Wiki Posts
Search

Monterey Hotels?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2000, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
Monterey Hotels?

I was wondering whether anyone can give me some tips on where to stay in Monterey. I am looking for something not too expensive. Right now I have reservations at the Hyatt Regency, and Marriott Monterey. Has anyone stayed there before? I am looking for something up to $200/night.

thanks for any suggestions.
Old Jan 13, 2000, 9:09 am
Original Member

A few years ago, my husband and I spent a lovely weekend at the Spindrift Inn. It was a beautiful B&B Inn. They had victorian furnishings, our room had a four poster bed and faced Cannery Row and a view of the Ocean (corner room). We also had a wonderful balcony with lounge chairs. All rooms had a fireplace (they supplied the firewood...you had to start the fire), you also had a VCR and a Videotape Rental Machine to rent movies.
The room included breakfast served in your room every morning (fresh fruit, bread basket, juice and coffee), and they had sherry and afternoon tea from 3-5.
You could walk onto the beach from the hotel, as well as Cannery Row, and they have Valet Parking.
I believe we paid about $175 per night on the weekend.
Highly recommended.
Old Jan 13, 2000, 12:12 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Is this a business trip or pleasure?

If pleasure there are a lot of great B&Bs as mentioned above, but you'd probably want someone else with you to share in the fun. Green Gables, Seven Gables and the Gosby House in Pacific Grove are all wonderful Victorian inns with fireplaces in the rooms and canopy beds.

It's been a while since I've been to the Hyatt, but it was nothing special. The Monterey Plaza Hotel on Cannery Row is very nice. Short walk to the aquarium, on the water, good service, very elegant.
Old Jan 13, 2000, 5:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: Delta Flying Colonel, Lifetime Silver Medallion, Million Miler
Hyatt is older and quite adequate, but nothing special. Rooms are in separate buildings bordering an old golf course. Flowers are usually nice however. Most everything in town is overpriced for what you get, but views are great. If only interested in good rooms, try Embassy Suites in Seaside which is right near Monterey.
Old Jan 13, 2000, 5:51 pm
Original Member

Stayed at the Marriott a few years ago, which was very nice. Make sure to have breakfast especially or lunch at the Tinnery at Lovers Point in Pacific Grove. If you are on Fishermen's Wharf, see if the Abalonetti Seafood Trattoria has the french fried articoke hearts on the menu as an appetizer (great junk food). And definitely head a few miles south to the Big Sur coast and have lunch or dinner at Nepenthe, looking out over the trees and the ocean. Probably the oldest new age place around. Clint's place, the Hog's breath Inn, is worth a stop in Carmel to see if you can see him, but good burgers and steaks also.
Old Jan 13, 2000, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. I am going with my girlfriend for a nice getaway weekend. Sounds like the inns are nicer... any additional suggestions?

Thanks.
Old Jan 13, 2000, 7:43 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Here's a few B&B links/sugestions:
http://www.go-native.com/California/CA.Monterey.shtml
http://travelguides.com/inns/full/CA/1927.html
http://www.pacificgardensinn.com/

BTW- MMMmmm great Chardonnay!!!
Old Jan 13, 2000, 7:58 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Check out www.highlands-inn.com

Although not a B&B, this inn in Carmel has fantastic views, and wonderful suites with fireplaces and double-sized bathtubs. It's a Park Hyatt now too.
Old Jan 14, 2000, 8:50 am
formerly known as RK7

Programs: Many
Downtown Monterey near the wharf is the Hotel Pacific. Nice rooms, all with fireplaces. It's AAA 4-diamond and you can often get a pretty good rate with either Entertainment Card or AAA. Our favorite restaurant in Monterey is Montrio which is near the hotel. It was rated one of the best new restaurants in the country a couple of years ago in Esquire. Drive out to Big Sur (30-45 minutes) and eat at either Ventana or Nepenthe. Sprectacular views, spectacular drive.
Old Jan 14, 2000, 6:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: Delta Flying Colonel, Lifetime Silver Medallion, Million Miler
Adding to RK7's post--you can see the only waterfall that falls directly into the ocean along that drive at a state park. Check Cal website for exact location, but not far from the resturants mentioned. Romantic in twilight!
Old Jan 14, 2000, 7:10 pm

Monterey Plaza Hotel right on the water at the end of the wharf and Cannery Row is awesome.

Get a room on the 3rd or 4th floor right on the bay. The corner rooms have two balconies and you can keep your windows open and listen to the sea lions all night.

These rooms are OVER the water and the views are spectacular.

They recently added a large spa - it's very luxe. I noticed that http://www.luxurylink.com/ has the property on auction now - it's a good deal with bids starting at less than half the market value.

We've stayed there many times and the only other hotel to rival it, for romance, room service, luxury, and views, is the Highland Inns in Carmel.

Of course, Ventana Inn is sublime, but they don't take kids, so that's out for us.

Monterey Plaza is a quick walk to the aquarium and the Cannery Row restaurants.
Old Jan 15, 2000, 8:06 pm
In Memoriam

I was just there this past weekend taking my parents, but we went budget - Comfort in was $53 including taxes (using their AARP discount) and perfectly fine.

One thing you should do if you're there in January or February is see the Monarch Butterflies. The species is migratory, and the ones west of the Rockies winter over in various spots in Northern California (those east of the Rockies head just outside Mexico City). This one location outside Monterey has maybe 8-10,000 of them, all in about a dozen clusters hanging on two trees. There are so many in each cluster, all jammed along the last 2' of the branch, that you can see how they weigh down the branch! They form a tight mass in cool weather for protection, and one butterfly on the ground seemed to love resting on Dad's finger (98.6° probably helped!) The next morning when the sun was on them many were flying about and the rest were spreading their wings.

Interestingly, this generation will live about 8 months: they were born wherever, and will return and then lay eggs. Over the summer will be 3 or 4 more generations, about 4-6 weeks each...and next winter these butterfly’s great-great-grandchildren will make the return trip. How they navigate is a mystery.

The Butterfly Habitat is in Pacific Grove (just west of Monterey), on Ridge Road off of Lighthouse Ave. Lighthouse is the main drag through Monterey and into Pacific Grove; Ridge Road is maybe ˝-mile beyond PG's downtown. It's pretty well marked as you get near it - once you turn onto Ridge Road there's a parking area right opposite the Buttefly Inn; you walk down an alley next to the Inn and into a small park, and the butterflies are clustered in one or two of the trees. There will almost certainly be other looky-loos there, and on weekends probably a docent as well.

There's also another habitat at George Washington Park there, but I'm told this year there aren't many at that location.

Butterflies should be there through February usually; you can call the Butterfly Hotline at (888) 746-6627. I gather this is in a private home, since I got a human at 9:30pm - so don't call real late expecting a recording!
Old Jan 17, 2000, 11:57 am
Original Poster

thanks for all your recommendations on places to stay and things to do.

profhoff, I checked out the Monterey Plaza hotel website and it looks great! I have cancelled my other reservations and booked this hotel! thanks...
Old Jan 17, 2000, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Now here is where you eat: Fresh Cream near Fisherman's Wharf in Monterey. Elegant and romantic (translate: a touch expensive but worth it). Also Roy's at the Inn at Spanish Bay along the 17 Mile Drive. The drive is worth the money anyway but if you don't want to do it and you just want to eat at Roy's, they will let you in for free. Don't miss the Aquarium. In the spring, the ice plant is in full bloom along the coast of Pacific Grove. My husband and I were married there on Lovers' Point at sunset.
Old Jan 21, 2000, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

I have one more question...

What is the best scenic route to drive from SFO to Monterey?

thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.