Wiki Posts
Search

AirTran

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2000, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

AirTran

Hello everyone,
I noticed some of the cheap fare from AirTran, especially out of HOU ( I tried use IAH than HOU). Can anyone give me some input about this airline? I looked at their Frequent Flyer program, they are almost the same as Southwest's.
thanks.

Old Aug 10, 2000, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
AirTran is essentially the old ValuJet. Some time after the events of May 1996, ValuJet bought a smaller carrier called AirTran, and adopted its name and colors...

(FWIW note: I am sitting typing this message about 10 miles from the Flight 592 crash site)
Old Aug 10, 2000, 7:39 pm
Original Member

Well, I've flown both airlines and since you asked, here's my nickel's worth...

1. I much prefer AirTran.
2. Southwest is no place for a frequent flyer; if you only fly occasionally, it will probably suit you fine.

Here are some points to consider in comparing the two. They may or may not apply to you, so take them for what they're worth. Also bear in mind, that this is a personal *opinion* and not gospel.

- AirTran has assigned seats and usually (not 100% of the time, but usually) an orderly boarding procedure. Southwest is a cattle stampede. Southwest lets about 20-30 people pre-board; hence the #1 card you stood in line for over an hour for is not worth a bucket of warm spit.
- AirTran has exit row seats. Ask for them when you check in. Since AirTran does not preassign seats, the early bird scores the seats. Southwest has face-to-face seating where there is some extra space, so you and the person you're staring at are sharing the same knee room. This is OK is you are both under 5 feet tall.
- If you change planes on a Southwest flight, you HAVE TO STAND IN LINE ALL OVER AGAIN...every segment. Better have LOTS of time between planes.
- I have never been in an AirTran line where they were checking in multiple flights, leaving close together, in the same line. This has happened to me on Southwest ---FYI, it was in HOU where this happened...chaos!-- and was the reason I quit flying them forever. But again, this is a personal thing, so don't think I'm saying this happens all the time. It's just that once was enuff for this traveller.
- The FAs on AirTran are professional and efficient. I say this so you won't think I am cutting them down when I say that they don't match the joy and enthusiasm of the SOuthwest FAs. No airline that I've ever flown on has matched them, although the Air Micronesia crews come close.
- I can't speak on the safety issue with any authority. I can only tell you that I regularly have my wife and daughter fly with them and never lose a minute's sleep over it. Very subjective, yes.
-Both airlines...AirTran out of Ft. Walton Beach and Southwest out of Houston leave and arrive as regular as clockwork. VERY dependable in my experience!
-Southwest has a thicker in-flight magazine.
-AirTran has Business Class seating available for a very reasonable cost. Just remember that you are only getting the space, not a meal with real dinnerware.

I much prefer AirTran, but again, that's just my opinion. I hope the info helps you pick the one that works best for you.

[This message has been edited by hnechets (edited 08-10-2000).]
Old Aug 10, 2000, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your info.
I am not too crazy about Southwest. Why? Maybe because I have to fly out of HOU everytime I fly Southwest. My company booked Southwest for me twice, and I told them twice is last for me. I much prefer CO because of NW miles that I collect because of frequent Asia routes.
As for AirTran, my wife's parents flew them and they enjoyed the flights a lot. Personally, I try to avoid MD-80s or any legacy MDs. It's not because they are not safe, they might be the safest aircrafts in the world, but I can't stand the noise of the engine, if you get stuck in the last couple of rows,which happens to me most of the time.

------------------
and the meek shall inherit the earth.... Yeah right!

Al
Old Aug 11, 2000, 3:27 pm

How much longer does the NEW AirTran have to be referred to as the OLD ValuJet?

The crash happened over four years ago. The parent company of ValuJet purchased AirTran in '97, merged with them in '98 to operate under a single certificate, and that acquisition has allowed both companies to survive in one way or another. Had ValuJet not purchased AirTran, I don't believe either company would be flying today.

Still, when a flight from GSO-ATL returned to the airport reporting smoke in the cockpit early in the week, to sensationalize the report, it had to be pointed out that AirTran is the former ValuJet, which had a tragic crash when Flt 592 from MIA-ATL carrying 115 pax/crew crashed into the Florida Everglades on May 11, 1996.

Do not other a/c make emergency landings reporting smoke in the cabin, unruly pax, hydraulic failure, faulty landing gear indicator lights, etc? It happens every day. I know, because I used to work at what is now the World's Busiest Airport, but it isn't always viewed as newsworthy.

Non-NonRev, I do appreciate that you did not feel the need to go into detail about the incidents of 1996, but it appears the media does just that every chance they get.

There has been a lot of positive press out there about AirTran in recent months, which has helped, but the constant reminder of who they were is getting old.

I think it is great that AirTran lives on using ValuJet's planes, employees, and route network, and has grown to the point that it now carries more passengers than the former ValuJet did.

They are accepting brand-new B717 a/c, with 11 in service, 39 on order and 50 on option. For every two B717s delivered to them, they are retiring one DC9, allowing for modest growth. The four remaining 737s will be retired w/in six months, leaving them with two a/c types.

They are making money, for five consecutive qtrs now, business is growing in double-digits, Toledo was just announced as a new/old destination, and another will be announced by yearend.

One of the best things is they give passengers an option when traveling between the 30+ cities they serve. And often that option is a less expensive one. Saving money is a big thing, especially for the money conscious small businesses scattered all over the East Coast and the typical middle-class family of four wanting to take a summer vacation to visit the folks.

I was really looking forward to my first AirTran flight later this month, from MYR-ATL onboard one of the new B717s. Unfortunately, my plans changed. Perhaps some other time.

Long live AirTran! ValuJet (the name) is dead and should be put to rest.

[This message has been edited by AtlMan (edited 08-11-2000).]
Old Aug 11, 2000, 3:54 pm
Original Member

I think a lot of the problem with Valujet/Airtran is that until recently their fleet has consisted of very old DC9-32s cobbled together from various sources all over the world. These aircraft were first registered between 1968-72. (It is noteworthy that similar a/c from that era are still registered to AC, NW, US, TW, CO, USAF, USN).

They also have newer a/c including 737-200s one of which has been registered 12 times in 9 countries, but at least its only 24 years old. However, and in all fairness, they are getting brand new B717s (MD95s), which should be as good as anything else flying today.

[This message has been edited by james (edited 08-11-2000).]
Old Aug 11, 2000, 5:14 pm

Programs: USAir AA Hilton
I used to fly AirTran a lot.. business class is decent - and for a great fare.. of course, only snacks no matter how long the flight - but since noone's food is worth eating anyway, not sure that's a big loss.

I sat next to a FAA inspector who told me they are one of the most inspected airlines in the sky - so I feel as safe there as anywhere.. the terribly tragedy was really human error loading flammables that shouldn't bave been loaded - and you can bet that won't happen again!

My only pblm is that you have to fly to Atlanta no matter which direction you're going. In my case, I'd have to fly GSO to ATL and then back north to get to DAY or Dulles, and the schedules are difficult to work for me.

My real issue is that their frequent flier program is only going to get you a ticket to somewhere you probably wouldn't consider for vacation... Not really interested in saving my company money on a future flight - I want the miles for a great vacation for ME!
Old Aug 11, 2000, 5:24 pm
Original Member

My only pblm is that you have to fly to Atlanta no matter which direction you're going.
You don't fly Delta then? Accroding to my Florida in-laws, you have to change in Atlanta to get to heaven or hell.
Old Aug 11, 2000, 5:58 pm

As I understand it, their Rapid Rewards program allows to you fly to destinations outside those they actually serve. Don't know what the requirements are, but that is available. Check it out!
Old Aug 11, 2000, 7:20 pm

My gripe with Airtran is the strict 1 carry on item only rule. I hate to check anything!
Old Aug 11, 2000, 8:21 pm

I've flown on AirTran several times recently, on the the 717's, from ATL-GSO, ATL-FLL and ATL-Gulfport/Biloxi; on-time, pleasant FA's, nice planes - all-round good experience. I, too, have wondered why they continue to be stuck with the ValuJet baggage; I can't think of a major airline that hasn't had its share of "catastrophic events", as well as many that were near-catastrophic. The bottom line, IMHO, is that there are no indications (that I know of) that AirTran is not just as safe today as any other carrier, and besides, the fact that they serve ATL gives some of us an option other than DL. Give 'em a chance, guys!
Old Aug 11, 2000, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've gotten even worse treatment at the gate and on the ground on AirTran than on UA. But it's fine in the air, except that as has been pointed out the planes I've been on were ancient and very delapidated (the toilet had a chain you pulled down...just kidding)

I avoid them when I can but sometimes going on them is very compelling if you are going to ATL for instance they are 1/2 the price of DL and UA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.