Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Melatonin for jet lag

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 1999, 9:44 am
Original Member

Programs: AA2MM
The recommendation to start taking melatonin 1-2 days before travel is the "old" guideline, and the new being as above 3 to 5 not .5 (half)mg at local bedtime traveling east or west.

There are more complicated tables available as johna said, basically the dosing time changes by an hour earlier or later depending on either east- or west- bound travel. These tables are more helpful for certain groups of travellers that need more stringent day-night cycle control; but for the layperson the easy, simple just take it at local bedtime is good, and people tend to be more compliant with easier regimens.

[This message has been edited by burkey (edited 06-18-1999).]
Old Jun 25, 1999, 10:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA2MM
Well, I finally got the article finished, and for those of you who didn't see it in the FrequentFlier Crier, you can read it at:
http://ihtm.11net.com/tw.htm

It was probably discussed in more detail here than what I included in the article, but there are a few things in the article under General Tips, that weren't mentioned here.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 5:04 pm

Thanks a lot. I will try it on my next trip.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:23 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Awake for 14 years? Oh dear...
Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:34 am

I've been taking melatonin for a few years now with good results. If I take more than 1mg at a time, though, I am groggy the next day. Took 3 mg once and slept for 2 days. We're all different.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I follow the regimen in Burkey's post. It helps a lot for travel to Europe, though I would not say it is a cure-all. I won't take Ambien. I also sometimes take antihistamines to aid with sleep (though I am often taking them due to allergies anyway). As I have gotten older I also fly only business on overnight international flights so I can get a lie-flat seat and actually get a few hours of sleep.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 12:35 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
I'm with the readers who don't like to take meds/supps. What helps me with jetlag is a good run. If I'm dozing off when it's not bedtime yet, I'll go for a good run. It'll perk me up and then I'll be tired for when it's bedtime later.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 6:08 am

Programs: Enough
It's a good idea to take a quick-acting drug for a long flight, and then take melatonin for a couple days when you land to help reset your circadian rhythm.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Comicwoman
More on the Ambien....from what I recall, older people might do well on the 5mg rather than the 10mg. It is VERY fast acting. Very often less than 10-15 minutes. Have the blanket and pillow ready before you pop the pill. Most people get a solid 4-6 hours from the pill.

5 mg Ambien works very well for me (160 lb male). I just bite a 10 mg tab in half- much cheaper that way. And I don't sleep easily on planes. I would recommend taking it at least 6 hr before landing so you feel rested when you get to your destination....it has a short half life and does not significantly cut into REM sleep.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 7:46 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Moderator Note: This old thread is now closed.
Discussions on specific products may be directed to the Travel Products forum. Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.