Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Paris and France for 8 days - alternate suggestions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2001, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 5 Mil, UA Global Services, BA Gold, DL Diamond, SPG Plat75, Hilton Diamond

We have a trip planned from SJC to CDG non-stop on AA Biz section the second week of April for 8 days. (We arrive Mon and return the following Tue). We have an infant and a six year old travelling with us.

One minor disagreement we have - the Mrs. wants to spend all the time in Paris with a few days in rural France. I say 4 days in Paris, 1 or 2 days in rural France on the way to another country and 2 days in another country.

What are the recommendations. I was thinking of Florence as the second city. A 2 day getaway for now (as a sampler - we will return some other time for more in-depth exploration of the region).

I have flown through Europe mostly on business and never leisurely with family.

Any suggestions and advice will be gladly listened to.

Thanks!

PS: I have perused through a lot of posts on Paris, weekend getaway to Europe, etc. and have learnt a lot here.
Old Feb 25, 2001, 7:54 pm
Community Director Emerita

I personally think you are too ambitious to combine Paris, France, and Florence in one trip. Paris and Florence are a considerable distance apart. You'll burn a very long day to get to Florence and a very long day to return, unless you plan to fly. Combining those two destinations means too much travel for me as an adult, let alone adults with small children.

France is a marvelous country, with a wealth of things to see and do. Just outside Paris are Giverny (where Monet painted) and Chartres (famous cathedral). You could combine Paris and the Loire Valley, or Paris and Brittany. I also love the Provence and Riviera areas of France, but why spend so much windshield time when there are glorious places to go and see closer to Paris?

If you really really must enter another country, go to Bruge, Belgium - "Venice of the north". It's a charming small town, eminently walkable, with good museums and enjoyable sights.

And have a wonderful trip. I envy you the great food you'll enjoy!
Old Feb 26, 2001, 12:03 am

Belgium would be a good option, not very far from Paris, use Brussels as a base city and from there you can go to Brugges either by train or driving.
Old Feb 26, 2001, 1:03 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Having traveled extensively on Europe with my three children and a very low budget (well it was a few years ago) I don't think you can underestimate the difference traveling with children makes (both good and bad). If you plan to travel and have a choice of car or train I would highly recommend the train because your 6 yo will be able to walk around and see a lot of interesting stuff (not to mention learning that not everyone speaks English).
A lot of what you do may be dictated by the weather!
Unless you really can't come back I think making Paris your base and taking one or two day trips could make your life a lot more pleasant (there are lots of fun things for both adults and children to see - sometimes even in the same place ).
Have a WONDERFUL time.
Old Feb 26, 2001, 4:11 am

Programs: AA concierge key; marriott premier platinum; United GS; hilton diamond
Traveling with a small infant will be difficult. I am currently on an ex pat assignment here is Paris and have an infant and when we travel back and forth it usually takes him a couple of days to adjust to the time change. That being said I would suggest staying in Paris and taking a couple of day trips to regions that are an hour or so from the city. For kids there is Disneyland Paris and the Cite Des Enfants that they would enjoy (at least the six year old) Within an hour or two driving from Paris is the Champagne region, the lower parts of Normandy, Chablis and the Loire Valley all of which are wonderful and all very different from each other.

I agree that Florence is too far away and would take you the better part of a day to train there. My suggestion to people when they come to Paris for the first time is to not underestimate all there is to do here.

Eiffel Tower, Louvre, Musee d'Orsay, Luxembourg Gardens, Bois de Vincennes, Bois de Boulogne etc

Good luck and if you want some options for small kids here in Paris let me know
Old Feb 26, 2001, 7:05 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I would definately agree with the idea of a train trip (or trips), Reims in the Champagnge region or Rouen in Normany are only 1 1/2 by train. Or you could take the TGV to the south. When were you planning to go? While I agree that Brugge is lovely, at this time of the year, it may be a bit cold to take one of the canal boat trips!
Old Feb 26, 2001, 7:10 am

enjoytravel, are you going to be in Europe for the Easter weekend? If you have not booked accommodation, you might want to think about that as Paris will get very very busy as will lots of Europe.I agree with everyone who says stay there. You might day trip out, but that is not a good time to go to a second point when Paris abounds with things to see and do. Versailles (if the weather is nice) is a perfect day trip, and the grounds are exquisite if the Chateau would be a bit tough for the little ones.
Old Feb 26, 2001, 11:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
You could EASILY spend all the time in Paris. But, I agree with others that Chartes is a must see. Giverny is another, as well as Rouen. There is a fabulous ruined abbey, called Jumiege which is near Rouen. If you go that direction, you might as well go to Normandy where there is much to see, including Honfleur, the D-day Beaches, the Bayuex Tapestry and Mont. St. Michel.

As others have suggested, the Riviera and Provence are only about 3 1/2 hours away by TGV.

If you go the other direction, there is the Loire Valley. Or you can do what I'm doing in April, head northwest toward Reims and then Strasbourg. If you want to add another country, you are right across the river from Germany's Black Forest. You can easily go to Heidelburg, Freiburg and other nearaby interesting places. I agree with the others that Florence is too far.

You CANNOT go wrong spending all your time in France - no matter which dirction tyou go.
Old Feb 26, 2001, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
My wife and I are planning trip for a week to Paris in late April and early May. I have a bunch of links that may be of use to you. Send me email if you want them.
Old Feb 28, 2001, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 5 Mil, UA Global Services, BA Gold, DL Diamond, SPG Plat75, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for all the tips. I think the verdict is in. We will stick to Paris during the entire stay and maybe make one or two day trips (probably by train). I guess Florence will have to wait for another time.

THanks for the warning about Easter, I am not sure if it is around then, but will check and make plans ahead.

BillMorrow, I will drop you an email note. Thanks for the offer of the links.

Once again FT is such a great place to get all this wonderful advice.
Old Feb 28, 2001, 8:03 am

Just so you are aware, the day after Easter is also a national holday in France.
Certain places do close during the week (I believe The Louvre is closed on Tuesdays) so plan ahead so you won't miss something vital. I give you credit, you are quite adventurous for taking two young children to France. And, from California no less ! You are a trooper ! Have a great time !
Old Mar 11, 2001, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Once again, thx everyone for alerting us to the Easter weekend issues. Many of the hotels we looked into were sold out or had hiked the prices for the weekend. We are having the Amex Plat travel folks do some research for us.

ILuvParis, we have decided to take your advice and try a side trip to Loire Valley. I searched the boards here for Loire but did not find many posts. It may be a problem with the search engine. Looks as though we could take the TGV most of the way (1 hr) and that will be fun for our 6 yr old.

Thanks for all the advice. I will report back later.
Old Mar 11, 2001, 9:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Enjoystravel, try http://www.jack-travel.com
Click on France, then Loire Valley. It will give you a little history and info on visiting each of the major chateaus. DO NOT miss Chambord and Chenonceau (have your picture taken with the chateau straddling the river in the background. You will treasure it all your days).

[This message has been edited by ILuvParis (edited 03-11-2001).]
Old Mar 12, 2001, 12:10 pm

This all sounds wonderful. Can I come too?
Old Mar 12, 2001, 1:05 pm

As someone who also travels with my children you have made the right choice! My I suggest (as others have) going to Giverny by train. Make certain your hotel calls in advance and reserves the bikes for you (I hope they have an infant seat). You can then ride through the beautiful countryside to Monet’s. My children love that! We packed a picnic and stopped half way to let them run around and play. Also, Angelica’s (spelling?) for hot chocolate is a must for the six year old.

Enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.