Old Feb 2, 2000, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Priceline Article-LA Times/CNN

I thought an interesting article on Priceline today:

http://www.cnn.com/2000/TRAVEL/NEWS/...lat/index.html

Old Feb 2, 2000, 5:52 pm
In memoriam

Hmm. I don't think it's interesting at all, but a bunch of shlock reporting. Ignorance of the rules is no excuse. And reporting inaccuracies indicate little credibility in my opinion.
Old Feb 2, 2000, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I agree about knowing and accepting rules. But personally I think it's always interesting to know how the general public perceives various services.

I have just re-read the article and don't see any evidence of shlock anything. The reporter just quotes various individuals about their preceived problems with this service and gives a general warning that this service may not be for everybody. Would be very interested to know specifically what statements reflect "reporting inaccuracies" by this journalist.

In fact I believe the article is fairly impartial based on the general "warning" context of the story, and the statement of the reporter in the second to last paragraph that actually says that this can be a very good service for some.

[This message has been edited by PremEx (edited 02-02-2000).]
Old Feb 3, 2000, 9:53 am
Original Member

Smile

Not a bad article.
Old Feb 3, 2000, 12:41 pm
Commander Catcop

I found no problems with the article. It was balanced (the writer said "many people had success with Priceline, but be warned of the many restrictions.)

That's the BIGGEST reason why I don't think I'll ever book with Priceline ro similar services. I feel like I'm at the mercy of the service in telling me when I can fly and where I can go.

I rather spend a little bit more money to have the convenience of a United website or antoher travel service.

Old Feb 3, 2000, 12:56 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
It's a lesson for the less-experienced traveler: know the rules that you agree to and don't do something as "a gamble" and then complain about it later when you lose.
Old Feb 3, 2000, 1:24 pm
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
I think that jeffreyt is right on the mark here.

Actually, Priceline allows you to specify when and where to go. You can say that you want to go from airport AAA to airport ZZZ on a certain date and exclude red eye flights, and that you want no more than 1 connection.

What Priceline does not let you do is to specify the airline or the routing. Since I get more perks on United than on other airlines, I factor this in on my bid.
Old Feb 3, 2000, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One of my neighbors ended up with over $50 in extra "fees" on a red-eye transcon flight in Dec. She also got seated in a middle seat between 2 mega-plumpies. It took her 3 days to recover.

Final "savings" were $36 over booking a regular fare......and she missed getting ff miles to boot. She said "nevermore" to Priceline after that. I have heard the hotel deal is better. I may try that soon.
Old Feb 5, 2000, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
I also thought it was a good article... and it also confirmed that this service is not for me.
Old Feb 5, 2000, 1:43 pm

Programs: Delta DM 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I think the article was good, pointing out the benefits but also the risks. I was thinking about using priceline for cheap flights or even mileage runs, but i did not know the airlines could tell that it was a priceline ticket, also didn't know no ffmiles (is this correct?) that really makes the tic worth less. Would anyone care to share how traveling was on a priceline ticket, what other priveleges are given up etc.?
Old Feb 5, 2000, 4:39 pm

MileDog - if you take a look on the PriceLine site itself, it states, in the Ticket Restriction area of the Terms and Conditions area that "no Freq. Flyer mileage is credit and no upgrades are allowed." It also states that tickets are "non-refundable, non-endorsable, non-changeable, as well as no stopovers, no open-jaws, and no one-ways."

see: http://www.priceline.com/PricelineAS...rlineterms.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.