Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sorry: Detailed question re: fares.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2001, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Sorry: Detailed question re: fares.

As always, I hope this is the right forum for this question. In order to shave some bucks, I usually try to plan ahead for travel if I can, flying on discounted tickets. Typical itinerary on CO: Depart PVD on a Tuesday, return from SFO on a Friday night. Typical fare: $400-450. However, I've noticed that starting the first week of March, these fares jump to over $1,200. This is the first time I've tried to plan this far ahead, so here's my question:

Is this fare jump a function of the flights being a little too far in the future? Or, is something happening to fares after February that will require a Sat. stay to avoid these monstrous fares?

Wow, do I hope it's the former. Any thoughts/info would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
There is choas under the heavens ... and the situation is excellent.
Old Feb 1, 2001, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA 1.050MM, PersonalCar 0.275MM
A strong possibility is that there is another airline with an airfare sale which competes with the PVD-SFO route, and that airfare sale only covers through February 28. Perhaps Southwest, which operates service out of both PVD and OAK/SJC. (Southwest SFO service ends March 4, I believe... one of the few airports they'll have ever pulled out of.)
Old Feb 2, 2001, 10:05 am

I believe losing the "southwest effect" in SFO is partly to blame.

Check out fares to OAK (where southwest is still flying) and see if it changes also?

------------------
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."
Old Feb 2, 2001, 10:12 am

Also, check if OAK and SFO are listed as co-terminals in the fare rules. You might be able to standby to SFO after purchasing a cheaper ticket to OAK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.