Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel in Stockholm

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2001, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Hotel in Stockholm

I am shipping my parents off on UA in F to hook up with a Renaissance cruise in Europe in a few weeks. The trip will wind up in Stockholm on May 27, which means my parents will need to stay overnight in order to embark upon their 7:50AM return trip the next day. Can anyone suggest a very nice hotel in Stockholm that a couple of folks well into their 70s might enjoy? They have traveled quite extensively over the years but have never been to Stockholm, however I suspect that they are not quite as mobile as they used to be. A comfortable place at a somewhat "reasonable" price would be nice.
Old Apr 14, 2001, 10:46 am

I stayed at a Best Western near the Stockholm airport for US$59.00 a night (weekend rate). It is nearly new, has very nice rooms, staff, and breakfast and has a free shuttle bus to the airport (about 10 minutes away). All in all, I thought it was one of the best hotel values for the money I have ever experienced. However, if your folks are looking for a central location to do some sightseeing, this would not be the choice because it's in a suburban location. I can't recall the exact name of the city it's in, but I think it begins with a "U" and should be on the Best Western web site under "Stockholm area".
Old Apr 14, 2001, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Thanks, dogcanyon, that sounds perfect. I checked out the Best Western web site and the property is called the Nova Park Hotel Arn, located in Uppsala, and AARP rates are currently $70 for two people ($60 for one). My parents could always grab a cab into Stockholm if they want to see some sites or rest a bit in preparation for what UA might throw at them the next day.
Old Apr 14, 2001, 3:40 pm

Location: London. BA Silver, VA Silver, HH Gold, Marriott Silver.
I've stayed in the Best Western, and agree with Dogcanyon that it's pretty good.

However there is a Radisson SkyCity integrated with the Arlanda airport terminal, I seem to remember, that offers very good weekend rates. My parents stay at Radisson's if possible as guests on AARP rates are often upgraded. May be worth checking out.
Old Apr 14, 2001, 7:37 pm

There are two Radissons at ARN. The one where we stayed last summer is right inside the airport, and I thought it was a very good value ($89 weekend rate). The room was quiet, well-appointed, and comfortable, the breakfast was abundant and good, and the location couldn't be beat (we had a 7:30 am flight).
Old Apr 14, 2001, 8:22 pm

I've stayed at the other Radisson at ARN. There's a free shuttle bus, about a 5 minute ride. It was fine for overnight, buffet breakfast included. I think this one that's not part of the terminal is a bit less.

Sylvia
Old Apr 15, 2001, 3:25 am

The Radisson SAS located just outside of ARN is called Radisson SAS Arlandia Hotel. I have stayed there myself once. Arlanda are normally cheaper then SkyCity who is located inside the airport.

Old Apr 15, 2001, 7:58 am
Suspended

Programs: British Airways Gold (oneWorld Emerald), Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum
The Radisson SkyCity has a fine (so I'm told) health club. It's perfect if your plane is delayed for a couple of hours - they have both a fitness section as well as spa and massage. Not expensive.

------------------
Goldlust
Old Apr 15, 2001, 11:35 am
Suspended

The airport in Stockholm is a far distance from the city as is Upsala.
If your parents want a comfortable hotel
in the city -- close to the Palace and the ship dock try First Hotels --www.firsthotels.com. There is a lovely hotel dowtown that your parent would love.
Something close to center city --- is the Scandic Park Hotel (part of Scandic Hotels)
---to get to the airport from downtown is now very simple.
From the Central Station (RR) there is the year old Arlanda Express train -- downtown to airport in appx 20 minutes. (Bus takes about 1 hour).
Something to suggest to your parents is the
excellent Smorgasboard dinner at the very famous "Grand Hotel". Actually the price is very reasonable and the Grand is a place they would truly enjoy.
Old Apr 15, 2001, 11:42 am

Originally posted by jefro:
The airport in Stockholm is a far distance from the city as is Upsala.
If your parents want a comfortable hotel
in the city -- close to the Palace and the ship dock try First Hotels --www.firsthotels.com. There is a lovely hotel dowtown that your parent would love.
Something close to center city --- is the Scandic Park Hotel (part of Scandic Hotels)
---to get to the airport from downtown is now very simple.
From the Central Station (RR) there is the year old Arlanda Express train -- downtown to airport in appx 20 minutes. (Bus takes about 1 hour).
Something to suggest to your parents is the
excellent Smorgasboard dinner at the very famous "Grand Hotel". Actually the price is very reasonable and the Grand is a place they would truly enjoy.
www.arlandaexpress.com
Old Apr 15, 2001, 6:07 pm
Original Member

I've stayed at the Hotel Terminus, which is a Best Western. It was recommended to me by my parents, who stayed there when they went.

It is located across the street from the train station (which is fine in Stockholm, compared to most cities) and is walking distance to old town, the Royal Palace, and other attractions.
Old Apr 15, 2001, 8:05 pm

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG
Please, I beg you, do not put your parents at a hotel in Uppsala or at Arlanda.

There might be nothing wrong with the hotels but Stockholm is a wonderful city and at the end of May, it becomes almost magical.

If you put your parents near Central Station, they have just a 20 minute Arlanda Express train ride to Arlanda airport (Cost USD 14/ person). There are also some check-in factilities (but not much) at the express train station. A taxi from Stockholm city to Arlanda costs around USD 45 and takes about 30 minutes. A taxi from a city hotel to the Arlanda Express might cost USD 10 and then there is USD 28 for the train tickets.

There is a brand new hotel (the 543 room Nordic Light) just beside the central station and Arlanda Express. (Sadly I can't remember if it will be open in time).

But in or near Gamla Stan (the old town) is the place to stay if you are just in Stockholm for one night. There is a good chance that your parent's ship will dock at Skeppsbron or Stadsgårdskajen which is in or beside Gamla Stan also. If so, the hotels would be very near by.

See: http://www.stockholm-hotels.demon.co.uk/hotelindex.html and I would recommend the Slussen hotel (make sure to order a water view) or perhaps Rica City.

Take a look a the official visitor's guide: http://www.stockholmtown.com/pages/271/index.asp

Other hotels in Gamla Stan are Hotel Reisen which is right at Skeppsbron http://www.ehi.com/travel/ehi/sweden...tel-reisen.htm
Lady Hamilton (on a slight hill but pedestrian street) http://www.lady-hamilton.se/eng/lady/lady_index.html
and Lord Nelson (on a flat pedestian street) http://www.lady-hamilton.se/eng/lord/lord_index.html

Also, just beside Gamla Stan and near to the Arlanda Express is the Stockholm Sheraton which can be nice if you get a water view.

Incidently, UA does not fly to Stockholm. I suspect your parents are on a UA code share operated by SK or LH. Check-in in that case will be done by SAS at terminal 5.

[This message has been edited by Austman (edited 04-16-2001).]
Old Apr 15, 2001, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I've stayed at the Radisson SkyCity Arlanda several times. It is incredibly convenient for a morning flight. With a 7:45am flight, if I was coming to Stockholm by train, I'd stay there and pop for the RT Arlanda Express the night before to explore Stockholm.

But, coming in by cruise ship, I wouldn't do that. Instead, I'd look for one of the nicer hotels near the cruise port (if I was going to splurge for a taxi to Arlanda - might be worth it for your parents if they have mobility problems) or near the Central Station (if they are going to lug their stuff to the station in the morning and take the Arlanda Express).

[BTW, a day pass for the Radisson SkyCity health club is roughly $10, which is worth it if you're coming in on a red-eye. It's free as part of the Arrivals "lounge" for AA F/J passengers, and probably DL/SK as well.]
Old Apr 15, 2001, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
I've stayed at the Lady Hamilton in the old town. The rooms are small, but the location can't be beat (all sorts of things are within walking distance), and the breakfast is very good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.