Wiki Posts
Search

Inexpensive Hotels in NYC?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2001, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Inexpensive Hotels in NYC?

I have a co-worker who is coming to NYC on holiday in May and is looking for an inexpensive hotel to stay in for about a week or two. While I am from NYC, I've never stayed in a hotel here so I don't have a clue what to tell her.

She wants to spend as little as possible (isn't that always the case ) but have a clean safe single room in Manhattan. I would guess that $100/night would be her budget.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

------------------
I wish I were 1,000 miles away
Old Mar 14, 2001, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Try the Edison Hotel on 47th Street. All the government employees stay there. It must be cheap!

Bruce
Old Mar 14, 2001, 4:46 pm

People are getting 3 and 4 Star hotels in NYC for under $100/night when using Priceline. Take a look here:
http://pub4.ezboard.com/fpricelinean...itynonewjersey
Old Mar 14, 2001, 5:05 pm

Programs: Lifetime: UA Gold, AA Gold, & Marriott Titanium
http://www.chelseasavoy.citysearch.com/
Old Mar 14, 2001, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM
I agree that both the Edison and the Chelsea Savoy are excellent choices for the price range you indicated, Redhead.

The Edison is older and a little cramped, but it's clean and the staff are very friendly. A friend of mine always managed to get us a rate of around $80/night before I moved here. Don't quite know what the basis for that rate was.

The Savoy is fine, but can get noisy if your suite overlooks 23rd Street or 7th Avenue. Try for one on the inside. The SM club next door finally closed and a more civil cafe has opened in its place.

Good luck!
Old Mar 14, 2001, 7:15 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
If they are sure about their travel, they should definitely do the Priceline bid.

The NY Hilton Millennium in Times Squares is a great hotel. Just make sure they follow the bidding steps carefully... so you don't end up with a room in the financial district!

William
Old Mar 14, 2001, 9:39 pm

The Millennium/Times Sq. is NOT a Hilton. I stayed there for a week in January during the snowstorm.

It is a very nice hotel...
Old Mar 14, 2001, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Just to confuse all cabbies, not to mention out of town tourists trying to book in advance, there is a Millennium Hotel (which Sheryl calls Millennium Broadway) and a Millennium Hilton, (which Sheryl calls Millennium Hilton Downtown, but which Hilton calls (I swear!) "Millenium Hilton Next to the World Trade Center") and both are in Manhattan hence the confusion. Different animals tho. Unless there is a third one that slipped by us all somehow.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum95/HTML/000943.html

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old Mar 15, 2001, 1:23 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
No cabbie will be confused if you state your destination clearly.

Just say "the Millennium Broadway" or "the Millennium Hilton" and any driver will know the difference. (There is no propery called the "Millennium Hotel" in the city.) If you feel you have to qualify the property say "midtown" for the former or "downtown" for the latter. It's really not an issue for most drivers.

[This message has been edited by essxjay (edited 03-15-2001).]
Old Mar 15, 2001, 2:05 am
Original Member

If it was only the weekend, the EWR airport hotels have good deals as does the Meadowlands. Meadowlands might still have some decent weekly rates - nice business-style hotels. A city bus has regular schedules to the city.

I know Days Inn isn't the greatest, but the property in Fort Lee was nearly Hampton Inn's quality. I stayed their about 7 or 8 years ago. The property is less than 2 miles from upper Manhattan. It is the first exit after leaving NYC. Rate back then was around $60/night, which should apply to weekdays.

Old Mar 15, 2001, 3:41 am

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
I got the Hilton Millenium for $ 67.00 per nite for 3/23-24.

See CATMANS's DO under COMMUNITY for info
and review Sheryl's website for details about placing a priceline bid.
Old Mar 15, 2001, 6:35 am
geo1004

I would try priceline first. You will probably end up with a big hotel chain (Marriott, Hilton, Radisson, Holiday Inn, etc.) but the price may be right.

However, I really like:
www.nychotels.com

I have stayed at some of these properties before. They are small, clean, unique, and well located throughout the city. Forget what they say about $225 a night, I always get the $108 weekend rate. Just say you saw the "ad in the Washington Post" for the $108 rate.

[This message has been edited by geo1004 (edited 03-15-2001).]

Old Mar 15, 2001, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Wow! Thanks for all the help. I am having her look at all the suggestions you've given and will be pushing the Priceline idea. Does Priceline work if you are bidding from Europe?

Thanks again. This is wjhy FlyerTalk is great!

------------------
I wish I were 1,000 miles away

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.