Search

Thoughts on Heathrow - Sheraton Skyline

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2001, 10:05 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Thoughts on Heathrow - Sheraton Skyline

I'm looking to spend an overnite near Heathrow later this year. I know I could go into London, but it will be an overnight after 2 weeks in Scotland and before a 11 am return flight to the states. I'd like a nice, low stress stay at a reasonable price.

I located an executive king room for 115 per nite. This seems pretty reasonable to me - any comments about this hotel or other alternatives?

Thanks, Larry
Old Jan 7, 2001, 11:32 am

The Sheraton Skyline is OK. The rooms are a decent size and the Executive rooms have a two-seater sofa and occassional table.

There is a pool in the central atrium, which is OK but affords no privacy.

On the down-side, there is no Executive Lounge - unlike the Hilton or Marriot - However, the restaurant is stylish as is the adjacent cocktail bar. The Bar and Diner I find horrible, they are a pastiche of an American Sports Bar, which I can't believe either an American or anyone else can take seriously.

Travel to and from Heathrow T1,2,3 is OK on the Hotel Hopper - despite the small charge, which I object too - but their is no longer a Hopper to T4.

Personally I prefer the Hilton - if leaving from, T4 - or the Marriott.

Although there are some fantastic hotels within a resonable distance from Heathrow, which have real character and charm - whenever possible I avoid the airport and go for these now.

A rate of GBP 115 is OK, I have a corporate rate of GBP 85 for a normal room, bnut have never failed to be upgraded as a Starwood Platinum. The welcome gift is invariably a half-bottle of red wine, some petit-fois and fruit. Oh yeh, and a newspaper voucher for use in the lobby!

Nick
Old Jan 7, 2001, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
Larrude: I agree mostly with Nick, the executive rooms have everything you'd want, and I've gotten suites consistently since I've been Plat.

The sports bar is pretty bad, although it would be better if they showed American sports. I've found the regular restaurant food, & room service, to be decent.

Check-in/out are always efficient & speedy.

Contrary to some FT'ers, I've found the Skyline & the Sheraton Heathrow to be about the same.

IMHO, one of the best features of the Skyline (as well as the Marriott next door) is the location, which is convenient to local bus & train service into Paddington without having to take the Hoppa back into the airport.
Old Jan 7, 2001, 12:10 pm
Dub

Programs: UA 1K, 2MM
I agree with Nick on this description. It's ok for an airport hotel, but the bar is so bad, it's funny. That rate you got is quite reasonable, but keep checking the Sheraton web site.

Question for Nick: When you say there is no Hopper to the Hilton at T4, do you mean there is no way to get from the Hilton out there to T3? I have a trip next month where I need to stay one night at LHR (I'll be in Warwick for a day, and have an early AM flight the next day), and I was planning to stay at the T4 Hilton since I'm silver VIP with them. If I use the Hilton, how would I get to T3? Thanks!
Old Jan 7, 2001, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally posted by Dub:
When you say there is no Hopper to the Hilton at T4, do you mean there is no way to get from the Hilton out there to T3?
You can walk back to T4 and take the Heathrow Express for free to/from T 1,2&3. Departure every 15 mins.
Old Jan 7, 2001, 12:31 pm
Dub

Programs: UA 1K, 2MM
Thanks! What would Heathrow be without a nice walk somewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.