Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Would you pay for a decent inflight meal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2001, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)

Because of customers demanding low airfares, airlines (especially those in North America) have to cut back on inflight service.

Airline food (especially in economy class)is becomine more terrible. (ie. Only snack mix served during "dinner time" on a domestic flight)

If you could pay a $7-10 surcharge to the airline for a better airline meal, would you do it?

Old Mar 14, 2001, 12:08 am

Midway gives you decent meals without charging you more.

Southwest has expiremented (on their trans con flights) giving passengers vouchers to buy meals from food vendors in the terminal.
Old Mar 14, 2001, 1:17 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
well- not to the airline. but I do pay for decent airline meal here's how-if I'm lucky I stop at my local Japanese restaurant and pick up a sushi dinner to go,drink the miso soup on the way to the airport and enjoy the rest at my leisure. I also have been known to stop at Kentucky fried chicken, or...... you get the idea. The only downside to this is the nasty stares I get from other passengers -- but this is counterbalanced by the smiles of gratitude I get from those with whom I share
Old Mar 14, 2001, 3:10 am
Original Member

I think a good idea would be to start airport shops where you can buy a decent variety of carry on board lunch/dinner boxes.

The pax could choose from better variety on the ground and pay exactly what he is willing to.
Old Mar 14, 2001, 8:01 am

Programs: UA/1K, DL/PM, AA/PLT, NW/SLV; SW/PLT, HH/DIA
FoxPro --

A lot of airports now have exactly that -- restaurants that will sell you a good, portable meal.

If you can't make it up into F, they're usually a great idea.
Old Mar 14, 2001, 8:17 am

I have noticed that many of these "food shops" are located near the Southwest gates.
Old Mar 14, 2001, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I never rely on an airline coach meal. I always bring something with me or buy something at the airport if I think I will need it. I also always bring on a bottle of water as I drink far more than a coach service will provide, and some sort of snack for takeoff because it helps me with the pressurization changes.

For transatlantic coach flights, I stock up with a bag full of food - usually non-crushable things like nice sandwiches, cheeses, good cookies and candies, etc. When I'm fortunate enough to upgrade to business, I skip the sandwiches but still bring the rest of the stuff.
Old Mar 14, 2001, 10:21 am

Location: AA Plat, US Gold, HHonors Gold, Starwood Gold, LP Mile-ionaire
Yes, I'd definitely pay an extra $7-10 for a real meal. I'd have to feel confident that I'd actually get my money's worth, though. I wouldn't be happy if the airline used the money for a big ad campaign and one extra olive in my lunch salad. In some ways it's more reliable to bring your own, even if airport restaurants are overpriced.

I did see a news special on airlines last night comparing the food service on Delta and Midwest Express. Midwest spends $10 per passenger and the result looked fabulous - free wine and beer and meals that looked like AA first class. On that praticular route, though, ticket prices between the two airlines were identical.
Old Mar 14, 2001, 10:52 am

Anyone else remember on the old PEOPLExpress flights that the FAs sold baskets with pretty good sandwiches, chips and a dessert, I think at that time (about 10 years ago)they were about $5. I thought they were better than most airlines provided.

Last night on Nightline "The Plane Truth" they said the average airline spends $5 on a meal and Midway Ex spends $10 on a meal AND throws in free wine.
Old Mar 14, 2001, 11:13 am

I've recently posted this to UA forum:

After intestine problems in the last two long hauls, I've decided never again eat coach snacks in UA. Enough of:

- plastic cup noodles;
- plastic cheddar cheese;
- plastic (or GM?) apples;
- plastic pretzles;
- plastic salad dressings;
- whatever plastic they serve;
- egg breakfast.

Thus, I made a drastic decision. From now on, no matter flying coach or business, I'm taking with me:

- real walnuts, macadamias, peanuts;
- bottles of San Pellegrino;
- small bottle of olive oil;
- pieces of real cheese, like Brie, Dan Blue, Ementhal;
- quality bread (not a long baguette, of course);
- organic fruits;

From UA, I'll take only the salad and the wine. I know this will reduce my chances of getting gift bottles from FAs to zero, but I had mines already.

Btw, I'm taking this in enough quantity for more people, in case I meet any FTers in the plane
Edited for html.

[This message has been edited by Toxa (edited 03-14-2001).]
Old Mar 14, 2001, 11:49 am

Hmm, I guess I would pay the extra money as I never have time to stop for anything on the way to the airport. I did end up paying $14 for a Snapple, Fritos, & a slice of (ugh) pizza at the San Juan airport last month. Good thing I did because the AA non stop 3 hour flight during "dinner" served peanuts.

The ab fab best meals I've ever had on an airplane were in coach. RJ JFK-AMS & All Nippon IAD-NRT-BKK. One thing about ANA is that the first leg was only 12 hours, but I swear they fed us 5 or 6 times. I really started wondering what was going on in FC if I was having such a ball in coach. Plus, the seats were wider with more leg room. When I put my elbow on the arm rest I wasn't poking a stranger in the chest. But, I digress. On RJ, I was truly amazed that my steak actually looked & tasted like a steak. And the fares for both were nominal. The ANA ticket was a $640 6 month ticket during the summer and the RJ was $186 also in summer.

Perhaps that was because these were foreign carriers.

Old Mar 14, 2001, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally posted by golden girl:
Yes, I'd definitely pay an extra $7-10 for a real meal. I'd have to feel confident that I'd actually get my money's worth, though. I wouldn't be happy if the airline used the money for a big ad campaign and one extra olive in my lunch salad. In some ways it's more reliable to bring your own, even if airport restaurants are overpriced.
What if you would have the chance to actually "request" the meal (ie. full dinner, lunch, breakfast etc.) when making the reservation?

And then an extra $7-10 be charged to your ticket at that time?
Old Mar 14, 2001, 4:49 pm

Once could argue a good meal on a plane is a oxymoron. Face it, The food is precooked and then flash frozen, and then loaded onto the plane where it is reheated to an eating temperature. Even the best chefs see their creations butchered in the hostile aircraft environment.
Old Mar 14, 2001, 5:13 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
I don't buy food and take it on the plane (I have no interest in adding another carry-on). If I had the choice of paying for food in flight or going hungry, I'll go hungry. I would rather eat before or after the flight at my choice of eating establishments (usually after the flight).
Old Mar 14, 2001, 6:09 pm

I would definitely pay good money to have a good in-flight meal in Coach, complete with proper cutlery and china (please take away the plastic plates, knives and forks). Fine cuisine and an overall good dining experience are both hugely uplifting (no pun intended).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.