Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Special Meal = Double Meal: Fair or Foul?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2001, 9:34 am
Original Poster

I took a "Bistro" flight yesterday. In a typical Bistro flight like this, coach passengers grab a meal bag on the gate jetway on the way on the plane. The bag will usually have a meat sandwich, snack chips, dessert cookie, small bottled water -- or similar foods in each category.

After we were airborne, the flight attendent brought a nearby passenger a kosher meal. I overheard someone ask her if she were Jewish. "No," she said, "I just knew I would be extra hungry on the flight." She then pulled out a standard bistro bag from under her seat and ate both meals.

Is this fair or foul? Don't the airlines keep track of bags for flights? If this were a full flight, wouldn'y someone be out of a meal?

------------------
He who dies with the most miles ... is dead.

[This message has been edited by ontheroad (edited 01-30-2001).]
Old Jan 30, 2001, 9:50 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
I always thought there were more meals available than passengers. For instance, what if a person walked up 20 minutes before flight time and bought a ticket for that flight? I'm sure he would be served a meal.
Old Jan 30, 2001, 10:09 am

If someone has the stomach to handle two of those meals, so be it. But you are right, if it is a full flight, they could have been short one meal. I have been on Bistro flight when they are trying to get meals to everyone by collecting meals from those that did not need them (e.g., special meals, for first class pax, or jump seat crew).
Old Jan 30, 2001, 11:10 am

Ok, excuse me but what is a "bistro" flight??
Old Jan 30, 2001, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally posted by Spider:
Ok, excuse me but what is a "bistro" flight??
There's a basket full of bag lunches at the end of the jetway. You're supposed to serve yourself as you get on the plane.
Old Jan 30, 2001, 11:48 am
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Eat 2 coach meals?? By choice and deception?? WOW!!
Old Jan 30, 2001, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Airlines try to have the exact number of meals that is needed, and no more. Sometimes when I buy a last minute ticket, my boarding pass reads, "meal service may not be available" even though it is a meal flight. This is because catering stocks only the meals it needs.

All the more so for premium cabins. This is why your choice of meal (in F) may not be available.

[This message has been edited by zrs70 (edited 01-30-2001).]
Old Jan 30, 2001, 2:01 pm

I've always viewed the "bistro" carts as fair game for anyone that wants multiple meals. I don't recall a sign or announcement saying "take ONE" - and the cart always seems to be loaded up with far more meals than even seats on the plane - let alone pax. Having said that, I personally have never taken more than one - nor could I imagine eating more than one!

[This message has been edited by BeantownFlyer (edited 01-30-2001).]
Old Jan 30, 2001, 2:09 pm

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
Swiping the extra meal wasn't very cool. If you are really hungry, then pick up some subway before you board.

People
Old Jan 30, 2001, 6:58 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Foul. You bought the airline ticket and you get one barely (if so much) digestible meal. Anything else is basically stealing, IMHO... but not a federal case either way
Old Jan 30, 2001, 8:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UAL Premex
Everybody has forgotton one thing here.......................

She received the special meal "from" the airline. No rules where broken here. There was no scam or deception either.........she simply booked it ahead of time and took her alloted preboarding bag also. Good for her for thinking ahead. I would have done the same thing as I always book special meals regardless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.