Search

BKK airport hotels

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 1999, 4:11 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platypus UA PE MM HH Diamond
BKK airport hotels

Are there any clear recommendations? Is there an airside hotel? If so, does anyone have a their contact #? Any suggestions would be appreciated, as I think we have been convinced not to use QV [Lao Aviation]. The local manuals show Amari Airport [at USD170] and Comfort Airport Hotel [c.USD55]. Many thanks for any guidance.
Koala
Old Aug 28, 1999, 7:19 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
There is a hotel directly across the street from the older International Terminal. I've stayed there twice, access is via a covered bridge over the street. The walk is probably 200 yards.

Recollection is that it's the Amari. Place is decent, albeit overpriced. The $170 sounds about right if booking from an American reservation system. I've heard Bangkok travel agents are able to book it for much less.
Old Aug 28, 1999, 7:49 am

Programs: AA-2MM Lifetime Platinum
The hotel is Amari Airport Hotel. See the link:
http://www.asiatravel.com/thailand/a...ort/index.html

Asia Travel is showing a price of US$149++. I used them in Apr 98 to stay here and I think I got a rate of about US$120, but maybe the rates have gone up.
Old Aug 28, 1999, 8:17 am
Original Member

You should be able to get the overpriced Amari airport hotel, which is actually connected to the airport through a ridiculous series of Thai-engineered ups and downs, for $100 plus 20% tax and service. There are coupons in the Thai Airways flight magazines. Like most places in Bangkok, they will likely try to cheat you unless you are firm.
Old Aug 28, 1999, 8:30 am
Original Member

Koala- we've stayed at the Amari three times, and found the executive floor to be a nice experience. We reserved this through www.amari.com. They list an "Executive package" special offer for $158 single/$169 dbl with extras niceties included. Far easier to check in on the floor, than through the main lobby.
Old Aug 28, 1999, 8:59 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
For all hotels in Thailand, always check http://www.diethelm-travel.com They are the largest travel agency in Thailand and have the best hotel rates. I've used them and they are very reliable. Eveything can be done by fax, etc. They list the Amarai Airport Hotel for $85/ night. Enjoy
Ed
Old Aug 29, 1999, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA, SQ, AA, QF, CX, VS
Considering the fact that the new highway linking the airport to downtown, it is even worth considering staying in the city for much less. This even includes a roundtrip limousine transfer! Travel time from airport to downtown now is less than 20 minutes.
Old Aug 29, 1999, 4:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA, SQ, AA, QF, CX, VS
By the way, there is also a Transit Hotel inside the terminal. If your connecting flight is less than 24hours, you can stay inside the terminal building without clearing immigration and customs.
Old Aug 29, 1999, 5:43 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platypus UA PE MM HH Diamond
What a helpful bunch. Many thanks indeed.

Does anyone happen to know how to contact the airside hotel, within the BKK airport. We are transiting to VTE the next morning.Thanks again. Koala.

By the way, I have the fax #'s for the Singapore Changi airport transit hotels, and for the new one at the KL international airport - which is only USD21 for 6hours, if reserved in advance. Their rates are non commissionable, so travel agents either do not have them, or add a premium.

[This message has been edited by Koala (edited 08-29-1999).]
Old Aug 30, 1999, 10:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
for our (Gisela and I) day stay in BKK, arriving from Melbourne at 6AM, flying to Frankfurt before midnight, I booked at the JW Marriott at Sukhumvit (this Marriott is just at the end of the direct Motorway from the airport - no traffic congestions ever experienced here). I pay, for a stay 8AM to 8PM 90 US Dollars, for their Mercedes transfer 25 US Dollars per way.

The JW is in walking distance to (for gentlemen only) Nana and Cowboy ... but that's not for me (anyway I will be with Gisela).

Rudi, reporting live from Bangkok (from the other Marriott, Riverside / just transfering now to the Shangri-La with the Marriott boat, and than to a classic Thai massage with bus Nr 1 to the Royal massage school at the What Po temples).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.