wear for Business Class?

I know I shouldn't care, but I'm female and travelling Business on an internationl flight for the first time. Should I avoid jeans and jogging shoes and go for my almost-designer outfit? What about my faithful old backpack?

P.S. I hope I can ask about the First Class someday.
Old Oct 28, 2002, 6:48 am

Best advice is, smart casual. But you should really wear anything you want (within reason!)

Good luck with your flying career, and rack up those miles!
Old Oct 28, 2002, 6:52 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
wear the same things that you feel comfortable (for yourselve and regarding the impression you want or don't want to make to third 'parties') in any class of service.
Old Oct 28, 2002, 7:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
You don't need to avoid the jeans, comfy shoes, or backpack. Honestly, nobody cares one iota. Be comfortable.

My wife and I recently got back from a short European backpacking trip. Not only did we go casual all the way, but I can't remember what one other person on the aircraft looked like or was wearing. (We always fly biz using miles or upgrade awards to/from Europe.)
Old Oct 28, 2002, 7:19 am

Send me your pic and I'll tell you how much you should wear.
Old Oct 28, 2002, 8:20 am

You can always tell who the Americans are since they are the only one's wearning sneakers.
Old Oct 28, 2002, 8:45 am

CTM, wear whatever you like. It's a long flight---wear what you would wear in coach.
Old Oct 28, 2002, 9:37 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Same thing you would wear on an ATR, in coach or in F.. it doesn't matter
Old Oct 28, 2002, 9:50 am

On long flights, I wear what I would on a long road trip.

Don't worry about what the other PAX are thinking about your attire, because they are not paying you for your flight or theirs, and you are not paying them.

Erik.
Old Oct 28, 2002, 10:50 am

Just my opinion, but I am amazed at how bad some of us look in our old T-shirts and especially the loose sweatpants.
Old Oct 28, 2002, 11:03 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Wear whatever you want, especially if you've already got the ticket (better dress might improve your chance for an upgrade at the gate, but it sounds like you aren't looking for one). The main rule is to be comfortable so you can sleep or rest, which is the great advantage of business class over coach.

The backpack doesn't matter either because that disappears into the overhead compartment.
Old Oct 28, 2002, 11:05 am
In Memoriam

Location: Grand Rapids, MI USA UA 1K, AA EXP 1MM, SQ PPS, BA GOLD, Hyatt D, Hertz Plat and AMEX Cent
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by minatonka:
Just my opinion, but I am amazed at how bad some of us look in our old T-shirts and especially the loose sweatpants. </font>
This is not a fashion show - it is an airline flight - I think the whole dress for success game on airplanes is silly.

I fly 10-15 long haul F segments international each month and I always wear baggy sweats, a BIG T shift and running shoes - for 10,000 dollars a crack ALL I care about is my own comfort.

With any luck the other PAX will think I am beneath them and leave me ALONE - I also do not fly to socialize, but to reach my destination refreshed and ready for business.
Old Oct 28, 2002, 11:19 am

I do not care if anyone spends 10K on their ticket or not, common deceny calls for wearing decent clothing. Someone wearing sweats is showing disrespect for his/her fellow passengers. The airline lounges do have dress codes -- it is a pity that the lounges do not enforce them.

I was in the flagship lounge in DFW last year and some person was wearing very baggy sweats, a T-shirt full of holes, and he had is bare feet up on the table. To make things worse, he was drinking this green slime out of a milk jug carton. This person was enough to make me get up and seek refuge in the Admirals Club. For all of you saying wear what you want, I can only hope this person does not sit next to you on your next long flight.

Old Oct 28, 2002, 11:36 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

think comfortable but classy. chico's has great travel wear. My official long haul travel outfit in business is draw string knit pants and cotton sweater set. I can take the cardigan off if it is hot or can leave it on if it cold. I wear slides for shoes. I can slip on the socks in the Biz Class amenity kits but can slip my shoes on easily over the socks to go to the lav. I always carry my backpack in biz class. It is not a fashion show.
Old Oct 28, 2002, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Wear a smile and pack a great attitude. IMO, nothing else matters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.