Wiki Posts
Search

Can a zipper on luggage be damaged?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2016, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Can a zipper on luggage be damaged?

Just returned from a Delta flight with a new Travelpro suitcase and the teeth on the top corner are so damaged I cannot get it open. I hate to sound too naive but I assume I can claim the damage was done in the baggage handling? Did not notice anything until I got home and tried to open it. Advice and suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 6:35 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Yes the zippers can certainly be damaged. Not sure what you will be able to do since you are already home, so not at the airport.

Did the luggage come with any kind of 'repair warranty'?

DAMAGED BAGGAGE & REPAIR
Damaged Baggage & Repair
If you feel your baggage was damaged during a flight, bring it to the Delta Air Lines airport baggage office immediately after arrival. All damages will need to be reviewed and evaluated by the baggage service office personnel. If advised, complete the Baggage Claim Form above, in "Begin Your Claim", as soon as possible. You must report your claim within 24 hours for U.S. travel and seven days for international travel.

If we are repairing your damaged baggage, you can easily track the progress of your bag’s repair by visiting our partner site, Rynn's Luggage, at Netbags.comOpens External Site in new window.
Normal Wear & Tear
Delta assumes no liability for preexisting damage, including minor cuts, scratches, and broken zippers as a result of over packing, or for wear and tear resulting from ordinary handling of baggage.
Random Search Damage
If the Transportation Security AdministrationOpens External Site in new window (TSA) has made a random search of your bag, you will find written notification inside your luggage or a seal outside of your luggage, informing you of such. If you feel they damaged your bag during a random inspection, you can contact them at 1-866-289-9673.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Audie
Just returned from a Delta flight with a new Travelpro suitcase and the teeth on the top corner are so damaged I cannot get it open. I hate to sound too naive but I assume I can claim the damage was done in the baggage handling? Did not notice anything until I got home and tried to open it. Advice and suggestions would be appreciated.
Too late to claim the airline did it. You took it home. No proof it was damaged before you took it home. Some of the automated baggage mechanisms underground in the airport can damage corners of bags. Nothing to do now but take it to a repair shop or replace it.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Too late to claim the airline did it. You took it home. No proof it was damaged before you took it home. Some of the automated baggage mechanisms underground in the airport can damage corners of bags. Nothing to do now but take it to a repair shop or replace it.
Several years ago United accepted responsibility for damage we didn't see until we got home. Even knowing where it was damaged it was not obvious, though--it was obvious we wouldn't have noticed it when we were picking up our bags.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 8:10 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
I discovered a zipper was damaged after a recent flight, and UA refused to take care of it.

they said the airport's baggage handling equipment did it and it wasn't their responsibility.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:44 pm

There are two types of zipper damage that I see all the time. The pull tabs getting broken off, which happens because they get caught in the belts or in cracks in baggage carts. But usually the zippers are still functional in those instances, just harder to open with nothing to grab onto. The other common one happens because people overpack their bags, to the point where its bulging out, as well as being overweight. I've seen many bags basically explode when put on a belt or in a cart, simply because the stress on the zippers was too much. It also tends to be the cheaper quality luggage that does it more frequently. But nevertheless, that I see as being more the passenger's fault than anything.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:25 am
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by DENviaLAX
There are two types of zipper damage that I see all the time. The pull tabs getting broken off, which happens because they get caught in the belts or in cracks in baggage carts. But usually the zippers are still functional in those instances, just harder to open with nothing to grab onto.
I kept losing the pulltabs on rollaboards, so I went to a hardware store and got a couple key rings (just the kind-of chrome spiral ring, no fob on it.) About 25 cents each. They fit through the zipper pull and work fine.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
That is not true. There isn't going to be any "proof," but there will be evidence, in the form of "I zipped the bag up, took it to the airport, handed it over, no unusual forces applied to it between the time I zipped it up and the time I handed it over. I took it off the carousel on arrival, took it home, no unusual forces, tried to open it, discovered the zipper was damaged."

To somebody who believes that the OP observed accurately and completely and wasn't lying (and there's a good chance the airline falls into that category) that's convincing evidence.

The OP should describe what happened as fully and accurately as possible (and if I were doing it, I would consider and refute the possibility that the bag was overpacked or the zipper defective) and tell the story to Delta.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:34 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by OTD
I kept losing the pulltabs on rollaboards, so I went to a hardware store and got a couple key rings (just the kind-of chrome spiral ring, no fob on it.) About 25 cents each. They fit through the zipper pull and work fine.
Large paperclips also work quite well. Ugly, but well.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:00 pm

Programs: Global Entry · WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
Red face

Originally Posted by lili
Large paperclips also work quite well. Ugly, but well.
This.
There may be photographs of me in Japan where you can glimpse my jacket zipper is being manipulated by a large metal (paper) clip, bought at a ¥100 shop [100].
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Audie
Had this happen to me once, and I didn't notice it at the time as well as the damage was to a side pocket zipper only, which I hardly ever use (only realized what happened when I opened it and couldn't close it back). Samsonite replaced the bag on warranty, I even got a slightly better/newer model.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
For most airlines - be sure to leave the bag tag from the flight on it - or they won't accept it for repair
Old Feb 3, 2018, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
About 20cm of my zip was damaged on a Garuda flight. It got caught when it came out on the belt.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 10:30 am
Suspended

So it's been a month. It would be nice if the OP updated the thread to say what the outcome was.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
So it's been a month. It would be nice if the OP updated the thread to say what the outcome was.
It's been a bit longer than that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.