Wiki Posts
Search

Waikiki hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2001, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Waikiki hotels

I am sending one of my employees and her friend to Honolulu for five days next month. They want to stay in the Waikiki area the entire time. Can someone suggest a nice hotel either on the beach or close by that is no more than $200/night? (less is even better) They are in their mid-20s and are interested in nightlife and shopping as well. Thanks!
Old Jan 25, 2001, 10:01 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (thanks to SPG), AA Life Gold, UA Life Gold
Check out some of the threads on the W Hotel in Honolulu (Starwood board). If they are 20-somethings they would appreciate the trendiness and the more remote and romantic feel--but still very close to all of the action.
Old Jan 25, 2001, 12:11 pm

W hotel under $200.00/night? doubtful.

There are many hotels in the Waikiki area that are around or under $200.00/night. The hotels might not be on the beach, but definately a short walk. There is pleanty to do in Waikiki, and the room should be used as a "sleeping" room. Especially if they are in their mid 20's, being out and about doesn't require a deluxe hotel.
Old Jan 25, 2001, 2:47 pm

For under $200, the Outrigger Reef Hotel is a nice place. It's on the beach, has a nice pool area and a good restaurant (Shorebirds). I put my sister and her family of 4 in the hotel and they loved it. They had a nice mountain view room for $144 per night (a bargain for Waikiki). The Hilton Hawaiin Village is another nice place but may be over $200. Aloha!
Old Jan 25, 2001, 2:52 pm

Programs: NW Platinum, Hilton Silver, 3 stays from Starwood Platinum!
I stayed at the Waikiki Beachcomber for 4 nights at $52 a night plus taxes and fee (total was less than $250) about two weeks ago. This price was obtained thru Priceline. It was smack in the middle of Waikiki, right across the street from the beach and the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center. Lower 3* hotel, adequate for my needs.

There are plenty of hotels for under $200. Check Hilton Value Rates for the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Outrigger Reef and Outrigger Waikiki have specials all the time (both are beach properties). My friends had the Reef for $175/night and that included a compact car. Their bathroom was really small, though. The Aston chain or Outrigger usually have "stay 4 nights and get one night free" specials. Who's paying? Do they collect points or miles? Would you prefer a Sheraton or similar chain?

Linda
Old Jan 25, 2001, 3:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I've stayed at the low end Outrigger hotels back along the Ala Wai canal (good for me, as I like to go out and run along the canal first thing in the morning, into the Queen Kapiolani Park). This is about a 15 minute walk from the actual beach area.

Outrigger allows you to use the facilties at their other hotels. During the day I would be poolside at the Outrigger Reef, and always went to their restaurant on the beach for buffet breakfast.

The Outrigger chain has a pretty decent web site: http://www.outrigger.com/hotels/
Old Jan 25, 2001, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
You may be able to get the Waikiki Beachcomber for less than that. I goofed up and booked for 3 individual but consecutive nights and paid $21-25/nt (about $33 inc. tax) using a $20/nt AmEx card kicker.

Check here:
http://pub4.ezboard.com/fpricelinean...abiddinghawaii
Old Jan 25, 2001, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

I ended up putting them at the Radisson Prince Kuhio for $110 a night, which seemed decent to me. There wasn't much availability in the area, unfortunately.

Thanks to all for your great suggestions.
Old Jan 25, 2001, 4:00 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The Sheraton Princess K, across the street from the Moana Surfrider should do fine!
Old Jan 25, 2001, 10:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
JNelson113:

I've stayed at the Prince Kuhio several times when it was still part of the Outrigger chain. It was always very comfortable and quiet plus it had a decent restaurant - breakfast was particularly good. Can't say what the property is like as a Radisson.

I agree with doc, though, on the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, which is directly across the street from the Sheraton Moana Surfrider, which is on the beach. I love the Sheraton PK; stayed there in May/June of 1999 and enjoyed it immensely. Its location is excellent (more convenient to beach, shopping and dining than the Prince Kuhio), the rooms were very nice and the staff was quite accommodating. I would definitely stay there again.

If you have not checked availability at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, I suggest you do. If their room rates are anywhere near those of the Prince Kuhio, I'd grab the Sheraton PK and cancel the reservation you have already made.

Here's hoping it all works out and that your employee and her friend have a wonderful time in Waikiki.
Old Jan 25, 2001, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton, Hyatt
Agree w/ Doc!! I stayed at Sheraton Princess K last Oct for $95/night. I think it usually runs around $100-145 (AAA rate)?? But, overall, it's good value - it's just across from the beach, and right next to International Market Place, and the main street. And, the room rate also includes parking, and it's the same lot for both Princess K and Mona Surfrider (Of course, if you are willing to pay more, Mona Surfrider def. was impressive... =) We also stayed there as well, $235/nite though).
Old Jan 25, 2001, 10:33 pm
EPS

Programs: UA 1P; HHonors Silver
Two words: OHANA Hotels.
Old Jan 26, 2001, 5:57 am

I'll let you in on a secret. Try the Ala Moana hotel. it is very reaonably priced. I was quoted $99 per night through American Express Travel for New Years Eve. It is Waikiki's best kept secret!. It is 5 minutes walk from the excellent beach in Ala Moana Park, and through the walkway into the Ala Moana centre. I like the place, and some the cheaper places in Waikiki are pretty tacky, this is less resort and more like a real hotel. The Ilikai looks very sad and sixties now, and the Hilton Hawaiian village is like a zoo it is so big and set to get bigger.Faiing that see what the new Marriott (it used to be the Hawaiian Regent are offering. They are the opposite end of town and just across from the beach.
Old Jan 26, 2001, 8:08 am
Original Poster

bbinchi, thanks for your recommendation on the Princess K. I checked, and they only have smoking rooms available, which I know my employee would not want. Oh well.

I'm glad to hear that the Prince Kuhio is okay. Thanks again.
Old Jan 26, 2001, 4:59 pm

My first experience in HNL was an early morning(6.30)am checkin at the Moana when it first reopened. I was surprised that they let me in so early with no hassles.The next year i was meeting my mother who was arriving at 6 am and we had booked the Sheraton Princess Kahialani.To my shock they made her wait in the foyer till 3pm before checking her in. they didnt even have a hospitality suite to freshen up. Id NEVER stay in that dump again. the room was "upgraded"the bathroom was so scary.The room looked like it had been trashed by rockstars. i checked out and went to the moana.I have checked in at the Hyatt at 6am many times and they have always had a regency room waiting.PS I always use the 50% UA certs at the Hyatt and get it for $145US++

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.