Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I tip the maid? [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2007, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
I tip five cents for every thread on FT about tipping housekeeping -- that means my current tip is $132.15 a night.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by opus17
I tip five cents for every thread on FT about tipping housekeeping -- that means my current tip is $132.15 a night.
Thanks for the tip (no pun intended). Do the maids usually accept Visa and AMEX?

MisterNice
Old Mar 24, 2007, 6:40 am

What if hotels were run like airlines? You would be carrying your own bags, making your own bed, emptying the trash, replenishing the legal-sized 3 oz. shampoo, etc. etc. A grim thought.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 9:15 am

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
For short, overnight stays, no, I don't. For longer stays, I generally do.
For example, many of my longer stays are at the HIX, Lompoc, CA. After the second night, I'll generally leave 10 bucks. At the end of my stay, I'll leave another 10 or even a 20. If it is an 1.5 week or longer stay, I'll usually leave another 10 sometime during the middle of the stay.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 10:21 am

Programs: DL, BA, AA, UA, HHonors, PC
I agree and feel it is included in the bill. Why should I have to tip when the hotel is making $100/night for me to sleep, shower and use a small amount of electricity? If the management were truly concerned about the occasional messes left in hotel rooms, they might consider bigger trash cans. Let the management/owners take a pay cut and pay their staff more!
Old Mar 24, 2007, 10:47 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by Bonehead
I don't get it when people don't tip hotel/motel maids. I really don't.
Why? The maid is paid to do a job. They should do that job with or without a tip.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 10:50 am

Programs: UA GS, Amex Centurion, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by PSUhorty
For short, overnight stays, no, I don't. For longer stays, I generally do.
For example, many of my longer stays are at the HIX, Lompoc, CA. After the second night, I'll generally leave 10 bucks. At the end of my stay, I'll leave another 10 or even a 20. If it is an 1.5 week or longer stay, I'll usually leave another 10 sometime during the middle of the stay.
How do you know if it's the same maid day after day?

You could be tipping for a week of service and the person who cleaned your room for the past 5 days, who now has a day off gets zero and the fill in person just scored!
Old Mar 24, 2007, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Originally Posted by saccoNY
How do you know if it's the same maid day after day?

You could be tipping for a week of service and the person who cleaned your room for the past 5 days, who now has a day off gets zero and the fill in person just scored!
It has crossed my mind. If that does in fact happen (which I'm sure it does), I still walk out of my room feeling good about myself and that I just helped make someone else feel better.

I should also say this:
I'm with many here who say tipping has gotten waaaaay out of hand. I'm actually a big proponent of NOT tipping for things I don't believe should be tipped. These would include: Starbuck's employees (that actually pi**es me off), my garbage man, postman, Subway sandwiches employees, etc, etc, etc.

Lastly, the following post by Feliceesq is not illustrative in the LEAST as to why I tip the maids. I'm of the opinion that if you're not happy making what you do/hour, find another job. I tip becuase I appreciate what they do.
My eyes were really opened by this book by Barbara Ehrenreich (I highly recommend it). She is a university professor who took off time from teaching to see what work was like in these types of minimum wage jobs. She described things like people who had to live in their cars, because it was too difficult on a minimum wage to get together the security deposit and first month's rent.
I never fail to leave money. What seems to be a pittance to us, an amount equal to a latte, means so much to someone making $250 a week. Getting 20 bucks a day more is a godsend to some people. It might mean that someone has money enough to eat or get medicine or buy their child a "new" outfit at the Salvation Army thrift store. When you are flying around, getting upgraded, staying at nice hotels, eating dinners on expense accounts, just think about sparing a few bucks for the maid.
And I won't even get into the whole argument about the hotel should be paying their people more.....they aren't, and a few bucks means a lot to some people. (Just be glad it isn't you....)
Old Mar 24, 2007, 4:35 pm

Yes, each day. Generally paper cliped to the comment card filled out with good marks and a line in the comment section, "For Housekeeping, Thanks, and my first name. In the US 2USD in the more basic hotels and motels I stay. If I can't say anything nice about the hotel I leave it blank.

I keep the room tidy (it pays so you don't leave anything behind) and leave the bath and sink clean and free of my sheding's. And always the toilet spottless. Maybe the German in me.

I am now a hair short of 60 from (for America) an old city for the mid atlantic states. Untill about 1960 service staff were instructed to call children "Master X." It was a class issue not a race issue.

The worst memory for me was seeing the old often facially disfigured orthopeticaly dissabled men who only could get jobs as "Bell Hops." They would litterly jump to attention before you and load themselves up with multipal bag in outragioslly painfull positons and carry them to the room - not letting go when the elevator rised.

I suppose I saw it as a race issue and was really uncomfortable when it happed. I would say, "Please call me (my first name)" Some would - others would quietly say, "I know, just play along, it won't happen to your children when you grow up."

It still bothers me when people call me "Sir" and do the "formal hi service stuff." and try to ask people not to and will avoid places where "Hi Service." Is the norm. It's creepy. Flight Attendents will always observe my request.

We really forget how not that long ago overt classism was the rule. I know class diffences are very real and growing in America but at least now there is less an expection that the "lower economic" classes stay in thier place and bow down to those even of middle class means.

Glad to see "The good old days" gone.

Master Sassy!
Old Mar 24, 2007, 5:07 pm

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Not precisely your point, I know. But I think tipping perpetuates the class system by keeping the servant classes in their place - depending on the largess of their masters and denied a living wage.

Tippers might claim they have no choice, and that is mean not to help out with a few $$$. But really they are complicit in the system. Other countries seem to cope - tippers' propensity to tip when travelling to non-tipping cultures suggests that they rather like the feeling of status it gives them.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by jimbo99
Not precisely your point, I know. But I think tipping perpetuates the class system by keeping the servant classes in their place - depending on the largess of their masters and denied a living wage.

Tippers might claim they have no choice, and that is mean not to help out with a few $$$. But really they are complicit in the system. Other countries seem to cope - tippers' propensity to tip when travelling to non-tipping cultures suggests that they rather like the feeling of status it gives them.
Long time residents of Holland tell me that in Holland just about everyone has an employment contact and a liveable wage. Tipping if done at all is very small and you are very right they view Americans as rubbing their riches in their face by over tipping. I really don't think most short time visitors to Holand understand this and follow US tiping costom.

Yes, in a couple of the gay bars in the tourist parts of Amserdam I have had the occasion of the bar staff insist on a one Gilder tip for a 4 Gilder drink (bottled water). They don't anymore as I just use the Dutch for bottled water and they don't go after me for outragious tip.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 6:41 pm

Programs: Scorched earth and base metal in everything these days
If I'm traveling with my children, and the housekeeper has been especially attentive (i.e. arranging all the stuffed animals on the childrens' beds like they were having a party or a picnic), I'll generally leave a tip.

A quick rule of thumb with me and service personnel (housekeeping, waitstaff, doormen, bellhops) is that the nicer you are to my children, the more likely I am to appreciate it and show that appreciation in monetary form.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA EX PLT
if you really trash the room, you should leave some extra cash for their trouble.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 8:49 pm

I tip the maid $2 every day, especially if I stay more than one night.

Last edited by MissJoeyDFW; Mar 24, 2007 at 8:59 pm
Old Mar 24, 2007, 8:51 pm

$5 left daily with a note indicating it is for housekeeping

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.