Search

Q. re Air PAcific/Fiji/Tonga/W. Samoa

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 1999, 10:48 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Q. re Air PAcific/Fiji/Tonga/W. Samoa

Hi all

Sometime next year I hope to use an American Award to fly to either W. Samoa or Tonga via Fiji.

Given that I have the choice of either W. Samoa or Tonga to go to which would be the better destination? Has anyone here any experience of these islands?

Also I know little about Air Pacific. Is this a safe airline and what have been people's experiences with their standards of service?

Thanking you

cheers Peter

Old Oct 1, 1999, 6:48 am

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
Tonga is an interesting place. I was there in 1991. It's the only remaining non-parliamentary monarchy in the British Commonwealth. I took AA to HNL, then Hawaiian Airlines via Pago-Pago. Don't know anything about Air Pacific. How can I help you further?

[This message has been edited by RichG (edited 10-01-1999).]
Old Oct 1, 1999, 7:44 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
We used our AA miles for free business class tickets to Australia in July. We went via Air Pacific from Sydney to Fiji--we flew in to Suva, but flights from the U.S. fly into Nadi. IMHO, Air Pacific is the WORST airline I've ever flown. We sat in coach and were packed in like sardines on the outbound. I refused to go back that way. Paid for upgrades back and it was better. But the chaos at Suva airport before our return was unbelievable. There was no line at the ticket counter, everyone just crowded in front of the counter. Frequently, one of the 3 agents at the counter would just disappear for 5 minutes at a time, thus further delaying the check-in process. We got on the plane 10 minutes before it took off and there were people still waiting to get their boarding passes. I have my doubts about them now--if their attitude at check in is non-chalant it could mean that their attitude about safety is the same. It didn't seem to be a very well-run airline from what I could see. However, there are people I know who swear by them and say that unlike the inter-Pacific flights we took, the flights from LAX are on 747s and are fabulous. I still would never fly Air Pacific again.
Old Oct 1, 1999, 12:30 pm
Original Member

I spent 10 days in Fiji and really enjoyed it. People are very nice, beaches are rocky, so bring those shoes that you can go in the water with. The island of Taveuni, Fiji is a beautiful retreat. Unspoiled and serene. Most of the roads are not paved. If you want high excitement, Taveuni is not the place for you.
My father lived in American Samoa for about a year. He liked it very much. Apparently, it too is very remote and less populated than most of the major tourist islands.
Old Oct 1, 1999, 6:47 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

I guess I shall just have to give Air Pacific a try and form my own conclusions.

My principal problem is deciding whether to visit Western Samoa or Tonga.

Ah... problems, problems...

cheers Peter
Old Oct 2, 1999, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
ffhound: good luck with Air Pacific.

As for Tonga or Western Samoa, I haven't been to either, but I know that in Tonga you're one of the first people in the world to greet the new day.

However, one of the beekeepers at Kawaiahao Church in Honolulu once told me that Western Samoa was the most beautiful place he'd ever been, and he lives in Hawaii!!
Old Oct 2, 1999, 3:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
You make want to take a few books unless you are "into water", but here is what an expert says from todays LA Timeshttp://www.latimes.com/HOME/NEWS/NATION/UPDATES/lat_cousteau991002.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.