Search

Long lines - statistics on # of agents

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2000, 5:53 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Long lines - statistics on # of agents

Got these stats from MSNBC: Source: Wall Street Journal

I see CO is #1 and DL is last for the major full-fare airlines.
-------------------------------------------
Airline Passengers
per Day Agents P/A Ratio
1. Continental 100,885 6,689 15 to 1
Ranked No. 1, and trying to get even better. Nationwide, airline is installing ATM-style kiosks for self-service check-in.

2. United 209,658 12,252 17 to 1
Good in most cities, but beware of its Denver hub. There, the ratio was 38 passengers for each check-in agent.

3. Northwest 132,573 6,700 20 to 1
In some airports, roaming agents with wireless portable devices can print boarding passes and luggage tags for fliers.

4. US Airways 147,704 6,888 21 to 1
The incredibly shrinking airline: fewer passengers, fewer agents every year since '96.

5. America West 50,299 2,400 21 to 1
Phoenix-based airline says it's recruiting airport agents heavily, but it added only 100 staffers last year.

6. Trans World Airlines 68,159 3,000 23 to 1
Airline says it's trying to address long lines but has no immediate plans to upgrade technology at the counters.

7. American 180,841 7,452 24 to 1
Ratio may be taking a toll: American has the most boarding-related complaints of any airline so far this year.

8. Delta 270,800 8,033 34 to 1
Outside most Delta terminals, fliers can now get boarding passes at curbside to avoid crowds.

9. Southwest 178,871 2,631 68 to 1
Unembarrassed, airline says numbers show how productive its employees are. It also helps that Southwest doesn't issue traditional boarding passes.

Old Apr 25, 2000, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
Not having to process upgrades, connections with other airlines, seating requests or complicated fares probably have a lot to do with Southwest's efficiency.
Old Apr 27, 2000, 10:34 am

Programs: SPEBSQSA
HP continues to get worse. Was in the elite line last month, and was told by the passenger ahead of me that he had been in line for 1/2 hour. The elite line was not long, either.

Heard from staff in the HP Club that HP has trouble hiring and keeping employees because it doesn't pay to standard. Hense, people get trained by HP, and transfer to another airline for more $$ as soon as they can.

------------------
The only difference between ordinary service and extraordinary service is a little EXTRA.

-- Bob
Old Apr 28, 2000, 6:59 am

While DL may be last among majors, the only time I've had to wait more than a few minutes in the last two years was last month in MSP.

A guy in front of me in the medallion line wanted to revise his entire itinerary standing at the counter. After about eight or nine minutes of waiting, one of the non-elite counter agents started taking medallion flyers instead.

Maybe it's not how many people, but how you use them that provide service.
Old Apr 28, 2000, 7:11 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
ClubChamp - try checking in at BOS someday: the DL staff are courteous and reasonably efficient (comparable anyway to the UA people), but the lines and waits are appalling.

------------------
Cheers
Michael *G
Old Apr 28, 2000, 8:44 pm

After reading the stats and always seeing the endless lines at UA,AA during rush hour, I pledge to be an FF elite .

Too bad many non elite people aren't so luckly ,so they endure the wait.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.