United LAX-NYC: What do you prefer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United LAX-NYC: What do you prefer?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2000, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quietlion, why the confusion? jAAck is talking about AA's 767 transcon. On United, not all the planes have the new seats. And even with the new seats I still like the 2-Class First Class 757 service is much better than the 3-Class Business 767 experience. Example: On the 767 you get a meal tray. Nice meal but small salad, entree and cookie (maybe pie) all on the same tray. 757 First, you get each course served separately and depending on the time of day, the sundae cart. Just better service for the 24 First Class passengers, IMHO. It's designed more for "pampering" rather than "business". In business I think the idea is to get the meal to you and then leave you alone to work. At least that's been my experience.
Old Feb 3, 2000, 11:37 pm

Cool

JAAck,
I'm agreeing with you. JFK is far too maligned. It's not that bad - even if the only road in is the VanWyck distressway. (Also known as the VanD**k.
Anyway, don't we need shots to get into
New Jersey ??
Old Feb 4, 2000, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I guess maybe it's a tossup for 767 C-class versus 757 F-class. But if you can upgrade to F-class on the 767 (or 747) with the new seats, there is no better domestic service.
Old Feb 4, 2000, 11:09 am

QL,

Though I haven't flown UA on this route in a few years, lets not forget that JFK/LAX/SFO is UA's "premium transcon product" which is to say that sitting in C JFK/LAX is not like sitting in C LAX-ORD. This is one of UA's most profitable F/C routes. I believe RT in F is $4,000. The C service should be better than F in a 757.

the scribbler
Old Feb 4, 2000, 12:00 pm

Location: Southern California - UA1K, Delta GM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
Here is my two cents.. I prefer the Business class seats to the bulky leather seats on United First (757). Even the newere seats on first, do not have the leg rest that 767 and 747 C class does. I would always go for the 767 (I liek 2 aisle planes) especially if going red-eye.. but good luck.. with your choice. I sleep alot on planes, so I prefer the leg rests
Old Feb 4, 2000, 1:18 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

scribbler, that was really the essence of my question. Is C class LAX-JFK any different from normal domestic C class on a 3-class plane?

Footrests are nice, so are personal videos.
Old Feb 4, 2000, 4:58 pm

QL,

Absolutely, there is, or was a difference at least two years ago. In my experience again dating two years ago, the product was superior to domestic F. FWIW, the employee cabin on the LAX-JFK run is sold in "P".

Some info: http://www.ual.com/site/primary/0,10017,1133,00.html

Personally I prefer widebodies and extra leg room. 757 F is tight for me.

It would seem to me that LAX-JFK could be no worse than LAX-EWR, but it has the potential to be better.

NB: At JFK you leave from a different terminal than the standard UA flights. Also the traffic situation to/from JFK is not as bad if you're travelling at "off-peak" hours.

I also seem to recall some trip reports a few months back documenting LAX-JFK in C/F. Certainly you could refrence those against Catman's LAX-EWR

--scribbler
Old Feb 4, 2000, 7:24 pm

Here goes a rebellios comment:

I'd go for Continental to Newark on a 757 in first!
Old Feb 5, 2000, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
I agree with Catman & PremEx (big surprise).

And, as a NYC Upper West Sider, my airport allegiances are clear: EWR rules, LGA is OK, JFK ****s.
Old Feb 5, 2000, 4:11 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Tute, if you provide the upgrade on CO I'll certainly consider it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.