Where to eat in DEN?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to eat in DEN?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 1999, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (mostly earned on CO)
Where to eat in DEN?

I have a two week consulting engagement in Denver coming up - any restaurant suggestions?

Here are my old standbys in DEN:

India's
Sushi Den
New Saigon
The Fort
Broker (actually a "new standby" recommended by Geo1004)

I'm looking for some new places to try out. Thanks in advance for any ideas!
Old Jul 20, 1999, 6:36 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Just out of curiosity, have you tried (if not just for fun) the Zagats website?
www.zagats.com

Sounds like you're in real good shape. I don't know anyplace new!
Old Jul 20, 1999, 7:00 pm
Original Member

There's a good Italian restaurant in Cherry Creek mall called Sfuzzi (or something like that.) Also, if you have some extra time at DIA - Denver's airport, check out the French deli restaurant in the center of United's Concourse B - just above the train.
Old Jul 20, 1999, 8:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Broker is good but a bit pricey. For more casual fare and great food both for lunch and dinner try the Rocky Mountain Diner, downtown about a block from the Marriott. (I'm not a big meatloaf fan, but the Buffalo Meatloaf is excellent).

Also, the Palm is quite exceptional as is the Denver Chop House. There is also a place whose name I don't recall that serves some exotic dishes like Buffalo, Ostrich, and others.
Old Jul 20, 1999, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marr Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents
If you can get up to Idaho Springs try the pizza at Beajeau's or the Buffalo Bar.

Worth the drive
Old Jul 20, 1999, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

doc: I enjoy Zagat's, but find word of mouth often points me to places Zagat's doesn't.

leroy11: Pour La France. I eat there whenever I'm stuck at DEN. (Which is often.) Thanks for the suggestion about Sfuzzi's.

MileKing: Maybe the place you're thinking of is The Fort. There was a big state dinner there when Pres. Clinton was in Denver one time. I really enjoy that. I know there is at least one other place in DEN with a similar menu, just south of downtown; can't think of the name.
Old Jul 21, 1999, 12:50 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
luxury treat, high priced, excellent cooking, first class wine-list, old english fashioned interior: The Palace Arms at the Brown Palace hotel (historic site): the lamb, with a Colorado-herb and salt-crust.

and for a jazz-night: don't miss a visit to the Chapultepec: no entrance fee, no reservations taken, an american-jazz-institution (the old fashioned way), situated just across the Coors baseball stadium (East side), easy walking from the main railway-station (sorry - I don't have the address handy).

The Comfort Inn, in downtown Denver connected (and run by) the famous and historic Brown Palace, proved to be for us a very reasonable hotel (nov-98, and Gisela again in march-99). You share, with the Brown Palace, the Ballroom, the health club, the access (and charge possibilities) at all Restaurants (The Arms=****) and Bars, you can ask the Brown Palace concierge for his services/assistance, and you can sit (for hours) in the magnificient lobby hall (4 o'clock tea/coffee). We paid (double, breakfast incl,) $75/room, the Brown palace would be twice (on weekends) or three times that prize. The rooms are "like an airport-Marriott".

[This message has been edited by Rudi (edited 07-21-1999).]
Old Jul 21, 1999, 2:03 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
here is the Chapultepec info and www-link:

El Chapultepec
1962 Market St. (Market and 20th)
Denver, CO 80202
(303) 295-9126

and here is a www-link: http://denver.sidewalk.com/link/11633
Old Jul 21, 1999, 8:28 am
Original Member

The Broker is great, although I agree it's pricey. Most fun is to ask to be seated in the Vault. Last time I was there (several years ago) the meal started with a bottomless bowl of shrimp. Automatic.
The Fort is also great, although it's a bit out of town. Use a designated driver.
Old Jul 21, 1999, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Rudi: Thanks for the tip about the restaurant at the Brown Palace. I'm salivating thinking about that lamb!

Good tip on the Comfort Inn, too. I'll keep it in mind for another trip. I'm working in the DTC area (15 miles south of downtown Denver) this trip; staying at the Marriott there. IMO DTC Marriott is one of their better hotels, much nicer than the average "Airport Marriott" as you put it so well.
Old Jul 21, 1999, 10:44 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

dgolds- The Denver DTC is not too bad as you say. It used to be a Sheraton I believe. It was renovated around 1995-6 as I recall. My sister (formerly of San Francisco) lived nearby until about four years ago.

You might try down the street at the Hyatt Regency DTC, which is a little smaller, a tad more expensive unless you're lucky, but truly a great hotel. The corner rooms are super and there's a restaurant on the top floor which is also pretty darn good (or at least was). You also get a greta view of the Rocy Mountains as you know!. This Hyatt has superior facilities especially for fitness oriented types. I recall specifically that they even have tennis court(s). maybe for next time.
Old Jul 21, 1999, 12:03 pm
bryan at webflyer

Hey, let's not forget that Colorado Springs (a mere 60 minutes from Denver) is the home of FlyerTalk. Don't be shy about visiting, David, or coming down for dinner one evening.

There are couple of very nice restaurants down here.

Old Jul 21, 1999, 12:10 pm

If you want a restaurant with a fun atmosphere go to the Rainforest Cafe in the Cherry Creek Mall. It is a little loud, but also beautiful. The food is pretty good, too.

[This message has been edited by dimples (edited 07-21-1999).]
Old Jul 21, 1999, 3:48 pm

The best restaurant in Denver...The Riviera for great down and dirty Mexican a.k.a. The Glendale Country Club. I like Rudi, like The Brown Palace but prefer the less formal Ships Tavern.

------------------
speedbird001

Old Jul 21, 1999, 4:09 pm

Location: DEN, UA PE, Hilton Gold, ** Reactivate Delete Feature**
Restaurants in Cherry Creek:
Sfuzzi is not bad, nearby is Barolos which is very good, but a bit $$. They have a Creme Brulee for dessert that is fab. Yet another Italian place is Piatti.

For sushi (and other Japanese food) try Sushi Tazu. Chinook Tavern is German inspired and my sweety and I have eaten happily there a number of times. The Bombay Clay Oven has good Indian food and often live sitar playing.

Beyond Cherry Creek:
An interesting experience for meat, meat and more meat is Rodizio Grill which is a Brazilian steak place. Waiters walk about with spit after spit of things grilled. It's all you can eat. The best Indian restaurant in Denver (IMHO) is India's. The Saag Paneer (spinach with cheese) is numero uno. Normandy has very good French, but is another $$$ place.

If you have any specifics you're looking for, let me know.

Quantum (eating out in Denver) Leap

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.