Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel choice in Phoenix area

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 1999, 6:12 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Hotel choice in Phoenix area

Any recommendations for a nice hotel to stay at for a family going to the Phoenix area in mid-August? Need to be within 15 miles of downtown...Thanks.
Old Aug 2, 1999, 7:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
I love the Hyatt Scottsdale. For a family, it has a fantastic pool complex. The great thing is that you can stay at a very pricy hotel, for not too much more than some of the medium chains during the summer. We go every other year, but avoid the summer (use points). They also have a great Regency Club. It is on the outer limits of your distance requirements. Three great zoos. All very different. One over toward the casio, the Phoenix zoo and the one by Luke AFB. All very worth a drive, if you have the time and interest.

If you stay at the Hyatt, "dump" the kids one evening and eat at the Italian rest. at the Hyatt. Good food, very reasonable prices and a romatic gondola ride free w/dinner on the lake (used as part of the golf complex) and a glass of wine.

We have been 8 times for a week or so each time, and still have not run out of new fun things to do. There is a "comerical ..old town...to visit, fairly good food, rodeo sometimes, etc.... Someone from the area will likely provide you the name and area, I have forgotten. Have fun.
Old Aug 2, 1999, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Million-Miler
There are some very good discounts available in the summer in PHX for obvious reasons. I believe Marriott is having some sales at present. The Camelback Marriott is terrific
Old Aug 2, 1999, 11:35 pm

Any resort in Scottsdale can be a great bargain in the heat of summer. The best deal I ever had was at the Radisson Resort last year. Paid $44 for a casita overlooking the fairway (an upgrade due to my NW Gold credentials). Booked it through Radisson's own website. Nice property, but easily outclassed by the myriad of chioces in the PHX area.
The Ariziona Biltmore is great, but during the summer there are often office parties/meetings held there that tend to overwhelm the main swimming pool. If you can swing it, rent a private villa on the property. You'll share your pool with fewer guests and the amenities are complete with full kitchen, washer and dryer, dishwasher, fireplace, a couple of large TV's, stereo...you get the idea.
The Doubletree Resort properies are also very nice and are often a great deal. They all have great pools, many with waterfalls and the like.
I didn't much care for the Cottonwoods, although the suite we had came complete with a private, fenced in jacuzzi.
The Marriott Camelback is wonderful, especially for a golfer. The casitas are well equiped, if a little dated, but the pools are nothing special.
The Sheraton San Marcos has so-so rooms, but the pool is okay and the restaurant and golf are (or were) great.
The Sheraton Crescent in downtown PHX has a great waterslide for kids (and some of the older variety too). It has two pools, but is a little lacking in shade trees. The Club level is a great deal and has great hors d'oeuvres in the evening.
All in all, PHX is great in summer if you don't mind the heat (although humidity is practically zilch). The prices are rock-bottom (try Click-it Weekends or the hotel/resorts own websites for special promos). The important thing is a great pool or two or three. They'll usually be deserted, but for some European and/or Canadian tourists and the odd office party.
Old Aug 3, 1999, 8:27 am
In Memoriam

Programs: UA1K MM, HHonors Diamond + many more
sggolf

Checkout out the Hilton website as they are having a special in Phoenix with a Triple Mile Offer. I believe that it's still available plus if you book through the website you get a 1000 mile bonus.

Cheers Scott
Old Aug 3, 1999, 8:56 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Saw some specials for Marriott Camelback Inn and Pointe Hiltons (S.Mtn, Squaw Peak, Tapatio)...Any comments for families and location to Bank One ballpark? Thx so far...
Old Aug 3, 1999, 9:13 am

Check out the AAA $79 specials at the 3 Hilton places in above posting.
Old Aug 3, 1999, 10:40 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Often overlooked great value at Marriott Suites Scottsdale with very large rooms, good freindly service, excellent pool and a super value most of all!
Old Aug 3, 1999, 12:46 pm
Original Member

The Pointe Hilton at Squaw Peak is close to the ballpark and great for kids (they have an enormous pool complex complete with "lazy river" in which you float along in inner tubes. My friends with families like to rent one of their "villas" although I don't know if the special rate applies.

Be warned, though -- expect Hilton service.
Old Aug 3, 1999, 8:30 pm

Any of the Pointe properties are good, but I prefer the Pointe at South Mountain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.