Wiki Posts
Search

"Hidden city" question.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2001, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT
"Hidden city" question.

I have a question for anyone who cares to take a stab at it -- Next month I will be travelling on UA TUS-SJC with the following itenerary: TUS-LAX-SFO-SJC on the outbound and SJC-LAX-TUS on the return. The SFO-SJC leg is on a bus ("operated by South Bay Flyer"), and I'm wondering if I can just save myself 2 hours by getting off at SFO. I have a friend who lives between SJC and SFO and can pick me up at either airport. However, this can be construed as a "hidden city" itenerary, and I've heard of airlines cancelling return tickets for doing this. On the other hand, SJC and SFO are practically the same city. I'm interested to hear people's opinions on whether skipping the bus leg is "safe." Thanks!
Old Feb 10, 2001, 9:53 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
There are a number of threads on this on the UA board in the last few months. I think the consensus would seem to be "no problem," but your mileage may vary http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum50/HTML/000815.html http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum50/HTML/002894.html http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum50/HTML/003717.html
Old Feb 10, 2001, 10:29 pm

Any time a segment is not boarded, the remaining reservation may be cancelled or is subject to cancellation. It should make no difference whether it is by air or bus.

I would call the airline anonymously and ask if it is possible with no change of fare to skip that segment on that specific routing due to some creative or special circumstances. It also may change the reservation to an open jaw routing with a change in fare. Good luck!
Old Feb 11, 2001, 1:39 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
In principle I would agree with MRLIMO. However, in this particular case the bus driver does not have an airline computer and does not check you in the way an airline agent does for a flight. Note that you always get a "flight" coupon (i.e. paper ticket) on an itinerary with the bus, since that is the only way the driver knows you are eligible for the ride. Hence, UA has no way of knowing whether you did or did not take the bus and in this particular case, your downline segments will not be cancelled.

You can always call UA to "reconfirm" your return flights after your arrival in order to ease your mind.
Old Feb 11, 2001, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
You are confusing two different concepts. This is not a "hidden city" routine you are proposing. It is just not "flying" a segment for which you are ticketed, even though you intend to complete your journey as ticketed ex-SJC.

Unless the fare is actually less to SJC than to SFO from TUC, then the "hidden city" rules do not really come into play. This is applied only if the fare to a more distant point [SJC] turns out to actually be cheaper than the fare to the intermediate stop [SFO], and one books the onward flight only to take advantage of the cheaper fare, but then deplane [at SFO] and fail to travel on that flight segment [to SJC].

However, the airline may consider your getting off in SFO and not using the SF0-SJC portion, to be a breach of ticketing on your specfic routing. This has nothing to do with "hidden city" rules. It would, however, technically constitute a stop-over, which may or may not be permitted under your fare class. It is on this grounds that the airline could annul the validity of the rest of your ticket, and even charge you more money.

So you are best to check with the airline, because they can rightly cancel your onward/return space if there is no record of your having boarded the bus to SJC.
Old Feb 12, 2001, 9:26 pm

Where do you check in for the bus ride? At a gate or in the bus lane? This can make a big diffence.
Old Feb 13, 2001, 12:25 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally posted by Tango:
Where do you check in for the bus ride? At a gate or in the bus lane? This can make a big diffence.
When your board passes are printed for a leg that includes the bus, it automatically prints a notice on board pass/ticket stock that says this: "You are checked onto flight xxx to San Jose CA, Operated by South Bay Flyer, Departing at xxx x.m. Please follow these instructions: Upon arrival in San Francisco, please proceed to baggage claim. Claim your baggage. For domestic arrivals -- pickup is located on the lower level outside of the baggage claim through door number 4. Proceed to the outer island at the blue post. For international arrivals -- pickup is located on the lower level outside the international terminal baggage claim. Proceed to outer island at blue post."

Old Feb 13, 2001, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
If you do the trip in reverse and take the bus from SJC to SFO, you do not need to check in with UA inside the terminal. You just go to the shuttle stop outside terminal A or C, show your ticket, and board the bus. In fact, you cannot even check your bags through from SJC but must carry them onto the bus and check them in at SFO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.