Wiki Posts
Search

Weekend in Paris....

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 1999, 1:25 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Weekend in Paris....

Like essxjay, I plan a mileage run, but to Paris for the weekend. Is there anything that I should have to worry about or stay away from? Conversely, any things that are a must see? I've only been once and it was almost 10 years ago. All my friends and relatives think I'm nuts, but I can't stand the thought of losing elite status...
Old Nov 25, 1999, 9:26 am
Original Member

See the Musee d'Orsay. The Picasso museum is kind of a disappointment, nothing famous. Walk around. Immerse. Enjoy. Come home safely.
Old Nov 25, 1999, 4:20 pm
Original Member

Programs: Delta
Paris is a great city. Just walk around and have a good time!
Old Nov 25, 1999, 4:50 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes, as Flyaway and QL say, enjoy the beauty, architecture, romance and natural wonder of the city as you walk, maybe with a stop at Berthion on Ille St Louis for some ice cream as you gaze over at Notre Dame. No problems except perhaps speaking/understanding French poorly! Have fun!

And as QL notes, if you love Impressionist art then go to Muse de'Orsay. Otherwise just hit the Lourve to "kill some time" across the river. The Millenium lights should lso be a treat.

[This message has been edited by doc (edited 11-25-1999).]
Old Nov 26, 1999, 1:08 pm
Commander Catcop

Sandy: if you have 10 minutes, stop in PrimTemps, the department store. It's somewhat like the Nordstrom's of Paris, excellent helpful service and buy yourself something French. Treat yourself.

My last trip to Paris I got the beret that I wear in the winter (there's a pix of me with a Lion in Boston with it.)

Take Quiet Lion's advice and go to the Musee D'Orsay. It's more manageable than the Louve.

Eifel Tower, but GO EARLY!!! LINES GET LONG.

And you and your husband should find a nice French Bistro or Brasserie moderatly priced and have a nice dinner the last night. (DON"T DO THE RESTAURANT AT THE RITZ OR YOU WON"T GET UP THE NEXT MORNING fOR YOUR FLIGHT! IT's THAT GOOD!

BON VOYAGE!
Old Nov 26, 1999, 1:27 pm
Original Member

Good decision. Paris is great. On the Eiffel tower, don't wait for the elevator, use the stairs to avoid the long line-ups: it's cheaper and faster
Old Nov 26, 1999, 11:29 pm
Original Member

Fantastic idea. I've actually made two paris weekend runs (IAH->CDG) this year. On the plane ride over I'm always thinking "am I crazy" but when you are sitting in that little cafe and sipping on an espresso, the thought "paris is always a good idea" comes through pretty strong.

its pretty easy to get to downtown from the airport - just ride the train into les halles (hope I have that right) and from there get a cab or stay in the system to get to your hotel/etc.

window shopping is always great in paris. just the thrill of walking around is very cool.

Old Nov 27, 1999, 4:40 pm

I have done London - 1 night and, another time, Paris - 3 nights. These posts give good ideas. The bottom line is to do what you like best. Like shopping, then do it without guilt. Like particular kinds of art, then do it. Like architecture, then look for your favorite buildings or fixtures. I like commercial aviation so I went to see the Musee de l'Air et L'espace (Air & Space Museum) at LeBourget Airport. Accessible by bus from Gare du Nord and CDG (171 bus??), it has plenty of military planes also. The museum is located in part of the old terminal and several hangers.
Old Nov 27, 1999, 8:53 pm

Defenitely find a hotel in the Marais--best location in Paris. Hotel de la Bretonnerie (sp?) is a "Best Buy." The Museum Pass is extremely cost effective and saves loads of time on line at each location. Metro Passes seem overpriced; a carnet de dix (ten Metro tickets) seems to work quite well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.