Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris Hotel advice?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2001, 9:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally posted by puppypaws:
Oops? Thats strange, further down in my mailbox was a message from "ludwine" in reservations that said "we would be really pleased to welcome yu for the period requested." Hmmmmm. I emailed him back my visa information, etc. I hope this means we really do have a reservation.
I hope so too. By the way, Lidwine is a charming young lady who works at Reception along with Frédérique and Gerard. They are all delightful and will make you feel right at home. Best of luck in securing the reservation!

Bill
Old Mar 12, 2001, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
just a note about charging things overseas - there is a difference of 0-3% over the exchange rate - ths can really add up if money matters.

eg my debit visa card from fidelty - at least for me doesn't charge any transaction fee nor add anything to the exchange rate

other visa adds 1 or 2 %, amex adds 3%

If you are takng the RER from CDG the shuttle bus is free and you can charge your ticket at the station (only about $10) I have done this a few times when I didn't have any francs, ATMs didn't exist and I wanted to exchange cash or tt.
(The reason I didn't change at the airport is that I had discovered the exchange rate could vary by as much a 10% depending on where I did it and I wanted to look around before exchanging a lot.)

Old Mar 12, 2001, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott, Hilton, Hertz
Originally posted by puppypaws:
Im hearbroken that Hotel Relais Bosquet is booked. I'll have to look for a second, or third choice....as you have mentioned, I have indadvertently chosen a popular week.
Puppypaws, if Hotel Relais bosquet isn't available then try Hotel de Que Voltaire.
I just stayed this past weekend. The location was great (across Seine river from Louvre, block away from Musee d'Orsay and RER stop, etc). It was bit noisy but view was worth it.

Also, take sometime to walk around Paris. It's the best way to see Paris.

Eifel tower lights up every hour during the evening. It's great during the evening. I will write my trip to Paris this past weekend in the trip section.
Old Mar 13, 2001, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many of the suggestions above are quite good and as you have found quite popular. A very reasonable option in terms of price/quality/location would be Hotel Angleterre Etoile on Rue Copernic. 1 block from the Place Victor Hugo and its metro stop, three blocks from the Arc d'Triumph, and less than a 2 mile walk to the Louvre. For less than $75 a night in the spring this place is a killer deal. This is a real hotel with full in room baths and modern decore, something like a small room at a decent Hilton. Mais, if your budget is healthier there are better places. If you are looking for a more quite place, avoid the suggested hotels in St. Germain du Pres.

------------------
Oh maaan. Anything but a 737.

[This message has been edited by anrkitec (edited 03-13-2001).]
Old Mar 13, 2001, 2:49 am

I re-read your original posting, and I see that you are there from Easter Saturday. As you may have discovered, this is probably Paris's busiest period for incoming tourists. I do hope that you have luck with bbinchi's recommendation. I know that he will probably chide me for re-iterating this, but I assure you that I would be as trusting as to say that if he recommends it, you can be sure that it is good. His knowledge about Paris is first rate.

I would just remind you that Monday 16th will be a public holiday and practically all shops will be shut. If you are thinking of day trips, that is not the day to do it as the trains will be packed that evening. I am sure that bbinchi will tell you about the airport transfer from CDG that he did, which was excellent value for money. I would have t hunt for it, and he will just have it at his finger tips.

Good Luck

Paul
Old Mar 15, 2001, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Hooray! I spoke with Ludwine this morning and she confirmed our reservation at the Hotel Relais Bosquet! She is very charming. She let me struggle with my remedial French for a while. But when I asked, "parle vous anglais?" She spoke excellent English. Thank you Flyertalk experts for all your advice. Im going to try to print this entire thread and take it to Paris with me. Cant wait! -Jackie
Old Mar 15, 2001, 7:04 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold
puppypaws:

I am so glad to learn that you are now confirmed at Hôtel Relais Bosquet! I trust you will have a very pleasant journey to Paris and a wonderful time staying in "my neighborhood."

If you have a chance, please send me an email to the address in my profile and I will reply with a "letter of introduction" for you to take to the hotel (although I am confident they will take very good care of you in any event).

Will you also please consider writing a Trip Report after you return from Paris?

Bon voyage!

Bill

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.