Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Would you pay for a decent inflight meal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you pay for a decent inflight meal?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2001, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally posted by Leisuremiles:
Anyone else remember on the old PEOPLExpress flights that the FAs sold baskets with pretty good sandwiches, chips and a dessert, I think at that time (about 10 years ago)they were about $5. I thought they were better than most airlines provided.

Actually the original 3 Dollar "Snack-Pac" contained a small Bon Bel cheese, a surgically sealed piece of of sausage, a small party rye bread with mustard,a napkin and a plastic knife. For an additional 50 cents you could get a brownie with enough sugar content to keep a pack of cub scouts going for a week. Throw in a coke for another 50 cents and for 4 bucks it beat alot of meals I had in college.
Old Mar 15, 2001, 3:53 am

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
With business fares as high as they are now, I see no reason to pay even more for a decent meal onboard.

Will domestic airlines ever again have to compete based on service rather than price?
Old Mar 15, 2001, 5:20 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally posted by daniellam:
If you could pay a $7-10 surcharge to the airline for a better airline meal, would you do it?
Generally, yes.

I like to travel at meal times, and eating is one thing that's easy to do to take up time in a plane.

KiraNarise, I'm glad to hear about All Nippon. I'm trying them out for the first time soon. My experiences with their people on the ground have been excellent so far, on a par with Singapore Airlines, so it'll be interesting to see how they are in the air.

Old Mar 15, 2001, 8:51 am

Location: AA Plat, US Gold, HHonors Gold, Starwood Gold, LP Mile-ionaire
Hmm, interesting idea, daniellam. Having the option to request a pricier meal would take care of those who wouldn't be happy with increased prices. That would be a great solution, and could be treated in the same way as special meal requests are now.

On another note, I flew JAL to Japan last year and absolutely loved the food. I was in coach, but that didn't stop them from giving us plenty of healthy, tasty food. I especially liked the seaweed-wrapped rice snacks. I'd love some Japanese food on the menu in place of the "Italian" chicken I see all too often.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.