Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Will U.S. customs drug dogs notice if you've been "smoking" ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2001, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Wednesday night 20/20 Downtown had a segment on Holland and the shops where people can legally buy and use marijuana.
It seems to be quite a tourist attraction to those with long layovers, and I wondered if
drug dogs would hit on someone just because of smoke or residue on their clothes. "But, Officer, I was standing next to someone who was smoking. It wasn't ME!"
Old Aug 30, 2001, 10:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UAL Premex
Yes, they will.....any drug dog can smell residual on a human....can they do anything about it.....no.
Old Aug 31, 2001, 9:08 am
Original Member

Can they do anything about it?--Sure, if the dog identifies you (and even if it does not) customs can subject you and your luggage to a full search (on a whim) anytime they want when you are entering the country.

So, while the customs people can't "do anything" in the sense of ARRESTING you because the dogs sniff "smoke", they can sure make your life unpleasant for a while. I would think that many people would believe that the prospect of a full customs search alone would deter them from enjoying legal substances in other countries on the date of travel, or especially during layovers.

Needless to say, of course, your life would get much more unpleasant if a search of your person or luggage then resulted in the discovery by Customs of any substances which, while legal in other countries, are not legal in this country. Proceed with caution.

Djlawman
Old Aug 31, 2001, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Djlawman:
...Needless to say, of course, your life would get much more unpleasant if a search of your person or luggage then resulted in the discovery by Customs of any substances which, while legal in other countries, are not legal in this country. Proceed with caution.

Djlawman
</font>
I'd say, do not proceed.

Old Aug 31, 2001, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL MM
Funny this came up - I was in Amsterdam in June and the night before we left we went out to eat at a nice place, and a few of the local couples lighted up. These were well dressed, middle age folks who enjoyed dinner with wine and some pot. The smell was pretty strong and it does cling to your clothes. Anyway, I made sure to give the shirt a good cleaning that night before having to face the dogs in Atlanta. As we arrive in Atlanta, going down the escalator to baggage claim, we're greeted by the customs guys....

Nothing happened

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.