Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you ask fellow passengers to stop doing something annoying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2002, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

On a flight last Monday (3/11) from LAS to ORD on UA766, there was a man seated in 2C who ripped paper the entire flight. I don't just mean 1 or 2 sheets, I mean 50+ sheets. The ripping sound was very annoying and I looked back at him occasionally with no success. I was VERY tempted to get up and talk to him, but then considered the possible problems and decided to grin and bare it. Who anyone have done something different?

BTW, I give the flight details in case someone from here was on the flight as well.
Old Mar 18, 2002, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G
I was seated comfortably in 3B on a CO ATL-IAH flight a few weeks ago when right before push-back, a silver elite was brought up front from coach for a last minute upgrade.

I got up to let her and it wasn't even before she sat down that she began filing her nails.

Personally, the noise of a nail file in action has been "one of those sounds" for me and it drives me crazy. Second, the disgusting thought of a passenger next to me doing it caused me to look over a few times in disgust. She stopped almost immediately; I think that she got the picture.

[This message has been edited by dbaker (edited 03-18-2002).]
Old Mar 18, 2002, 4:38 pm

I do not think I would say anything. I look at it this way, they may be doing something that I consider annoying, but what if I am doing something that annoys them?
It is little things like this that you have to forget about.
Old Mar 18, 2002, 4:48 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dbaker:
I was seated comfortably in 3B on a CO ATL-IAH flight a few weeks ago when right before push-back, a silver elite was brought up front from coach for a last minute upgrade.

I got up to let her and it wasn't even before she sat down that she began filing her nails.

Personally, the noise of a nail file in action has been "one of those sounds" for me and it drives me crazy. Second, the disgusting thought of a passenger next to me doing it caused me to look over a few times in disgust. She stopped almost immediately; I think that she got the picture.

[This message has been edited by dbaker (edited 03-18-2002).]
</font>
I thought it was just me. The thought of an emory board makes me cringe.
Old Mar 18, 2002, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't like to get into confrontations in these situations.

I don't mind nail files, but I do hate people who clip their nails.

The airplane isn't your home, regardless of how much you fly. Anything you would normally do in the bathroom at a nice restaurant - you should do in the bathroom on an airplane or not at all.

d
Old Mar 18, 2002, 5:18 pm

Programs: Ex UA PremEx
I remember a flight where we were sitting in first class and one of our fellow fliers sat their clipping his nails.

It wasn't the noise that got to me, it was tht thought of someone clipping their nails on a plane

If someone is doing something particulary annoying, that no matter how hard I try I jsut can't ignore, I find a glare works wonders.

A glare can say so much without saying anything at all

Phoebe
Old Mar 18, 2002, 5:51 pm

Believe it or not I once sat behind a woman who not only filed her nails but was also painting her nails and the noxious fumes were awful, I asked the flight attendent to have her put it away. The woman apologized to those sitting around her and said she was so used to the smell that she didn't realize it was offensive.
Old Mar 18, 2002, 6:27 pm

When I am capable, I like to hit them back with the gas attack. Silent but lethal.
Old Mar 18, 2002, 6:46 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gamble0813:
I was VERY tempted to get up and talk to him, but then considered the possible problems and decided to grin and bare it.
</font>
So what did you flash at him?
Old Mar 19, 2002, 6:14 am

I think it "we" must say something in a good manner...
Old Mar 19, 2002, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How do you get the little kid to stop kicking your seatback when the parents don't care.
Old Mar 19, 2002, 7:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by slawecki:

How do you get the little kid to stop kicking your seatback when the parents don't care.</font>
I've had this happen two or three times. What I have done is to ask the parents again in a somewhat louder voice to kindly ask their children to refrain from kicking their chair in front because it can cause me to get a terrible stomach ache which can lead to nausea. And think how terrible that smell might be. Fellow pax tend to look at the parents in such a way to encourage their cooperation.

If these dense parents (so concerned about 'quality time' with precious little Merritt that they refuse to discipline him) give me some rude response, I simply ask for the lead FA, tell him/her the issue---especially the part about the nausea---and the FA always manages to either move the family to other seats or insists that a parent switch seats with the child.

It works every time.

Old Mar 19, 2002, 8:17 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Analise:

It works every time.

</font>
I can see why.
Old Mar 19, 2002, 9:55 am

Gum popping pax in the seat behind me drives me CRAZY.
If a few annoyed stares don't do the trick, I just count to twenty and remember how silly it would seem to me to read about someone strangling a fellow pax at 30K feet for popping their gum. Clipping nails is also bad but doesn't last as long.

[This message has been edited by Soonerman (edited 03-19-2002).]
Old Mar 19, 2002, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Soonerman:

Gum popping pax in the seat behind me drives me CRAZY. </font>
I can certainly empathize. Unfortunately there is little which can be done for that except perhaps bring a walkman with music you enjoy to drown out those who haven't mastered the art of gum chewing with one's mouth closed. Can't use my nausea excuse for unpleasant sounds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.