Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Difficult client

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 1999, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Difficult client

I'm a part-time travel agent. This client paid $999 per person for guaranteed outside cabin with Holland America to Alaska. I wrote for an upgrade and the couple received a "C" cabin right below the mini-suites! His wife "fired" me because I didn't arrange for her NorthWest upgrade when they did not pay a qualifying fare, and didn't make up their mind until after ticketing -- paying a non-upgradable fare. I also booked a 2 for 1 Princess railroad trip to Denali. When she found out my boss wasn't going to give her a blow by blow itinerary, she called back and demanded one. (I typed her a 14 page itinerary which took 4 hours of my time.) They came home to Hawaii on Sept. 15 -- a $10,000 value for $3,000 including half price at the Sheraton Anchorage Smart rooms with Continental Breakfast and afternoon snacks for $150 per night. $3,00 for C level grade cabin, 3 nights at Sheraton and dome car & room for 2 at the Deanli Princess Lodge for 2 people total! Didn't hear from them since their return last week Wednesday. Booked their flight 2 weeks before their trip because the client bought insurance so if they didn't get a "good" cabin only after they found out their cabin assignment, they could cancel. Demanded a 2 seater. Wife constantly complianed that she would not go if she was on a lower deck outside cabin. I drove her husband to the airport (30 min. one way) even though she drives & got confirmed 2 seater even though the plane was sold out! (It was difficult for me to park & walk because I am crippled -- born with one hip.) Do you "expect" the best cabin for the discounted rate, 2 seaters for $300 trip and non-elite passengers, etc?
Do you expect your travel agent to call & follow up or would you call to thank me for all of my hours of time. She called 1 hour per day, and "fired" me when I was at work at my other job. I spent over 40 hours on her itinerary all together. Every year they booked, but cancelled. Want the best for the cheapest. They expect the best cabin for $999 7 day voyage on new Holland America ship which I got using pull since we sell a lot of cruises.

Thanks. Hope to hear from you.
Old Sep 20, 1999, 4:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
All I can say is "Good bye and good riddance" to that crowd. Some people get blacklisted and agents will not deal with them. Sounds like this couple should be on the distant early warning broadcast system so that agents can run for cover when they sense them approaching.
Old Sep 20, 1999, 5:13 pm
Original Member

All I can say is be glad you're not the one married to her
Old Sep 20, 1999, 5:24 pm

This couple validates my Five Ninety-Five theory. Five percent of my clients cause ninety-five percent of my problems.

I hope you will not have to deal with them in the future!
Old Sep 20, 1999, 5:46 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Just echoing the sentiment that it surely sounds like their loss, not yours! You can't please all the people all the time. Be thankful your not working for her just as well as not being married to her! 40 hours! For my agent that's a years worth of travel arrangements or 100 trips- whichever comes first!
Old Sep 20, 1999, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for taking the time to write me. Any more opinions?
Old Sep 20, 1999, 7:53 pm
In Memoriam

Dreadful people. It's people like that who give the human race a bad name. They deserve each other and will probably have a miserable life together. Be thankful that 99% of the people you meet are not like that. Now forgive and forget, put it in the past, the dust bin, and get on with what I pray will be a wonderful life for you. You sound like a lovely person, one anyone would like to know.
Old Sep 20, 1999, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone for making me feel better. I've had commendation from the state legislature for my work on my regular job. It's hard to accept when people don't understand how many hours it takes to make travel arrangements for people who demand to sit in the front of the plane when they are not elite flyers. By the way, I notice that the parties for the Hawaii PIP will be at the best places! I'm sure all of you will have a great time! The weather should be
great. With so few tourists in town now, it is very enjoyable. Fortunately, all of you will miss a dentists' convention in October.
No wonder all of you have such interesting reports of your travel. I'm sure learning a
lot. THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!
Old Sep 21, 1999, 12:32 am

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
After she "fires" her next six travel agents and comes back around begging you to book a trip for her, you can look forward to the singular pleasure of telling her to take a hike!
Old Sep 21, 1999, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
I'd say write the couple a letter and tell them what you told us. What do you have to lose at this point? But in the end, that will just take up more of your time.
They probably know that "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" most of the time, so they're chronic complainers and takers. I agree with the others. Good riddance. You know your value even if they don't. To heck with 'em!
Old Sep 21, 1999, 4:27 pm
Original Member

Programs: Delta Flying Colonel, Lifetime Silver Medallion, Million Miler
hulagirl, you went beyond the call of duty.
Did these people originally comme from NYC?
I would transfer their business to another firm or to your boss if he or she objects!
Old Sep 21, 1999, 5:55 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Flyguy, what's up with the NYC question? C'mon, you don't go for that stereotypical crap I hope! You're probably WAY too wise for that! As a FF I'm sure you've had the opportunity to meet rude (as well as nice) people all over the world.

BTW- hulagirl- I have a sister living in the HNL suburbs, Kapolei. She's oringinally from NY! Sadly, she too is often an abusee, since she is just so nice and pleasant to everyone no matter how much grief they give her.
Old Sep 21, 1999, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
I have called for Commander Catcop, who is flying in from somewhere on flight 911, and who will surely agree that ALL of his NYC neighbors and mine, are MUCH nicer than that!!

Don't we have a forum for gratuitous geographic insults?

------------------
I'm only in it for the mileage
Old Sep 21, 1999, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL 2+Million Miler, Delta Platinum(by choice), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum
HULAGIRL:

You are my kind of travel agent; going way beyond the call of duty to book a super trip at a super rate. I would be doing everything I could to make you happy so you would get me those kind of deals. You are way better off losing them and picking up ohters who appreciate your hard work. Even though I'm in Detroit, I'll work with you on major trips if you like.

------------------
Old Sep 21, 1999, 7:14 pm
jet

Programs: UA MM; DL SPG HH Gold
MRLIMO, so true about the five ninety-five rule... hahaha.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.