Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

security questions-in present form useless, waste time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 1999, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Do the 2 security questions asked on US carriers only waste time and are useless?
The big incident that triggered the questioning was in the late 1980's Mr. Nassar Hindowi was convicted by a British court of putting a bomb in a suitcase and asking his girlfirend to take it with her on a flight to Israel. One foreign carrier asks a different question. They ask "has anyone, known or unknown to you, given you anything to take on the flight?"
Old Sep 13, 1999, 3:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier Platinum, DL Gold, Lifetime Bonvoy Titanium
As I have stated in the past, these "security" questions are a waste of time in my opinion. Obviously, a terrorist/criminal would not answer these questions honestly. If they have the resources to make bombs, I am sure they can manage to acquire a fake driver's license or passport. Everyone is best served by upgrading security equipment, personnel training, and developing better programs in detecting terrorists.
Old Sep 13, 1999, 4:34 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

On my most recent west coast trip I was asked for ID only once- at the checkin counter which I went to on my way to the club only because I was going to try for an earlier flight and there was literally no one waiting. I do wish that security was a little tighter. El Al sets a good example but literally no one follows.
Old Sep 14, 1999, 4:56 am
Original Member

AusTXHiker - I agree with your comments about the security questions. For a chemist, making crude bombs (or at least explosive substances) is very easy indeed. For a skilled chemist, making sophisticated ones isn't difficult. Getting a false passport in the UK or US is fairly easy and the commonest way to do it is very well known. Only proper screening of passengers and luggage can do the job.
Old Sep 14, 1999, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
James, proper screening of the customers doesn't mean a darn thing when they don't screen any of the airport baggage or catering employees who can easily put anything (drugs, bombs) on any plane.
Old Sep 14, 1999, 10:38 am
Original Member

Stimpy - agreed.
Old Sep 14, 1999, 11:19 pm

Programs: SkyMiles MM, HHonors Gold, Avis, Hertz
I also understand that there is no "federal rule" or "regulation" which requires travelers to show "government-issued id" or such (don't even remember the language).\
I've heard a number of stories about people demanding that gate agents show them the law/rule. There is none.
Old Sep 15, 1999, 1:23 am

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
The ID card business started about 5 years ago during a specific security alert due to warnings of possible terrorist acts. There was a picture ID requirement issued by the gov't that was in effect for 60-90 days or so. About midway through this, the airlines realized that they now had available a means of combating one of their pet peeves: people travelling on other people's tickets (which I THINK is not illegal, but it is contrary to the airlines' rules). So the airline industry decided to keep the picture ID rule in force, and people simply assume it is a government requirement, when it was only for a brief period. But now the airlines don't really have a problem any more with barter and resale and borrowing of tickets.

------------------
I'm only in it for the mileage
Old Sep 18, 1999, 6:47 pm
In Memoriam

Only two questions? I must look like a terrorist, since I always get four: Whose stuff, who packed, whose control, and any gifts?

As for the ID requirement, my understanding was that it is an FAA requirement as of a few years ago, for all passengers above some age (14 or 18, I think).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.