Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Machu Picchu

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2000, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Machu Picchu

I,m thinking of hiking up the Inca Trail in mid November with my adult daughter. Anyone been there who can comment on weather, safety, camping, lodging, and time necessary to see the sights? thanks
Old Sep 20, 2000, 11:06 am

Was there a couple years ago. Didn't hike the trail but spent an entire day at the ruins. It's truly amazing. I believe the trail takes 3-4 days to hike. I think you should plan on an entire day at the ruins because there is a lot to see. Also be sure to give yourself some time to acclimatize. We had been in Lima, jumped on a plane to Cuzco and then took the train right up to the ruins. We had some altitude issues. Enjoy the trip.
Jeff
Old Sep 20, 2000, 1:49 pm
Original Member

Location: Tucson, Southern Arizona, North America, Western Hemisphere, The Earth, a small planet in the solar system. Previously OnePass Infinite Platinum Elite, now over entitled 1K
Make sure that you are in shape before you plan on taking the hike, remember that you'll be climbing through 14,000 foot mountain passes. Outstanding countryside, but there is real danger for the unprepared.

At Machu-Picchu take a hike up Huayna Picchu, the peak overlooking the ruins, there is a decent trail to the top, about an hour climb, superb views of the ruins and surrounding area!

[This message has been edited by Old Gold (edited 09-20-2000).]
Old Sep 20, 2000, 5:05 pm

I did the two day hike just over three years ago and it ranks right up there as one of the most awesome and awe inspiring experiences of all my travels. Think of it as Outward Bound meets Shirley MacLaine! Weatherwise I can't comment on November though I think it would be a good time of the year but I can certainly answer your other questions.

Safety .... not a problem. Peru's problem with the guerillas (Sendero Luminoso) is no more. However I recommend you do the trek with an accredited guide. I did not prearrange my trek. Instead I flew into Cuzco and spent the first day there getting acclimatized to the altitude (walking really slowly, drinking lots of coca tea - as recommended by my Peruvian hosts. This tea is legit, you can even buy it at the grocery store. I bought a box back and declared it at customs without any problems). The second day I went to the main square (Plaza de Armas?) and did some comparison shopping and settled on the 2 day rather than the 4 day hike. (If you take the 4 day trek you get off the train earlier along the track).

For the one night and two days all I took was the clothes on my back, 6 litres of water, some energy bars, mosquito replellant (recommend you take Malaria prophylaxsis) and a sleeping bag. Actually I didn't have a sleeping bag and one was provided for me for a nominal rental charge. All the meals were provided and while it was not five star dining it certainly hit the spot when you're hungry enough to eat a horse.

We did not have to pitch a tent to camp instead we overnighted at a small restaurant/hostel in the mountains. When it was bed time we just cleared away some tables and chairs and rolled out our sleeping bags on the floor!

Some precautions: you should be reasonably fit as the hike can be strenuous in parts. If you suffer from vertigo you should know that at times you're hiking along trails that are at the edge of the mountains. You are awaken the next morning at around 4h00 to resume your hike so that you can arrive at Macchu Picchu by the break of dawn. Then you have the whole morning there to explore the sites and even to climb up Huayna Picchu which is also challenging in parts. Note - you've got the site all to yourselves as the buses bringing in the tourists from the train don't get there till late morning.

I recommend the two day trek as you don't have to lug too much stuff along, you don't even have to worry about showering!

There are several bonuses that you miss out on if you take the train all the way there and bus it up to the site. There are some spectacular ruins and vistas along the way. The best part for me was coming around the side of the last mountain and making my way through a portal when all at once there was Macchu Picchu below me - covered with morning mist and bathed by the eerie glow of the rising sun. It was absolutely cosmic and beyond description.

One other note, if you do make the trek and find it trying along the way, don't despair, the guide is very patient. In our group we had one person who was lagging way behind but the guide stayed back. And while in the beginning our group was comprised of 7 or 8 individuals by the quarter point we had become a team sharing snacks, stories, and looking out for each other. By the way, I had signed up for an English speaking guide but it turned out that everone else in my group was Spanish speaking so the guide spoke Spanish all the way! No complaints from me as I saw it as a bonus - a free Spanish immersion course!
Old Sep 20, 2000, 9:26 pm

I had a real bad time with the altitude in Cuzco, and had to cancel Machu Picchu. I was surprised as I have spent time at 9,000 feet in the past, with no ill effects. A few canisters of oxygen turned me around. I should have used the 02 sooner. Good luck and enjoy.
Old Sep 21, 2000, 9:29 am
Original Poster

thank you, all, for the intelligent replies!!
Old Sep 21, 2000, 9:03 pm

Wow Gabriel, great description. I'm ready to go on a diet and start planning a journey to Peru!
Glenn
Old Sep 21, 2000, 11:03 pm

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
yeah, me too, Gabriel...
but, one question, did u see any BUGS, like roaches, when u were sleeping on the floor? anywhere?
if there are, then i am taking the bus!
Old Sep 22, 2000, 10:00 am
Original Member

Location: Tucson, Southern Arizona, North America, Western Hemisphere, The Earth, a small planet in the solar system. Previously OnePass Infinite Platinum Elite, now over entitled 1K
Yes, belle3388, There are bugs.

In places like the one described by Gabriel there is a roach-like insect that is the carrier of Chagas' disease, a chronic, difficult to treat illness, that fortunately is not contracted by a large number of travelers.

Thought I'd add:
I hope that I don't appear too negative in my posting in this thread, I've travelled in South America since the early '70's, keep going back, I recommend it to those interested! There are risks involved, and one should be aware of them.

[This message has been edited by Old Gold (edited 09-22-2000).]
Old Sep 22, 2000, 10:20 am

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
thanks, old gold, i am definitely joining a tour group in a bus!

i freeze at the sight of big cockroach-like BUGs, and faint if they fly towards me...
Old Sep 22, 2000, 1:10 pm

.... please see below.

[This message has been edited by Gabriel (edited 09-22-2000).]
Old Sep 22, 2000, 1:17 pm

Thanks Glenn & Belle. I don't think you need to be super fit to do this trek but I would say a couch potato would find it difficult. Belle, I don't recall seeing any roaches or creepy crawlies on the floor and definitely nothing that came flying at me but I can tell you, I was so tired I wouldn't have noticed. Plus it helps if you're a bit typsy - a Chilean guy in our group brought out a bottle of (Chilean?) whiskey and passed it around and around - I knew I was over my limit when I started telling jokes in Spanish!

How can I convince you not to take the bus up? Picture an exhausting yet exhilirating climb with the view of Machu Picchu as seen by the Incas - unspoilt, untouched, for you and your small intimate group with only the sound of the wind around you. Now picture a tour bus loaded with over a hundred tourists (versus adventurers!) spewing exhaust fumes as it labors up the carved up mountain side, passing a hotel, restaurant and souvenir vendors before dropping you off at the entrance that might well be like getting into Disney World. Okay, slight exaggeration! But, if you can, do the trek!

Old Gold, I didn't think you were negative. Always good to be prepared where ever you go!

[This message has been edited by Gabriel (edited 09-22-2000).]
Old Sep 22, 2000, 6:12 pm

thanks, gabriel, machu piccu and anarctica, two places i MUST go visit in the next two years...
Old Sep 22, 2000, 8:59 pm
Original Member

Do it belle3388!, I suggest that you plan to stay a night at the tourist hotel by the ruins so that you can be there before the many day trippers arrive on the tourist trains. expensive, but it's got the location, Agua Caliente, the nearby town below is an option for the cost sensitive traveler.

Machu Picchu at dawn or dusk is an experience not to be missed.
Old Sep 23, 2000, 12:24 am

thanks, i will certainly bring this thread back to ask more questions when i am ready to go...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.