Wiki Posts
Search

Passport Lost by National Passport Center

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2001, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPEBSQSA
Passport Lost by National Passport Center

OK, this is a rant, but also a request for any assistance.

I needed to renew my US passport. Since there is no passport center with ~200 miles, I used the mail. Placed the application, pictures, and check INSIDE the passport, and mailed them all to the National Passport Center.

I received a letter in the mail requesting that I "submit the previous passport", which means that 1) the letter is in error, or 2) the person at the other end removed the paperwork from the passport, and subsequently LOST the passport.

There is no real was to contact the passport center itself, just a 900 number that gets you to a farmed out phone bank that is only looking at a computer screen.

Am I ticked, yes. Not only did they lose my passport, they cashed my check!

Anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this? I am sending a letter out in their self-addressed envelope, but don't feel I can do anything else.

------------------
Bob

There's no place like home...
there's no place like home...
there's no place like home.
www.wmonline.com
www.sunriseair.net

Old Mar 1, 2001, 9:49 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Start with the 900 number. It sucks, but it's like singing the national anthem before a ball game--you have to go through the motions.

When/if that doesn't work, contact your congressman.
Old Mar 1, 2001, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I Fed Ex'd mine so I'd have a signature for whoever accepted it.
Old Mar 1, 2001, 3:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I had trouble with those guys eariler this year -- applied for a 48 page passport and got a 24. As much as I hated paying $5 to talk to them about their mistake, I have to admit that they were reasonably helpful (much moreso than I had expected).
Old Mar 1, 2001, 5:13 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
That's why you paid $5.00.
They misspelled my name before. The person on the phone was also very helpful and knew what to do. The only problem I had was that I had to pay $5.00 for THEIR mistake.

- Pat
Old Mar 1, 2001, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
AZ_MISMAN, their losing your passport is a serious matter. The least impactive effect is on your renewal. However, lets say that you were going for residency in one or more foreign countries. Its more likely than not that you would need to submit your passport, expired or current, that was contemporaneous with certain entries/exits/visas/etc. as part of the application process. Not having the original can really gum up the works. Though I assume those circumstances aren't applicable to your situation, on principle I would really turn up the heat (I seem to be quite cliche prone tonight) on the pp agency.
Old Mar 14, 2001, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPEBSQSA
Just an update. I broke down and called the 900 number. I must agree with the respondents that it was worth whatever it is going to cost as they were very helpful and responsive.

After exchanging a few phone calls (not 900 numbers) and faxing them copies of my birth certificate and driver's license, I received a call on 3/6 that my passport was being issued. I now have it in my possesion!

What have I learned? I've made a copy of my passport that I will keep with other vital records so that, when another gets lost, I'll have all of the information I need.

Thanks for all of the replies.

------------------
Bob

There's no place like home...
there's no place like home...
there's no place like home.
www.wmonline.com
www.sunriseair.net

Old Mar 14, 2001, 11:25 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, BA Gold
Several years ago I needed to contact the passport agency and I, too, found the people at the 900# to be surprisingly helpful (if you've ever been to a passport agency in person, you know why I was surprised...)

I still maintain, though, that it's absolutely shocking to have to pay $5 to contact a US government agency to speak about an issue with a passport that you're already paying a fee for. Good grief, if the fee isn't high enough, isn't that what we pay taxes for?! Imagine if you had to pay $5 to call your airline to discuss a ticket that you'd already paid for?
Old Mar 14, 2001, 2:41 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Originally posted by jAAck:
Imagine if you had to pay $5 to call your airline to discuss a ticket that you'd already paid for?
Great business idea! Let me call the airline CEOs and discuss possible implementation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.