Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shuttle to Metro from IAD?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 1999, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Shuttle to Metro from IAD?

When I lived in DC, I seem to remember a shuttle from IAD to the West Falls Church Metro station. Does this exist? I need to get from Dulles to Union Station after an early morning international arrival next month.
Old Nov 27, 1999, 10:52 am
Commander Catcop

From the Salk's International Airport Transit Guide:

Washington Flyer to West Farms Church Metro Station every 30 mins: 6am-10:30pm M-F; 7:30a-10:30pm. Trip is 17 mins. Cost: $8.

Transfer at West Farms to Orange Line Metro $1.65. 20-25 mins to downtown stations.

If you have the time and NOT too much luggage this might work for you. But a minimum 45 min trip, I don't know.

If you go this route please post a report on how it went.

I normally take a cab (most of my trips to D-C are for business) or take the dreaded SuperShuttle.
Old Nov 27, 1999, 11:02 am

Terminal with the cab line across from Baggage claim #2. There might be one down by the international gates ... I never get down there. But yes, they still exist.

I would question the advisability of carrying multitple bags on Metro too, but I certainly wouldn't do it in a cab.

All questions answered here:
http://www.metwashairports.com/Dulles/washflyer.html

Tom
Old Nov 27, 1999, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Since I'm doing this on my own dime, a cab is pretty much out of the question. I'll only have one large pullman-type suitcase on wheels, so I think I can manage.

I was happy to see at the website link that there is new service directly to Union Station, which would save the Metro hassle.

I hate to show how ignorant I am--but what's the SuperShuttle??

------------------
Old Nov 27, 1999, 2:43 pm

Programs: NW Platinum, Hilton Silver, 3 stays from Starwood Platinum!
The SuperShuttle is a chain transportation business that operates in all the major airports. They advertise door-to-door service...either taking you from the airport to your exact address dropoff point or picking you up at your residence and taking you to the airport.
Some people swear by them, and then, I've heard some horror stories. The last one I took was SFO last week. It was good. Waited less than 5 minutes to board, and was downtown and unpacking in less than 35 minutes. You need to have your zip code ready when you call for a reservation on the 800 number. I didn't, called an alternative van service, and got terribly car-sick.
"Bestfares" always has discounts for them.
Old Nov 27, 1999, 4:50 pm
Commander Catcop

Canonlaw: I put a link in here to Supershuttle:
http://www.supershuttle.com/was.htm

They have been hit or miss with me. Just one piece of advice: if you are paying with a credit card MAKE SURE YOU CALL THE DAY OF DEPARTURE TO CONFIRM AND REMIND THEM YOU ARE PAYING WITH CREDIT CARD. OTHERWISE THE DRIVER WILL FORGET THE SWIPER!

And here's an old trip report on my SuperShuttle Experience in Philadelphia:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum81/HTML/000247.html

[This message has been edited by Catman (edited 11-27-1999).]
Old Nov 27, 1999, 8:20 pm

For those who live in the East Bay area, Bayporter Express is a good service (SuperShuttle doesn't serve this area). I remember fares of ~$16 from Oakland/Berkeley to both SFO and OAK. If you stop by one of the UA ticket offices, you can even pick up a $2 discount coupon. Very reliable, and friendly drivers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.