Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beijing Hotels (family trip)

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2001, 1:39 am

Original Poster

Beijing Hotels (family trip)

Anybody have any experience with the following properties in Beijing and which I might find appealing (and reasonably priced) with the family of four? We're there for 3 nights, including two full busy days of sightseeing, shopping, etc.

St. Regis Beijing
Palace Hotel
New Otani

It looks like if I wait till I'm closer to the trip, all will have excellent rates.

Thanks,
David
Old May 11, 2001, 1:46 am

Original Poster

Hasn't anybody stayed at these hotels in Beijing?

Thanks,
David

Old May 11, 2001, 7:07 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'd go St Regi as it may well be ... good as any hotel in China!

Alternately the Palace is excellent as is the Kempinski!

Though I've not actually stayed, the China World hotel is HUGE in comparison, seems kind of plain & western like but is well located near TS!

Hope this helps!

Have a great trip!
Old May 11, 2001, 7:55 am

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
If you're going to do some shopping, you might want to stay at a hotel at or near Wangfujing Street. There's a Crowne Plaza on the street but I've personally not stayed there.

China World Hotel is a businessman's hotel and can get quite busy so service can sometimes get spotty. It is managed by the well-regarded Shangri-La Hotel group. Downside to this hotel is that there's really nothing to see within walking distance.

St. Regis is along the same street as China World. It used to be a Chinese hotel but converted to a St. Regis a few years back. Haven't stayed there yet so can't vouch for it.

I believe the Palace Hotel is managed by Peninsula. Good location. Mixed crowd (business and leisure).
Old May 11, 2001, 12:17 pm
EMD
Original Member

In one of the Holiday Inn or Crown Plazas - I can't remember which - there is a Thai restaurant - with traditional in-the-floor seating - the decor, the staff, the service, the food - - - an excellent experience - you will love Beijing!!! Also, do not miss the Hutong Tour - into a "traditional" Beijing neighborhood by bicycle rickshaw.
Have a wonderful time!!!!!
Old May 11, 2001, 2:03 pm

I stayed at the Palace Hotel last year and wasn't very impressed with it. My first room was a Junior suite and extremely small, I upgraded myself to a regular suite which was a duplex suite and quite nice but had a very strange odor and the windows didn't open. The hotel restaurants,however, were quite good.

I think I would suggest the St. Regis or the Swisshotel, although they are both further from the cities attractions so you may spend more time in the dreaded Bejing Traffic.

See if your hotel concierge can get you a reservation at the China Club (you have to have a member make the reservation)it has great food and is a nice experience.
Old May 11, 2001, 3:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

None of the Beijing hotels are that special, so I'd probably be somewhat value conscious, if I were you. I agree with leisuremiles about the Regis and the Swissotel -- the latter arguably has the best Sunday brunch in town. The China World also scores highly in the brunch department. I don't think the prime location places by Tiananmen are worth the extra cash because they are overrated in terms of service and you don't gain much by being down there. The Sheraton's also overrated; I'd go for the Kempinski if that side of town floats your boat. The Shangri-La used to be very nice, and is relatively inexpensive, but is very far from the action and has deteriorated a lot in the past five or six years.

Again, all other things being equal, go with the best deal you can find.

I almost forgot to mention two others at the low end of the high end that score quite well in my book, the City Hotel (great location) and the Jingguang. Both of these can be had for around $60 US per night if you (or your company) know the right people.

[This message has been edited by moondog (edited 05-11-2001).]
Old May 11, 2001, 6:04 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
My two favorite hotels in Beijing are the St Regis and the Palace. I would probably rate the Palace slightly over the St. Regis.

I personally do not like the Kempinski, except for the beer, which is pretty much up to the Paulaner standard.

I wouldnt worry to much about distances in Beijing, even if you do have to ride in a taxi it will allow you to catch different views of a very interesting city. Enjoy!!
Old May 11, 2001, 6:05 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
BTW, Leisuremiles has an excellent point. The China Club is an absolute must to visit, actually they do have 2-3 guest rooms that provide lodging service.... great experience, if you can get a room there.
Old May 11, 2001, 6:46 pm

Original Poster

Thanks all! That's more like it Keep em coming.

doc: Interesting typo!

-David
Old May 11, 2001, 7:02 pm

Last year I stayed at the "Beijing Peace Hotel" which is just down the street from the Palace. It's not as big as the Palace but it's modern and attractive with large rooms and very attentive staff. It was very reasonable with a rate of $100US per night. I really enjoyed my stay there.
Old May 12, 2001, 12:16 am

Stay at the New World Courtyard Marriott. It is part of a large shopping center and office complex. The hotel elevators have direct access to the different shopping levels, including an arcade for the kiddies, and a food court. Across the street is a supermarket. The subway station is about 100 yards down the road. I believe Tien an men square is only 2-3 stations away.

You could feel comfortable splitting up with your spouse for a while, if one of you wanted to rest while the other shopped, etc. , since you'd all still be in the same building. I stayed there for a week and highly recommend it.

Donn
Travel agency manager
[email protected]
Old May 12, 2001, 6:10 pm
RAD

Location: Denver, CO USA UA_Premier Exec, Hilton Gold,Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally posted by LIH Prem:
Anybody have any experience with the following properties in Beijing and which I might find appealing (and reasonably priced) with the family of four? We're there for 3 nights, including two full busy days of sightseeing, shopping, etc.
Even though it wasn't on your list, my family of four stayed at the Great Wall Sheraton a couple of years ago. It's not a fancy place, but the room was large, the staff all spoke English, and it's right across the parking lot from the Beijing Hard Rock Cafe (if you need a taste of home, or like me, celebrate this kind of capitalism on the mainland).

The doorman set us up with a driver for a VERY reasonable fee -- he took us to the Great Wall, waited for us to finish and drove us back. I highly recommend going to the farthest of the two access point (sorry, can't remember the name right now). Not nearly as crowded and better views.

The previous point about taking a taxi is a good one. You'll get to see much more than if you stay near your desired points of interest.

Be warned about something I found strange: My girls (under 5 at the time) were powerful objects of curiosity for many Chinese -- Something about their blonde hair, I guess. Group after group after group of Chinese asked very politely to get a picture with the girls. At one point in Tianamen Square, we had so many Chinese surrounding my family that when my wife saw two PRC soldiers com,ing toward us, she insisted we make a quick exit to the Forbidden City "to avoid a riot." It was no different on the Great Wall.

You will love Beijing, despite the heat and pollution. Enjoy!

RAD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.