Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The Sky or the Ground for Y2K: Plans Range from Parties to Emergency Plans (ABC)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Sky or the Ground for Y2K: Plans Range from Parties to Emergency Plans (ABC)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 1999, 5:05 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus

ABC news.com
The Sky or the Ground for Y2K
Plans Range from Parties to Emergency Plans
By Glen Johnson
The Associated Press W A S H I N G T O N, July 19
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/trave...nes990719.html
Old Jul 21, 1999, 9:56 am

Location: Winnipeg Canada, Cambridge England. CP - EP (R.I.P.) formerly AC-SE now lower than the lowest low.
I shall be at home with family and friends, as normal for New Year I will not worry about the Y2K bug, Astoroids hitting the Earth, Alien Abduction, any of the prophersies of Nostradamus or his ilk, frequent flyer points will not cross my mind, and the Airlines can fly or not. I may or may not reflect on the past century and marvel at its wonders and miseries, mostly I will eat, drink and be merry with my loved ones.
Old Jul 21, 1999, 1:38 pm
jet

Programs: UA MM; DL SPG HH Gold
Call me crazy, but I'll celebrate the new year in Sydney and then fly to Chicago via SFO later that day. It'll be a long January 1 for me...
Old Jul 21, 1999, 2:31 pm

It really would be interesting to see how many people will actually celebrate away, and fly. As to me, nothing can get me into an airplane over this New Year. I will be home with my honey, guarding the door against all the crazies that will be out and about.
Old Jul 21, 1999, 4:56 pm

good article, thanks Rudi.

I thought I just read last week that KAL was going to ground their planes because they were not convinced they had Y2K resolved.

I know, KAL grounding their planes for any reason is good....

[This message has been edited by shadow (edited 07-21-1999).]
Old Jul 21, 1999, 7:40 pm
Original Member

Location: Chattanooga, TN, USA**US Airways Gold, Marriott Gold
That night, I'll be at home, probably petting a cat at the key moment. The next day, if the problem's aren't too bad, it's off to BNA (ground) for our family's new New Year's Day tradition (a Nashville Predators game).
Old Jul 22, 1999, 11:22 am
Commander Catcop

I am scheduled to be flying home on New Year's EVE on American (DFW-EWR) Hopefully arriving at a reasonable evening hour.

That is: IF work doesn't say "Everyone has to work the (ALLEGED!) Millenium!" Our offices are a few blocks from Times Square.

If off, then I will hope that SOMEONE invites me over somewhere for New Year's Eve.

Otherwise I will be home petting two cats and drinking the champaigne I stocked up.

And (HINT!) it's a certain Flyertalker's (HINT) Birthday! (HINT HINT!) So I know you all will be celebrating this wonderful, kind and sexy Flyertalker's birthday!

Old Jul 23, 1999, 4:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: Delta Flying Colonel, Lifetime Silver Medallion, Million Miler
Why take a chance when you can forego one day of travel? Of course, in the news field you might want to make that last memorable announcement for posterity. The rerst may take out some dollars just in case. I don't think there will be any problem at all but plan to watch football and hope for no terriorist attacks. Rambling? Yes, it Friday night and I am home with the dog and not partying.
Old Jul 24, 1999, 2:44 pm
Original Member

Location: Tucson, Southern Arizona, North America, Western Hemisphere, The Earth, a small planet in the solar system. Previously OnePass Infinite Platinum Elite, now over entitled 1K
Looks like yours Old and Mrs. G. will be staying close to the hacienda for the Y2K. Cathy is a nurse at a childrens clinic that is operated by a local hospital that is not allowing "critical" employees to schedule vacation time in December or January.
Old Jul 24, 1999, 11:31 pm

gave up travel over the holidays years ago. the hassles with bad weather, crowds, etc. became more than i care to deal with.
Old Jul 24, 1999, 11:36 pm

In total agreement, fubar. Too much to deal with. Also, it's our anniversary on 12/31, so we generally have a nice qiuet dinner and get back home before the crazies start.
Old Jul 25, 1999, 7:30 am

At the stroke of midnight I'm hoping to be about to pay my bill at a restaurant that is not Y2K compliant.
Old Jul 26, 1999, 5:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
My top choice for 12/31/99:

Seeing the Eagles at the new Staples Center in Los Angeles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.